Introducing the new and upgraded Framework Laptop

Batch 8

Mine are fine and don’t have those problems

Nope again all is fine, no rattle

Seems OK I could argue the top is a maybe a 0.2mm dif from the bottom

Seems fine. Maybe you have big and blunt fingures but even then forward and upward pressure would work but it could be bigger

I have about 1mm left, top and right.

Never noticed any of the issues you refer to

2 Likes

You have a high tolerance…good customer.

1 Like

From Intel Newsroom:

12th Gen Intel Core Powers New Framework Laptops

5 Likes

“These types of solutions can ultimately help reduce e-waste”

Keyword…ultimately…

Ooh, interesting, thanks!

Just realised something…looking at the 12th gen mainboard upgrade photos, it looks like it doesn’t come with its own CMOS battery.

1. Can someone from Framework confirms or deny this?

2. Also, has there been any improvement made to the battery clip mechanism to improve robustness? Would hate to break the battery clip on day one.

3. Next, does this 12th gen mainboard now have the TB4 certification?

4. With regard to the 60W boost, can the 12th gen mainboard sustain the 60W boost for the full duration of the tau…and not thermal throttle down almost within 3 seconds like the 11th gen mainboard? For example, from this video you can see that the 11th gen mainboard wasn’t even able to reach 60W due to thermal thottling in the early tau period.

1 Like

The Framework is more expensive than an Apple M1 air in the EU and the same price otherwise.

Batch 9 here one of buttons is similar as described.

This is documented and know about Speakers sound quality - #20 by gracefu and they sound a lot worse than my 10 year old tablet and 6 year old phone. Then there is the background static which is prominent with headphones, the speakers such as they are… I have been using headphones.

I wouldn’t worry too much, knowing that you need to be careful is the main thing. When I replaced my mainboard I stressed about it a little but it was fine, not a good connector though…

Edit: just realised you were probably talking about the CMOS? They are always fragile :-/

That some complaints are documented doesn’t mean they are common or true to many people.

I have no issues with sound via speakers or headphones?

Perhaps you have the Realtek audio chip? I and I believe the majority of users have the Tempo chip. Unless powered off no matter the volume there is constant static when using headphones, perhaps you cannot hear it with your headphones. I don’t hear the static from the speakers though.

Have a look at this site it has some nice audio clips to test and compare devices. Alternatively this YT video at ~450hz demos the resonance I and others have experienced.

2 Likes

Room for improvement then.

Agreed. To be clear I believe this is a universal issue with CMOS clips rather than a FW specific one.

Also agree. Nothing stops Framework from being the one to change the direction of the industry…like what it’s been doing with repairability.

i.e. Repairability goes hand in hand to also make things more robust…less repair to be needed.

4 Likes

The 12th Gen Mainboards do indeed come with a RTC battery to preserve the RTC clock when the main battery is disconnected or in ship mode. We’ve also improved reset circuits to prevent the RTC battery from needing to be removed to reset in the rare instances where the processor goes into a bad state with low RTC battery voltage like on 11th Gen.

Coin cell battery holders in general are pretty bad, but especially so when X/Y/Z need to be kept to a minimum to fit on a laptop mainboard. Since it should be exceedingly rare that that RTC battery needs to be cycled on the 12th Gen Mainboard, this shouldn’t be an issue in practice.

11 Likes

Did you ever think about using the Lenovo type CMOS battery with a standard lithium cell with a connector coming out of it? Even though it’s proprietary the battery you use can be hard to find at times?

It isn’t here in the US, admittedly it typically isn’t available in your local grocery or drugstore but there are stores dedicated just to batteries here such as Batteries+Bulbs. Literally all they sell is various batteries from automotive to coin cell and light bulbs of varying wattage. As always, there is always online purchasing options.

Any news on the “X Y Z” battery life ? :smiley:
JUst ordered my laptop and am hopping for a real battery life under ubuntu 22.04 …

PS: by the way the google transalte texte doesn t mean anything french :smiley: Need to update the inters aswell :smiley: Stand by while lid is closed = une durée de mise en veille de X heure avec le capot fermé. For now it says you have to wait hours for the lid to close Lol

1 Like

Awesome! That’s great to hear! Appreciate the details & improvement.

Any info regarding questions 3 and 4?

Between the 11th and 12th gen mainboards, I wonder which will get the TB4 certification first.

Looking at the GeekBench 5 multicore scores, where can we expect the Framework laptop to come in around?
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?q=1280p&sort=multicore_score

1 Like

Just got the this reply from Framework Support asking about the unreachable 60W boost of my laptop:

Sounds like Framework Support is saying it’s wasn’t designed to be practically ‘capable’ of 60W boost… just ‘theoretical’ (Intel’s wording).

Sent a reply asking about Framework Support what the 60w Boost mentioned in product material is meant to convey then in this case…as it seems unattainable.

1 Like

This is a little concerning to me and I am very interested in knowing what tweaks I can do to get the laptop to its maximum potential.

That’s just my interpretation of the response from Framework Support.

Currently waiting for them to clarify what “60w boost” means…and how should we understand it, and have the right expectation (because it seems like the reply is saying what I expect is not what the laptop can do).

2 Likes