Is light gaming possible?

Can the Framework run light games, like Total War: Rome Remastered or Euro Truck Simulator 2?

1 Like

I think we might squawk on what games are considered light weight, but yes, you absolutely can. The XE graphics the 11 gen chips run is a marked improvement over previous integrated graphics.

And should you find that you crave higher graphical settings and frame rates you always have the option of going eGPU using thunderbolt.

4 Likes

@2disbetter Thanks.

But what games do you consider light weight, if not these?

1 Like

I am mainly playing game considered indie and are not known for taxing the GPU to begin with. I’d call them pretty light weight. (Nuclear Throne, Faster Than light, Into the Breach, Enter the Gungeon, Hallow Knight, Shovel Knight, etc.)

I guess the point I’m making is that you’ve been able to “game” on nearly every laptop that has come out in the last 10 years. Just not at ultra settings and max frame rates.

2 Likes

Literally been playing this compulsively on an i5-1035g4

Fantastic game for those who haven’t played-$10 bucks on gog

I really ought to buy into the breach since it’s from the same devs

1 Like

I booted up minecraft yesterday on my i7-1165g7 model to join a virtual dj stream and it worked great. First time trying a “game” on this laptop and I didn’t notice any problems

1 Like

I play a bunch of games on the Framework using the iGPU: Timberborn, Northgard, Gremlins Inc., Luck be a Landlord, etc.

I wouldn’t consider these really to be graphic intensive though.

For the more intensive games, until I can get a GPU at MSRP to put in a thunderbolt enclosure, I’ve been leveraging a cloud gaming service and running that from the Framework.

2 Likes

I got the i5-1135G7 and if you scale the resolution to something close to 1440x960 (custom resolution) or 1440x900 (16:10) with Medium/High details I can play almost anything at 60 FPS. I don’t have the latest games, but I got the original Crysis (meme game for PC torture) and Doom 2016 running fine.

PS shameless plug: I also made a video about gaming on the Framework laptop on my YouTube channel :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I put Windows 11 on mine for the holidays and played a few of my usuals: Age of Empires IV, Deep Rock Galactic, Splitgate (to name a few). Definitely on the “lighter” end of games with the settings turned down to low-medium, but it performed incredibly well in a pinch. I’m glad to be back with my desktop for gaming, but didn’t mind it at all while on the road.

1 Like

Using mesa drivers on Arch, I’m able to run Complementary Shaders using the Iris Mod on Minecraft, 45-60 fps at 720p. I’m pretty impressed especially since I would’ve never thought I’d be running Minecraft with shaders on an iGPU anytime soon.

Dota 2 runs natively on my framework at about 60fps. Its not ideal but its definitely playable. This is coming from a guy who plays at 1440p 240hz. If you have good internet, you can even stream your games from your main desktop gaming PC through steam while you are not at home and it will be a better experience than other much demanding AAA games. If you are just planning on playing indie games, I think your experience should be pretty decent if the screen is not a factor. I bought a hmdi expansion card to hook up to my tv at my parents house. Its amazing how far integrated graphics has come over the years.

can someone test halo infinite

@Jacob_Silvis Given the recommended specs start with a rx570 for low settings, my guess would be no, at least not without some tinkering with config files. You could do the standard reducing res to 720p or lower/turning down the resolution scaling. I doubt you’ll be able to play it at anything you would want to play at. It is still an iGPU after all, even if it is much improved.