Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

what I am thinking of. At least for the DIY version
is that instead of shipping you one entire thing (with a lot of “default” for saving SKUs), they send you a long list of different SKUs in the form of expansion cards, modules, etc.
The only problem is that you need to scan maybe 50 labels to track a package.
It’s like Dell’s “included in this computer Serial Number” thing.
Not sure; we will have to wait and see.

yes. However, it is up to the community to start to make modules for them.
They had made some great promises so far. RP2040-powered peripherals, (also reprogrammable keyboard controller!), and they are also going to (probably) publish the CAD drawing for them.

For FW 13/14, the only such card that can be said of is maybe the full-size SD card. There are some other cool projects, such as 10.5 tablet. But not something that truly match the quality of FW team.
They did add the Ethernet card, and matt screen, which is quite nice.

Fantastic specs, congrats on the launch.
Could you, this time around, ensure that a European Portuguese keyboard is available?
Any keyboard manufacturer can build one and there’s over 250M people speaking and writing in Portuguese - thank you.

1 Like

I am really excited at the prospect of this, I have herd some amazing ideas for this, but I have to know, can I have this in coreboot, that is of course a deal breaker and is getting more important given the recent bios hacks

1 Like

Something that I want to bring to frame works attention is the spaces between the expansion cards, I think it would be a great Idea to make a way to remover the dead space there so the community could develop larger monolithic expansion cards.
(just make the supports screwed in instead of a part of the chassis)

2 Likes

Coreboot is not currently available. And there is no ETA.
There was a coreboot thread if you wish to read through it. [RESPONDED] Coreboot on the Framework Laptop

3 Likes

Keeping a close eye on it, the FW16 will be my next laptop. Zen 4 APU,replaceable GPU,and lots of DRAM and storage space will eliminate the need for my desktop. Looking forward to further details on Framework Laptop 16

1 Like

An input module that I’d really love is an analogue volume control. I don’t know if a physical slider would be possible, which would be ideal, but a dedicated touch slider should be fairly straight forward. It could be matched with a screen brightness slider, which would probably get less use but still be useful. Could the same hardware be used for both, with software controlling function?

1 Like

Would love to see an estimated day of when preorders go live or at least an estimated calendar of when the updates will be released. My current laptop is barely clinging to life and I want to get this one!

4 Likes

Not sure who looks after the Marketplace page, but they should consider updating the Bezels. People will genuinely be looking to order 16" bezels, and I’m no mathematician, but I think 13" won’t fit the same. :wink:

1 Like

Damn, only discovered this brand existed via TPU. Pre-ordered and ended up in batch 5. Probably worked out fine as the 26th of September onwards is when I would want to pay.

1 Like

just curious, what is TPU?

2 Likes

Techpowerup

We haven’t launched any Marketplace items for Framework Laptop 16, and won’t for quite awhile. If you click on the left for compatibility, the bezels are not listed for Framework Laptop 16. That said, I agree we should now put something on the product page that says “For Framework Laptop 13” or something similar. I’ve escalated for review.

12 Likes

New user here, not sure where to post this, but an additional feedback might be useful.

I’m a huge fan of the 16, but I need Coreboot to lower attack surface (many security people I know have the same issue). As soon as that gets onto the roadmap, I would order an all in 16.
Until that, there are other vendors :pensive:
(btw I really like the sustainability promise of Framework, awesome work and thank you for that!)

1 Like

Not sure what you’re talking about… I preordered from The Netherlands.

4 Likes

While the list of shipped coutries is still relatively limited, there are definitely others than the US:

That’s from Sept 2022 ???

For anyone who’s interested, there is a coreboot thread you can follow (no timeline, back burner type deal at this time).

I pre-ordered (UK).

1 Like