Josh Cook's dual USB-C expansion card

Update email sent out, nothing much to report on, but if you did not receive it, let me know.

8 Likes

Was just going to come to post kudos to @Josh_Cook that an email was sent out, even if not much new info. But it’s something FAR too many projects, much larger than this, for a lot more money, don’t do regularly.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Josh! Glad there is a lot of interest in this project.

1 Like

are preorders still open for this project? definitely interested in getting more USB C ports on my framework 13!

1 Like

I don’t think so as demand is already pretty high but idk for sure

Yep, they will be till I start producing them where I will move into standard orders.

2 Likes

Since I’ve lost some comments, hoping to find an ““official”” one where you tell us where we can deposit/ask how much expansion card we need, could you tell me where I can make the deposit?

@Nello Here is the link to the Stripe Checkout to place a preorder deposit:

2 Likes

My wife is wanting a FW13 for going back to school. I just preordered 2 more expansion cards for a total of 3. These are gonna be handy.

Thank you a lot!

I’m actually working on setting up an online store so this mess will shortly get sorted out.

4 Likes

Not going to do Tindie?

Framework expansion card schematics are fully available. Parts of the mainboard schematic are available, and I believe the full schematic is available upon request.

I realize you aren’t allowed to share your schematics - just wanted to point this out :slight_smile:

any chance you can/would make a dual USB a expansion card?

Have we got a finalised price, design, device, shipping period, etc available? I’d be interested in getting my hands on some of these but only if I can make an informed purchasing decision.

I’ve read through the thread and see that preorders are being taken, but can’t see any finalised product information.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Well, i’m not Josh_Cook, but there isn’t enough space for 2xUSB-A in an expansion card. You might barely be able to fit 2 sockets, but you could never plug in two devices, as the plugs are much larger than the sockets and there really isn’t enough space for clearance. USB-A + USB-C might be doable though

A + C version seems interesting for the following reason. Assume you want at least one full USB4 C port. So you need to keep the ordinary USB-C card in one slot. Then if you add a 2x C card, you have 3 USB-C, which may be more than many people need. With an A+C card, you would get two USB-C (USB4 on the simple card, USB3.2 on the dual card) and one USB-A, which sounds like a good port combo.

I’m be honest, I would rather like to see USB-C mice and other peripherals, instead of USB-A. Would fix a lot of problems about ports (currently I use adapters, but how about type C hubs too?)

1 Like

There actually are USB-C hubs already, though afair, none of them support arbitrary port usage. Like, say, you have 5 ports and you can use any of them for anything.

I’ve been looking for one to build a framework dock with expansion card slots. The best I’ve found so far is one with four 10G ports and the ability to charge the laptop with 85W but no support for display out. Sooo… not great.

1 Like