Laptop shuts down during sleep

Also have this issue, and yes, its annoying

• Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th Gen i7-1260P
  • SSD Installed: 512GB
  • BIOS version: Original Bios, not beta
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: I never put it to sleep on AC, so I don’t know if its happening there.
  • Expansion: 2x USB-C, 1x USB-A, 1x HDMI

@TheTwistgibber Is there any progress on this?
I’m at the point with framework support now where they want me to reinstall windows for the second time, and I don’t want to do that since it probably won’t lead to anything.
Just for the record, there are the things I’ve tried so far

• Reinstall Windows
  • Mainboard replacement
  • Different RAM sticks
  • Removing my SSD expansion card (only USB expansion cards and peripherals)

My laptop also often shuts down right after unlocking (desktop shows, then it dies) and the event viewer also reports an unexpected shutdown quite a bit earlier when the laptop was not in use.

I’ve been affected by unexpected shutdowns during sleep on an intermittent basis since I bought the laptop a few months ago. (EDIT: To clarify, I put the laptop to sleep, either via start menu or by closing the lid, and when I come back to it later it is shut down.) Fortunately, I haven’t ever lost any data, but it’s finally reached the point where the constant full reboots are annoying enough that I’ve started searching for a solution.

Order details:

• System: Intel® Core™ i7-1280P
  • Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
  • Memory: DDR4-3200 - 32GB (1 x 32GB)
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Home (Download)

(I updated the BIOS via a download from the Framework website after receiving the laptop, in early Mar 2023, as advised. Not sure of the exact version number.)

Windows version:

• Edition: Windows 11 Home
  • Version: 22H2
  • Installed on: 28/‎02/‎2023
  • OS build: 22621.1992
  • Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22644.1000.0
  • (Despite the old-seeming version, Windows Update assures me that I’m fully up-to-date.)

Expansion cards: 2xUSB-C (back left & back right), USB-A (front left), HDMI (front right)

On performing a sleep study, all of the recent Abnormal Shutdowns supposedly occurred at the exact instant that I powered on the laptop after trying to put it to sleep. As observed above, this is probably an issue with the logging - if the logging doesn’t know what time the abnormal shutdown occurred, it sets it to the next startup.

In Event Viewer, I have several frequently-occurring informational events while the computer is asleep:

• Event ID 12 from UserModePowerService: Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:1472) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

• Event ID 7025 from netwtw10: The description for Event ID 7025 from source Netwtw10 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. […] The following information was included with the event: \Device\NDMP1 Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

• Same event, but with event ID 7026

• Event ID 11 from stornvme: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0.

Actions taken as a result of reading this thread:

• Used the Intel driver update system to detect & install updates (it found newer drivers for wifi & bluetooth)
  • Set the hard disk timeout to several days
  • Disconnected the HDMI expansion card

I’ll try to remember to come back with an update about whether the problem persists.

1 Like

@TheTwistgibber
@FrameworkSupport
Please give us an update on your investigation!
This issue is open for almost a year and we still don’t have a real solution :frowning:
For me the DP expansion card is the issue, after removing it, everythings works well. Today I re-inserted it and the shit is starting again :confused:

Thanks a lot in advance!

@Rupert_Woods did this end up fixing the issue for you?

@FrameworkSupport

If this helps at all. I was asked to upgrade to bios version 3.06 by Framework Support and it didn’t fix the issue. I have the same issues as the others here but I’m only using 3 USBC and one regular usb port.

@Noah_Lim Yes, the RTC Battery replacement worked for me. Haven’t had any issue since.

1 Like

@Rupert_Woods and your problem was the same as the original poster’s problem?

@Noah_Lim Yes, looks similar to my issue. This was what I sent to Framework Support in my initial ticket request.

Subject: BIOS Resets and Hardware Crash

Description: Batch 4 i71165G7, BIOS v3.17, Windows 11
I have had a number of hardware crashes when the computer enters sleep and during a shutdown. This issue occurred while plugged in and on the battery. I only used the Framework charger to charge the laptop. Once the crash happens, the only way to start the computer is to plug in and the power button lights up and the memory training starts. Once the computer is booted, all of the previous BIOS setting that reverted back to default. The BIOS setting that I have to change are:
Power Button light to low
Power On AC Attach
Charge limit to 84%
Additionally, my SSD software shows “Unsafe Power Shutdown” count has increased by 1 after each occurrence. I and currently using a Crucial P5 Pluss 2TB SSD.

2 Likes

In my case the laptop doesn’t do memory training after a shutdown and does safe all bios settings. Also, replacing the mainboard (including the RTC Battery) didn’t help at all. So it seems to be a different issue from what some of us (me at least) are having.

@AnotherBoringUser

I’m wondering if the cause of this is due to a ssd, ram, or battery issue. Because a couple users I’ve seen did a whole mobo replacement and it didn’t fix the issue.

Also got an update. Yesterday FW support got back to me and wanted to inspect the components underneath the black stickers and the whole mainboard in general.

They also wanted me to use one stick of ram to see if the other is causing the issue.

As well as sending in my event viewer logs.

@Noah_Lim
There are SSDs from different brands in use among the people that have this problem. Also:

I have two sticks of RAM in use and experienced the issue with just one or the other installed, although I wouldn’t want to rule that out as a possibility.
I don’t know if anyone has tried replacing the battery yet. But that raises the question how the laptop would handle a somehow broken battery while still connected to power.

@AnotherBoringUser

It could very well be a defective battery. Although I feel like it would just occasionally have a sudden power loss.

