Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

Not the most tech savvy out there, but I’m curious if anyone thinks that the modules can be used for uprising speakers? Not sure there will be space for the cables in thag location

2 Likes

I agree with stargazer_alpha here: I think CAMM modules and top firing speakers (well, also allowing the removal of the bottom speakers to get a larger battery as well, I’d love more battery life) are the main issues I have with framework. Bravo, otherwise, though!

4 Likes

That’s a high expectation given the 13’5" has been out for the best part of two years and there hasn’t been any screen option, unless you do a DIY.

Note the new matt screen on the 13th Gen and AMD are not optional, the glossy has gone, though there may be some ‘extras’ in the market at an ‘extra’ cost

Hello, I came here after watching the LTT video about the Framework 16.

It was really convincing and I would have purchased it right away to replace my current Fujitsu A555G which is falling in pieces, other than having a bouncy double-clicking touchpad, the pointing device I use for the most of the time on a laptop.

In the last few years, it has become a trend of most laptop manufacturers to use ANSI keyboards in Europe, whereas ISO should there be instead. For those unfamiliar, the difference is 104 vs 105 keys (the missing key is the <> next to the shift key on the left) and the enter key which is larger on ISO keyboards.

Will there be an ISO keyboard available for the Framework Laptop 16?

I would imagine so as there is for the 13.5"

https://frame.work/marketplace/keyboards

1 Like

Looks like beast, but the only “problems” I have is this current ultra-modular palmrest. I feel like between all the possible locations for spring contacts for keyboard and other modules, the trackpad and the palm rest there also add a good number of unnecessary parts that might increase the price.
A new Framework 13(14?) is already expensive as-is. I feel like the 16 might be hard to approach.

The PCIe bay “ripping off” Dell’s connector is very brilliant. It is a great connector, but because Dell, you don’t know the pinout. Which is fair. Hot-swapping is probably not going to work, but shouldn’t be too problematic.

6x Expansion card is excellent. Although I prefer the old “hold down to unlock” rather than the new toggle “switch”. And I don’t really like red as a color. Color it orange or something.

1 Like

It seams that 16 is thick enough to have 2 rows of IO modules. Have you considered to add second row for at least one module on each side? I know that it would be herder to remove and they couldn’t be connected directly to the motherboard. (for usb 3.2 only it should be no problem) But it not only give space for another modules, buy it would allow modules with double height. In that case you could have better Ethernet module that would not stick outside of laptop frame. Assuming that height of two modules is enough for Ethernet connector.

It could be used for other ports that requires more space like: VGA, COM, PS/2, full size jack etc. (with the same assumption)

2 Likes

I think it’s interesting idea but not very practical, if I understood it correctly.

First 16 inch laptop is rather to big and heavy to be hold as handheld.

Second, there would be no enough room to close laptop if controller is attached, so you would have to remove it ech time, you want to close your laptop. Or they must be very slim, that would make them not very comfortable to use.

1 Like

Powerdelivery?

1 Like

Thunderbolt I expect

2 Likes

When will we have more information?

Can you install two ssd hard drives?

1 Like

The most slim (slimmest?) Joystick module ever produced by Alps have about 1cm in height, including stick. 7mm without.
How devices (e.g., GPD Win Max) achieved it is by digging a “hole” in the chassis for it to sit inside. Without this option your best option is a capacitive touchpad or buttons.

I think that would be a brilliant opportunity to have some form of RFID scanner module.

Yes I mean internally. That’s the beauty of choice isn’t it? The people that want it can have it and the people that want bigger battery can have that. Me? I use my laptop plugged in 99% of the time. If the battery lasts 15 minutes that’s enough for me to move it from one room to another.

2 Likes

This is absolutely massive, easily the best tech drop this year, i’d even say better than what we got last year. now i can finally graduate from terraria and hollow knight to more intensive titles on my framework! 6 expansion slots is huge too, i frequently maxed my 4 (really 3 since i charge it basically all the time) out with peripherals and such.

When will we have more information?

Can you install two ssd hard drives?

I am still trying to understand the not up-to-date screen to body ratio, in particular the “chin”. I was wondering why there is a 16" screen in a 17" form factor in late 2023…

But considering the possibility to insert new modules from the back I believe that the hinge construction had to be moved a lot to the bottom of the screen? Hmm, this would explain and mean that it simply can’t be done better. I assume a lot of expert engineers considered it.

It is just such an issue for many people, screen and portability are key for enthusiasts. And it counters the whole idea a bit. Why would someone want to perpetually upgrade a laptop with an out-of-date screen size for its form factor. It’s the one thing you cannot upgrade, but that is so essential.

Would be interested to know more, but this is just to stress that if there is any possibility, to please reduce the chin. This notebook is so close to perfect… In any case, I assume it cannot be done, which makes sense as well.

1 Like

In his presentation on LTT, Linus mentioned “magnesium” as the material used for the case. Was that just a mistake? Did he mean “aluminium” instead?

2 Likes

Absolutely thrilled to see the 16", I think Framework is closer than ever!

Still would love to see:

• The new GPU module capable of routing ethernet and maybe some USB ports to the back of the laptop as well as video
  • Intel Arc GPUs
  • Sensel touchpads
  • Coreboot BIOS
  • All-black chassis
  • Pen input displays, 2in1 hinges?

There’s a lot for Framework to cover, but as they grow, their vision of modularity certainly lends itself well to accomodating all the various needs in the market.

I’m super thrilled to see Framework taking the sensible choice of making the numberpad optional. Those things are big wastes of space and offer poor ergonomics.

Also really happy to see the modular GPUs and AMD motherboards.

Keep going!

3 Likes

Are there any forums to discuss the the Expansion Bay and Input Extensions? Having read the Expansion Bay stuff, I’m really excited to start messing around with design - bit early to actually build anything - but never too early to get started.

1 Like

Probably Creators & Developers:

1 Like