Laptop shuts down during sleep

I too have experience similar issues to what is outlined above. In my case, the system has an unclean shutdown overnight (while in modern standby). I’ve had several dialogs with Support and have tried many troubleshooting steps including reinstalling Windows, reinstalling drivers, swapping hardware, etc. None of these have fixed the issue. Also, as with others, some of the expansion cards have made this more frequent. For me, it was the HDMI card. Most times there is very little in the Event Log indicating what caused the crash and there are only events indicating an unclean shutdown.

I still have an open issue with Framework Support and will post back here if I find any more clues or a solution.

1 Like

My AMD 7840U F13 arrived yesterday, installed windows 11 all good until I left it with lid close and woke up this morning for the laptop to be completely shut down.
I’m using 3xUSB-C and 1xUSB-A. I just did the WD850 firmware upgrade and hopefully the issue is gone!

Update from my side after a week with the new WD firmware. It definitely happens way less frequently now but it still did happen tonight. Nothing in the event log that could reveal what happened this time while previously I had entries about the wifi driver crashing.

I’ll monitor it for a few more days, then I’ll probably go back to disabling modern standby.

2 Likes

And another overnight crash. Seems like the SSD firmware wasn’t the (only) culprit after all and the week without incident was just luck.

Back to disabling S0 sleep…

Just thought I’d mention that my 12th gen laptop has the same problem. Recovery from sleep works 20% of the time. Most of the time I try to wake it up it boots fresh instead. All event error help leads to web pages that state it’s a bad driver.

Don’t have a Framework, but have a similar AMD HP Elitebook with 7840U. Fixed the issue by changing the Network Connectivity in Standby option from disconnected to “Managed by Windows”, try the Connected option if that doesn’t work. If it’s not showing you can enable it with the registry key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings
Then find the disconnected standby key and set the attributes value to 2.
Battery drain will probably be higher as the network adapter will not turn off, but better than the shutoff behavior. Probably something wrong with the network adapter drivers.

Sometimes I flip it open and I see the screen starting up and it crashes right at that moment too, but most of the time its overnight. Super annoying. I use my Framework for home use and mostly browser stuff which is easy to recover but this reliability issues basically made me not advice this device to some companies I’ve meet with. You just cant have this when you have your Excel and PowerPoints open ready for a meeting. I do hope they can fix it, but I don’t see any attention on this from @Framework yet so I do hope this gets picked up and solved sooner then later… Fingers crossed I guess :confused:

PS. just did what @johnjo said, and changed the value for AC connected to managed by windows, lets see if this fixes it. Thanks for your input! (I needed to edit the regedit to 2 indeed)

1 Like

I cant say for certain yet, but the implied fix by johnjo did seem to help so far…

That registry key doesn’t exist on my machine (on Windows 10) and I can’t find it in settings either. Is that a Windows 11 thing?

@TheTwistgibber can we please get some more communication on this? The thread has been open for over a year now, dozens of people have reported this. I understand that it’s hard to reproduce for you but as I’ve said earlier, I’d be more than happy to try whatever you need or in an extreme case even send you my laptop (in exchange for a new one) so you can try it in-house. I’ve been able to reproduce this very reliably with at most a few days between occurances as long as S0 sleep is enabled.

Alright, @johnjo here on an actual account and I think I may have found the culprit, at least for AMD. After my last post, I encountered the issue again, though less frequently, and made 3 changes.

• Swapped the Mediatek RZ616 for an Intel AX210 (Installed 23.20.0 (1/9/2024) drivers from Intel website)
  • Downgraded AMD Sensor Fusion hub driver to May 2023
  • Downgraded AMD AMS mailbox driver to May 2023

Now I have been using the laptop frequently for over a week, even using the aggressive disconnected standby setting, and have encountered zero shutdowns during sleep. I strongly suspect it was the network adapter swap to Intel that fixed the issue, so it’s worth a shot to try to swap to Intel if you have the Mediatek one, since it’s only $17 dollars and easy to swap.

I’ve been using the AX210 since day one and still encountering issues.

1 Like

After spending a couple months emailing Framework Support, I was able to find a solution that seems to work. Note that I’m running an i5-1240p on my laptop.

Essentially it seems that being connected to the internet while sleeping causes this issue. Thus, by running two commands that disables this network functionality, it no longer occurs.

Those commands being (ran in admin cmd):

POWERCFG -SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONNECTIVITYINSTANDBY no 0

And

POWERCFG -SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONNECTIVITYINSTANDBY 0

Let me know if this helps anyone!

1 Like

Hey mine has recently been shutting down overnight when it hasn’t for a while, I think I’m going to give this a shot, is there a command to revert it just in case?

has anyone else tried this yet?

And wont I not get updates or notifications while in sleep mode if I run that command?

Invalid parameter (on Windows 10)

It is difficult to accept that either Windows (random shutdowns) and Linux (hanging in suspend) are struggling with standby problems.To me that points to hardware, specifically BIOS settings. It is very strange to see that the BIOS for the 12-th gen is flawless since it’s first release, nearly impossible looking at the competition (resources in development too busy doing other great things?). It is also surpising how much commitment and testing is shown in this topic from Framework employees. The community has gotten long hairs of testing and being annoyed on a daily basis.

The hardware concept is great, but this makes me wonder if I should recommend Framework, regarding supporting devices.

I agree. It’s an excellent concept but with the level of reliability and support its nonstarter. To be honest, if I had the option to return this machine I would.

I’ve had many interactions with Support regarding this issue and they seem perplexed as to the cause. I’ve been asked several times to reseat HW, reinstall drivers, etc. I even did a clean install of Windows. Yet, I’m still experiencing this issue.

Regarding the BIOS, Support has suggested that I upgrade to a newer version. First it was 3.06 and recently it was 3.08. That said, both are listed as “beta” and do not support downgrades. I’m not exactly willing to be a tester with my main machine. But it may be worth trying if you’re brave!

I tired, and it didn’t help. Made my USB ports unreliable. As a consequence, I send the laptop to a framework repair partner and have not gotten it back yet. I send it in more than a month ago :confused:

Neither 3.06 nor 3.08 has fixed it for me so that’s probably not it.

1 Like

I’m getting frustrated. I have tried at least the following on my 12th gen:

• Several combinations of expansion cards including none at all
  • Tried both with and without external power
  • Updated BIOS to 3.08
  • Updated all drivers
  • Updated SSD firmware
  • Upgraded from Windows 10 to 11
  • Tried different settings for networking during sleep
  • Swapped the Intel WiFi card for one from AMD
  • probably some more that I can’t remember

None of this works reliably. I may get a few days without problems and then it’s back. The only thing that does work is disabling modern standby through the registry but of course that has other downsides such as significantly longer wake times.