Has anyone actually observed this issue not during sleep?

Does it shutdown or just have a sudden power loss?

This could be very helpful in narrowing down the issue to the battery.

@Noah_Lim In my case the laptop sometimes also just dies right after unlocking it (I put my finger on the reader, the desktop shows up, then it goes black). It still reports the shutdown happening a few hours earlier in the event log. I don’t know how to interpret that behavior though.

Reporting another case, I also have this exact issue. I’ve been going back and forth with Framework support for over six months and haven’t made any progress unfortunately.

Specs

• Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th Gen Core i7-1260P.
  • SSD Installed: WD Black SN850
  • BIOS version: Newest stable / newest beta
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: Both
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Framework stock charger
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): None
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x USB-C + 1x USB-A + 1x HDMI
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): My payment went through in early August 2022, don’t remember when it arrived.

Symptoms

Power usually seems to cut during sleep - I’ll resume from sleep and the laptop will boot from scratch instead of resuming from sleep or hibernation. It’s not predictable when this happens, anywhere from a couple times a day to once every few days. I’ve seen it happen on battery and on charger. Every now and then I’ll see the cut happen shortly after opening the laptop, but usually it’s during sleep.

The only thing that seemed to prevent the issue for multiple weeks was removing the HDMI expansion card (the others were OK), although replacing the HDMI expansion card did not solve the issue.

I also see the abnormal shutdown messages in Event Viewer logged around half an hour earlier than they actually occur

SW/HW Debugging

• Upgraded BIOS
  • Used more up-to-date drivers with Intel Driver & Support Assistant
  • Verified SSD firmware is up-to-date
  • Tried every combination of expansion cards (2 USB-C, 1 USB-A, 1 HDMI)
  • WhoCrashed debugging
  • Every permutation of RAM
  • RAM integrity test
  • Increasing hibernation file size
  • Dissassembling and reassembling the entire laptop to ensure connectors are seated
  • Changing power/sleep/USB settings
  • Temporarily removing the RTC battery
  • Verifying Windows system integrity (in addition to many fresh W11 reinstalls)

RMAs

1. Replaced HDMI expansion card, because to this date, operating without it has been the only intervention that seems to have stopped the power cuts for multiple weeks. This did not work, however.

2. Replaced the mainboard on my end, didn’t work.

3. Sent the laptop to Framework’s repair center in NJ to make whichever repairs were necessary to resolve the issue. To my understanding, they replaced the mainboard for a second time and replaced the microphone cable to fix another unrelated issue. This did not work.

4. Replaced the whole laptop, excluding the SSD, RAM, and expansion cards (?). This did not work.

5. Mailing back to the repair center next, will see how this goes.

So yeah

Framework support currently insists this is a SW issue, but I see this on every fresh W11 install I perform and clearly I’m not alone given this thread. I haven’t had a working laptop for a whole year at this point and I really don’t know what to do.

6 Likes

Thanks to everyone who adds his or her situation to this thread!
To sum it up: A ton of users doing a lot of testing, replacing and stuff, but no solution up to now.

I understand, that this issue may be hard to solve our even to locate. BUT I’m not happy with the communication strategy of framework.

Please, keep us updated here as well!
Handling many individual support requests is fine, but we as a community do not have an overview or clue what’s happening.

My 2 cents.
@TheTwistgibber

2 Likes

SO… I searched a while ago and found that some Dell users with 12th gen chips had a similar problem. Their solution is to change the battery mode to high performance in the windows settings, which they say can effectively reduce random shutdowns, although it cannot be completely avoided.

Then I started using Linux on FW13 for a while and the random shutdowns completely disappeared. I’m starting to suspect that this all has something to do with Windows and 12th gen intel chips.

After going back to Windows, the random shutdowns came back. I did a lot of testing and found that when not using any expansion cards, the probability of random shutdowns is almost non-existent. Some time, I would use a USB extender to connect my Wacom devices. There are times when I put the FW13 to sleep first and then disconnect the USB extender, almost every time I do it causes the FW to shut down.

In the end, I think this problem is also related to the expansion card.

I tried connecting two type C expansion cards to the FW13 and continued to use it, making sure I didn’t disconnect any devices connected to the FW13 in sleep mode. It worked without any issues for the next week. Then I plugged in the type A expansion card, and within 12 hours it automatically shut down again.

Now I olny use 4 type C expansion cards. It’s been a few months and it didn’t shut down randomly once. I don’t know why, but I hope my story helps you guys.

5 Likes

@Fenghua_Zhao

This makes a lot of sense as I have a similar setup to when you first described. I have 3 USBC and one usb a (regular) expansion cards. Do you think it’s worth using my spare usb C to try out?

This certainly is very helpful.

2 weeks later (see post 163 above) and I have had no unexpected shutdowns. Further, hibernation has worked properly (ie. it happened when the laptop had been asleep for a long time on battery).

I am fairly certain that the key part of my solution was to use nothing but USB-A and USB-C expansion cards. (I’ve got a big hole in the side of my laptop where I used to have a HDMI expansion card, but that’s a small price to pay.)

Caveat: I haven’t done a full test, because I haven’t tried a few weeks of normal use with the HDMI expansion card plugged-in.

1 Like

@Jonathan_Jowett

Interesting, Fengua reports that using USB A causes the issue. And I’m using 3 USBC and 1 USB A and still have the issue. But you report that the HDMI port is causing your issue.

I’m beginning to believe that no matter the expansion card a bunch of us received deffective cards.

I’m just about to swap into 4 USB C and I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like