Kensington lock port?

Honestly it would only make sense if they would be attached to the chassis.

And even then, one could easily unscrew the laptop and remove the motherboard.

So, very little use for quite a lot of work.

The whole point of a Kensington lock is to deter. The fact that you can open up the laptop to remove everything of value is not the point. The point is that you can leave your laptop to get a cup of coffee and be sure your laptop will be there after half a minute.

These lock are a deterrence, none of them provide actual security. But remember: you donā€™t need to outrun the lion, you only need to outrun your brother. And a Kensington lock still serves that purpose.

3 Likes

Thank you. This was bothering me earlier when I saw it. Most Kensington style locks are just a thin wire cable. A cutter can fit in a pocket.

Ok then, maybe get the thickest cable they make? Well if a thief is hunting for electronics to steal and has a cutter, they might as well have a bag to quickly conceal the stolen items. So they could have room for a cutter that can handle the largest cables out there.

Virtually all personal security is just to discourage. But if someone skips you and finds an easier target then it did what you needed. Framework should have added a lock port somewhere. Doesnā€™t need to be perfect, no security is.

It doesnā€™t even need to be good. Since most laptops donā€™t have it, any security will beat the majority of laptops. I would be happy if a crappy look that is removed in seconds causes a thief to take the MacBook on the next desk instead.

I just found this:

Not sure if that is real or not ā€¦ I hope there are better solutions for the Framework laptop soon. :smiley:

Has anyone pitched this to Linus? Does he read these forums? Would be great if he could market this as a solid alternative to the Dell/HP/Lenovo laptops almost all major enterprises use.

Kensington lock compatibility would tick another crucial box for compliance at big firms, just imagine if these employers with thousands of employees could adopt it.

I can also imagine inhouse IT staff becoming more relevant if they stocked spare parts for Framework, whereas currently they simply dial Dell/HP/Lenovo for support and you have to wait for an engineer te schedule a visit for service.

Really Iā€™m just looking for a way to pitch this so Framework laptops support Kensington locks, so I can pitch it at my own company for mass rollout :grin:

1 Like

This. Please Framework. At least add it to the upcoming Framework 16 and future models.

I have exactly the same thought, I would like to show this machine to our company but I canā€™t because the kensington lock port is one of the prerequisites.

1 Like

I have watched again the video of Linus showing the 16" laptop and it looks like this model doesnā€™t have either a kensington port.
Too bad :confused:

Does anybody know the reasons why it wasnā€™t included in the Framework 13 nor 16?

I found a simple but effective Anchor lock adapter from Multplx, it locks into my headphone port creating a lock slot for me to secure with my Kensington locking cable
They ship globally

I would just rip your laptop off the anchor, damaging the headphone jack in the process, and get the audio daughter board from the marketplace.

You could do the same with just about any laptop, at a similar cost in damage - the difference being at least the Framework would be more repairableā€¦

Kensington locks are a deterrent, not a solution. Like most locks (see lockpickinglawyer).

1 Like

Yeah, meaning itā€™s less of a deterrent than a normal laptop with chassis damage.

Itā€™s about deterrence. Used in the right situation, a little deterrence is enough. Certainly itā€™s not as good as a real kensington lock port, but we do not have that.

I understand the nature of locks.

Edit: Let me elaborate.
The deterrence is not just the point in time by itself, but also the ability to benefit from what you steal (e.g. to sell), with ease / minimal resistance. Post incident, with a Framework laptop, the ā€˜resistanceā€™ to get it fixed up is a lot lower than a laptop with chassis / kensington slot damage.

Wonderful project! Bonus points for adding an loud sound alarm that gets armed by activating the lock and triggers if the card is removed or the cable is torn out. Extra extra credit if it can detect the cable being cut.

Itā€™s about deterrence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember years ago in the corporate space we ordered 2000+ such locks for staff.

I think 1998 of them ended up in the trash.

1 Like

Yes please include the kesingston lock in your next iteration.
We are interesed in my company to use such feature ( for laptops we install at customers site with industrial soft )