Is, or will there be, room for an ultra-low-profile mechanical full-size keyboard and a Sensel touchpad?

I love the idea of the Framework laptop and want to support the company. I have read a lot in this forum and have already seen posts of others highlighting community desired features that I also want, including a Framework laptop with a bigger screen and a dedicated GPU. There are two ideas that I do not recall seeing and want to raise in case Framework is working on a bigger laptop with a thicker chassis. One is the option for a keyboard that uses ultra-low-profile Cherry MX keys and a full-size number pad (which is useful for the Blender 3D program). Especially as someone who has suffered from somewhat weak joints, I love the feel of a mechanical keyboard and how much easier it is on my fingers compared to a membrane keyboard. I know of only a small number of laptops on the market featuring mechanical keys. Those are Schenker’s XMG NEO 17 laptop(s?), and Alienware m15 R4 and m17 R4 laptops. I think those all use ultra low profile Cherry MX keys. Is there room in the chassis of the current Framework laptop to have an option for a keyboard with these ultra low profile mechanical keys? Yes or no, if Framework is working on a larger laptop, please consider building in enough head room inside the chassis for swapping out the regular keyboard for a keyboard with ultra low profile keys (if the height of these keys would require the keyboard to sit lower than the normal one). Although I confess that I have not used such keys, if they are sufficiently similar to my regular mechanical keyboard, they would make the writing experience on the laptop much better.

Besides that, a promising new touchpad technology is the Sensel touchpad, as seen in the Linus Tech Tips video ‘Face It, Apple. You Lost. - Sensel Force Haptic Touchpad’. (Link Face it, Apple. You lost. - Sensel Force Haptic Touchpad - YouTube ) Is there any possibility that this could be incorporated as an install option for the present or any future Framework laptop? I love the Apple 1st generation standalone trackpad, and having something comparable or better on a non-Apple laptop would be great.

2 Likes

Greetings.

As of now, the answer would be no. The Framework laptop’s keyboard has a height of 3.8 mm, from the top of the key cap to the bottom of the back light circuit.
The ultra-low profile Cherry MX switch is 3.5 mm tall. Assuming a 0.3 mm key cap is even possible, the keyboard will still require to have a PCB to form the keyboard matrix. All this would bring it very close to, or even exceed 5 mm height, which would be past the limit of the current chassis.

Might be possible in a bigger model though.

On a side note, while I daily drive mechanical keyboard, the FW’s current keyboard feels quite good to use.

1 Like

Awwww, that stinks about the height, though my hopes were not too high for the current model. Here’s to hoping that Framework comes out with a bigger laptop with space for such an ultra-low-profile keys keyboard. Thank you, Dosssman! (And thank you for the comment about the feel of the current keyboard!)

1 Like

Please see this: a whole keyboard with casing, not that it will fit in the Framework chassis :slight_smile:

• Ultra-thin design: with an overall height of 3.5 mm, MX Ultra Low Profile is currently the thinnest mechanical key switch on the market, specifically designed for laptops
3 Likes

Did the height change on the 16 inch?

1 Like

They said Framework 16 input modules, such as a keyboard, can have a max thickness of 3.7 mm. Maybe technically enough room for the 3.5 mm MX Ultra Low Profile mechanical switches but it leaves only 0.2mm for the keycaps and PCB. A couple flex PCB manufacturers I just checked list ~0.1mm for polyimide PCBs.

2 Likes

Nooooo!!! A Framework 16 with mechanical switches would be a dream set up. I would hate it if the ultra low profile mechanical switches were just barely too tall for it to work. It would be easier to swallow if there was no way for them to be even close to making it, rather than to get so close to finish line and not finish the race (if I may use a running analogy).

1 Like

Razer has already done Ultra Low Profile switches for their iPad Pro cover in 2016.
I imagine, they continued to develop this further, maybe they are open for collaboration?

That is their current ultra low profile lineup for keyboards.

There is no mention about their height, maybe someone from the team wants to get in contact to ask them. :smile:

Hope this possible - the fact that they are laser based, makes it PR worthy :wink:

Time for Framework to make a revised version of the chassis then ? lol
Joking appart, if Framework sells an mecanical ortholinear keyboard for the 13 one, I would instantly order it.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has a modified hinge mount made to gain the required height. Most likely for the Framework 16 though. Mechanical keyboard fans are dedicated and many of them already build completely custom keyboards and spend a ton of money on them.

1 Like

May be worth looking at

Part of a proposed laptop

3 Likes

The datasheet of the Kailh X switches. I am bad at reading those, has anyone an idea if they fit? https://www.kailhswitch.com/Content/upload/pdf/20180/CPG142501D02.pdf

1 Like

Somewhere between no and hell no
those 2 measurements are already 4mm and that’s whitout the switch between

2 Likes

For a perhaps clearer answer, the Kailh X looks to be about 10.1mm high including keycap and parts of the body meant to extend into the pcb. But not including the pins, which could be trimmed in a DIY build. Those switches are designed to be used with “through-hole” circuit boards which adds to the overall height. Oddly the pdf doesn’t actually list the overall height but it can be estimated from measurements that are listed.

Unfortunately I believe the thinnest individual mechanical keyboard switches available are Cherry Ultra-low profile MX at 3.5mm.

2 Likes

I do hope they are successful. I wasn’t aware they were planning to try to build a laptop.

3 Likes