Keyboard Deflection Kit

The From: email address and name are fairly easy to fake and doesn’t mean it really came from that address. However, I think nowadays it would be unusual if your email receiving software didn’t warn you by moving it to your SPAM folder or marking it as from an unverified sender.

Framework is using a somewhat problematic mail service, though.

Received: from g112.gc579f28.use4.send.mailgun.net (g112.gc579f28.use4.send.mailgun.net [204.220.171.112])
	by cs493.fc-server.net (Postfix) with ESMTPS id EBCD6C60D4

That’s mailgun, and I’ve had problems receiving e-mails from their servers due to them being on blacklists. This one came through, though.

1 Like

Anyone knows how thick the foam is?
In the RC world, I have quite some of that stuff here, so instead of letting them ship it to me, I could just cut it out myself and apply it.

2 Likes

I also don’t receive their updates, although I am told that they don’t see it bounced back :frowning: Emails from the forum and generic framework news are fine though.

The forum notifications also use mailgun: from g112.gc579f28.use4.send.mailgun.net (g112.gc579f28.use4.send.mailgun.net [204.220.171.112])
I’ve had trouble getting mails from Smashwords who are also using mailgun. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

FYI, it did get mentioned int he 7th update timing thread (where the keyboard deflection kit was discussed a bit back)

1 Like

Read the post and saw I had a message in my e-mail that was from Framework. Filled out the online form, put in my order number, and they said they would be shipping the kit out. Great to see the follow up to this. Personally I have not had issues, though I do not use mine as a daily driver.
:white_check_mark:

yeah! I am cautious enough not to respond to ‘third party’ domains, only those I white list ~ those domains I have previous contact with.

I’m pretty sure this is legit. Framework posted a Youtube Short about it. I saw the email after.

Since I already had a mail that my deflection kit is ready to ship (short after a mail that my order was succesfully placed), I wonder how many others also received their mail.

After a short chit chat on the discord, I learned that many people apparently didn’t had their order mail yet.

I received both order and shipment mails today on 17 September, there was 12 hours between those mails.

1 Like

I just received an email notification that my deflection kit order was submitted. No word on it shipping out as of the time of this reply.

Update: I received another email notification stating that the item shipped today via USPS. There was a 4-5 hour delay between the order submission notification and the order shipping notification.

I will receive my package inbetween 12h and 18h from now on

The foam pieces adhere to heatpipes as the load-bearing structure?

That’s what it shows.
If one pounds their keyboard so hard that they can bend them, well, I think they have larger issues.

2 Likes

I worry about the transfer to the board, micro flexes over time and fatigue. (Maybe PCB / trace delamination) After all, this (foam) is an after the fact attachment, it’s not clear how well the PCB is designed for to that on small, highly repeated vertical load. …but…I really shouldn’t worry as I’m not in this camp.

Delamination? You need much, much more extreme force to do that. Normally manufacturing errors, or processing errors like moisture in the board before soldering.

But if you’re still worried, consider that the keyboard is not being coupled to the heatpipes through solid contact, where force would be applied without dampening. Rather, it’s through flexible pads that will blunt typing forces.

Who is supposed to benefit from this ? All batches ?

Only batches the early batches shipped before May. The laptops shipped past May already have the Keyboard Deflection Kits built in.

Has anyone received an email about their Keyboard Deflection Kit shipping that did not put in the shipping information? I saw the form said it would use the default shipping address so I just submitted the form with the last section blank. I am yet to receive an email about them receiving my request or shipping the Keyboard Deflection Kit.

2 Likes

Here it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Batch 1 here, I applied for the kit almost immediately when the email arrived and just received an “Order Confirmation” email from them a few hours ago, so it should be shipping for me soon.

1 Like