Laptop lid gets really hot when the screen is in direct sunlight

Have been using my 13 pro for 2 weeks now and it is very good and nice to use with linux on there. But when i was using my laptop outside in direct sunlight, i almost burned my fingers on the lid.

So i measured the temperature with one of those point and shoot thermometers.
The laptop was in direct sunlight; the sun was shining directly onto the screen and keyboard/body.
The body’s temperature was around ~40 degrees Celsius (i was not pushing the cpu and it was in direct sunlight).
The lid was ~55 degrees Celsius. The lid was in the shade/the screen was facing the sun and brightness was set to max. The high temperature was there within 1 minute of putting the laptop in the sunlight.

  • Why does the lid get really hot if the screen is in direct sunlight (maybe some side-effect of that non-glare property)?
  • Do high temperatures do damage to the (touch)screen?
  • Anybody else notice this?

Should note, that i have this screen in my framework: https://frame.work/nl/en/products/laptop13pro-display-kit

I doubt it. I think if you put a sheet of steel or glass in the same position, it would rise to that temperature, just due to solar radiation. My FW 13 Pro screen, which is at 56% brightness, is cold (room temperature) on the outside of the case.

1 Like

This would be my guess as well.. but turning the laptop so now the lid faces the sun, the temperature of the lid drops back to around what the rest of the body was around 40degrees C.

How do you put it in the sun? Do you turn the entire laptop around, so the keyboard is also exposed to the sun and double the surface area (add parts that actually matter) hit by the sunlight?

so the sun directly shines onto the screen and keyboard. and when i turn it around the lid is then facing the sun directly (framework logo side).

I suppose this is a question of what temperatures can the screen withstand.

I personally would not use a screen with sunlight falling onto the screen - I think that is not very readable, even at full brightness. But I would be surprised if the official advice is that you should not do it: if you can read it, I’d have thought it would be fine.

I do work outside and the screen is pretty good/usable outside. But just checking if using it in direct sunlight with the high temperature measured on the lid (and my fingers telling me, it’s very hot), won’t break/overheat the screen

…and maybe give the framework team some feedback on their design, so it becomes even better :wink: