Laptop shuts down during sleep

I am experiencing this issue as well.

sleep study show many unexpected shutdowns, and event viewer shows kernel-power errors at the same time. My system has been on AC power the entire time.

• Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th gen
  • SSD Installed: Samsung 980 Pro
  • BIOS version: As delivered, I think 3.05
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: Definitely with battery, not sure about AC
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): other (displays, apple charger, etc)
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): none
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x usb c, 1x hdmi, 1x usb a
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): November
  • Any additional information you can provide: I’ve had this issue about 2-3 times a week

After my last post I removed the DP Expansion Card and had no “abnormal shutdown” until yesterday after I put the DP Card back in.

• So without DP Card (and with an open slot on right to the front): 5 days no problem,
  • with DP Card: 2 abnormal shutdowns in less than 24h.

But I see other posts here from people having shutdowns without using the DP Card. When the Card was not connected, there was no expansion card in the slot on the right to the front. Maybe there are some defective expansion cards in general or it is the slot that is having problems? Or the problem happens at an extremely random frequency.

2 Likes
  • Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th gen - i5 1240p
  • SSD Installed: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB
  • BIOS version: latest i think
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: On AC power
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Dell S2722QC USB C Power
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): USB wireless receiver for keyboard through usb c port on monitor
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 3 USB C 1 USB A
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): 19/01/23
  • Any additional information you can provide :
    Windows 11
    Any time i leave the laptop docked in and leave for an extended period of time i.e. night time . Been abruptly shutdown nearly consistently now, i never expect the laptop to be in sleep mode after the night. But when the power is off, when the laptop is left alone for some time it simply hibernates and resumes where i left off. In all of this the battery is all good never dipping below 90% etc

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You don’t say if you are using Windows (10 or 11)

The default sleep is that once the main battery drops 5% then it hibernates etc.

So are you expecting it to be powered and hence stay in sleep mode?

Windows 11, and the battery is no issue it seems, at any given point concerning this abrupt shutdown issue,the battery is at full charge to 90%, since i do keep the laptop docked in. The problem as far as i can tell only occurs when the laptop is connected to power and left alone for a few hours. From the windows system power report i can see all the abnormal shutdowns under ‘charge’ .

2 Likes
  • Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th gen - i5 1240p
  • SSD Installed: WD SN730 500GB
  • BIOS version: What it shipped with (latest stable I believe)
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: Both
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Official
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): None
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: Config 1: 2x USB-C, 1x USB-A & 1x HDMI Config 2: None
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): February 2023
  • Any additional information you can provide: 2x32GB 3200 gskill ripjaws ram; Windows 11 Pro on latest update. Additionally, my keyboard backlight does this odd flicker thing when in sleep.

I don’t know a lot about tech, but I do have a lot of free time and ADHD. I’ve been taking out and swapping hardware and disabling things to see if I can find a common denominator.

Holding all else constant, turning off the wifi/bt module (Intel WiFi 6E AX210 (on the latest driver)) via software switch in windows, 100% without failure has completely stopped the odd backlight flickering and I have yet to run into any issues with the random system shutdown in sleep with it off. I ran “sfc /scannow” and looked at the logs and found this: “Corrupt file: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys”

However, sfc finding and repairing the corrupt file alone did not resolve the issue with the backlight keyboard flicker (unknown whether or not it effects the random system shutdown).

In addition, my wifi network does not support WMM if that matters at all. I only mentioned it because Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report seemed to think that was worth mentioning.

If anyone wants me to try anything and/or provide any logs, let me know because boy do I have free time and boy am I hyper-focusing on this.

Should I try swapping out the Intel AX210 with an old realtek card I have to see what happens?

TLDR; I feel like this might be related to Wifi/BT module. Any opinions or suggestions?

1 Like
  • Generation of Framework Laptop: (11th or 12th Gen Intel Core): DIY edition 12th Gen with i7-1260P
  • SSD Installed: WD Black SN770 NVMe 1 TB
  • BIOS version: as preinstalled, presumably latest
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: definitely on AC, can’t say anything about battery as the laptop is currently always plugged in
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): two different non-Framework
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): none
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: configuration A: 2x USB-C, 1x USB-A, 1x HDMI; configuration B: 3x USB-C, 1x USB-A
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): February 27th
  • Any additional information you can provide: Windows 10 Home, build 19045.2673. Driver pack is installed. After first occurance, Bluetooth and Graphics drivers were updated through Intel’s assistant which didn’t help. RAM is 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR4.

Abnormal shutdowns multiple times per day, basically every time I leave the laptop unattended for more than an hour or two. According to the windows log, the shutdown appears at a time when nobody touches the laptop, so not when I open it.

Edit with more data:

I closed the laptop, unplugged it, carried it upstairs and replugged it around 00:38 as visible in the report, then opened it at 09:45 and found it shut down. The Windows event log has an entry from 09:45 that claims the shutdown had occurred at 03:29:10 which might not be entirely accurate considering there are lines in the sleepstudy until 03:40 and event log entries until 03:45. The last few entries are unknown events 7021 from Netwtw12 (apparently something related to WiFi as the event details contain my SSID and router name).

Edit 2:
The event log entries are the same as described in this intel support request although I don’t have the connection problems described there. Considering @Patrick_Vetter also described something related to the AX210, could it be that the system tries to wake up from sleep for an update check, enables wifi and then crashes?

Another update, one day later…

I applied the S3 standby registry hack which slightly changed the behavior. When I opened the laptop in the morning, the laptop appeared powered off (power LED off, boot screen when pressing the power button) but fully restored my session, as expected.

I still checked the Windows event log and saw - again - that the laptop had been awoken from standby at 03:29, with several error messages relating to the AX210.

You can find the relevant section of the event log under https://files.helios42.de/~dfyx/temp/AX210%20errors.evtx

@TheTwistgibber I am experiencing this issue and it is making the laptop difficult to use for work, since I have to undock the laptop and close it to move around several times a day, and when I open it I find that it has to start up from scratch and recover my apps. I do have an HDMI card installed since I plug in a second monitor when I’m at my desk. Is there a firmware update for the HDMI card?

• Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th Gen i7-1260P
  • SSD Installed: 512GB
  • BIOS version: Original Bios, not beta
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: I never put it to sleep on AC, so I don’t know if its happening there.
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Framework adapter plugged into a USB-C hub that feeds into the laptop, but like I said, the issue happens when it’s unplugged and I close the lid to put the laptop to sleep and travel with it.
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): USD-C Hub
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x USB-C, 1 USB-A, 1 HDMI
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): September 2023 (Batch 2)
  • Any additional information you can provide
2 Likes

My problem is 100% caused by something to do with expansion slots that are not usb-c nor usb-a. I haven’t posted in months because I haven’t had even a touch of a problem, to the point I forgot about this whole mess. This entire time I’ve had only the usb-c and -a, both on and off power. No problems whatsoever. Last night I plug in the hdmi card and this morning I open the laptop, half a second of screentime, and then it restarts–abnormal shutdown. Did a few things, closed it for a few hours, opened it again, exact same problem. It has nothing to do with the battery. Something about the DP card and the HDMI card cause the computer to freak out upon opening the lid and cause an abnormal shutdown.

7 Likes

I started having this issue a few weeks ago on my 12th Gen running Windows 11. Even when I did a clean reinstall of Windows it kept happening.

Over the last 2 days, however, I experimented with quitting Chrome completely before putting my laptop to sleep, and I haven’t had it happen again (yet). So it’s possible that Chrome is doing something bad during one of the many events that occur during sleep. Other folks might want to test this out, and if I learn more I’ll follow up here.

1 Like

… and I spoke too soon. It lasted longer without Chrome running, but somewhere between day 2 & 3 it still rebooted unexpectedly with no useful information in the event log. :frowning:

Can you do me a favor and run a linux live-ISO and see if the laptop still shuts down during sleep?

Trying to rule out a broken Windows configuration/bad drivers.

I had ubuntu installed for a few days, didn’t have the a shutdown problem (but that’s a very limited sample time).

While the shutdown problem hasn’t happened for me since switching from S0 to S3 sleep, I occasionally notice the laptop waking from sleep and spinning up the fans which drains a lot of battery (sometimes to the point where it’s completely empty in the morning). According to powercfg -lastwake, these wakes are also caused by the AX210.

I’ve ordered an mt7922-based card (the same chip as in the new AMD-based framework laptops) which should arrive in three weeks or so. I’ll report back with results.

1 Like
  • Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th Gen Core i5-1240P.
  • SSD Installed: SK Hynix P31 Gold 1 TB.
  • BIOS version: Newest stable.
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: AC power.
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Framework & Anker 737 Charger (GaNPrime).
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): With and without external display, with and without Bluetooth mouse.
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x USB-C + 2x USB-A or 1x USB-C + 1x HDMI + 2x USB-A or 0 expansion cards.
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): 1240P Batch 1.
  • Any additional information you can provide:
    • I have ran sfc /scannow.
    • I have reinstalled Windows, three times.
    • I have tested both RAM sticks together and individually.
    • I have tried another SK Hynix P31 Gold.
    • I have tried running the laptop with the battery disconnected.
    • Framework has provided me with a mainboard replacement.
    • I have tried multiple power supplies.
    • I have tried running the laptop without the input cover, as I also encounter the issue of the keyboard backlight flashing during modern standby.
    • I have tried running the laptop without the WiFi card.
    • I have tried a different WiFi card.

None of these have fixed the issue I am having.

Alright, the new network card is here. I installed it and re-enabled S0 sleep. I will report back in a few days.

Edit: random shutdowns in S0 still happen with this card.

1 Like

I had a similar issue, I contacted support and they sent me a new RTC battery.

2 Likes

Alright, I may have a lead. I noticed that my WSL instance occasionally freezes for several minutes with the vmmem sitting at 100% CPU. The usual fixes (such as disabling UI applications in WSL) didn’t help for me, so I converted the instance from WSL2 to WSL1 and since then my laptop hasn’t had any sleep problems, even with S0. It’s only been a few days so I’ll keep an eye on it but there’s a chance that those two problems are related.

Edit: and of course, as soon as I post that, I leave my laptop over night, come back in the morning and the problem is back.

1 Like