Laptop struggles with even trivial tasks (Thermal issues?)

well, i’ve failed on the first test. closed every background task I could think of. I let it sit for ~5 minutes.

I hit the “reset min/max/average” button about 10 seconds before taking this screenshot. I’m not sure what the temp is but if the laptop was idling 12 degrees above ambient it would be 38 degrees and it’s definitely not that hot. Ambient is 25 at most.

as you can see above, it’s idling at ~50C.

It’s not cooling back down and i don’t know what Tau is, but i have now waited two minutes. still idling at 50C.

[edit: forgot to insert this quote]

here it is after ~2 minutes. CPU package power is only 27W. it jumped to 95C after like two seconds.

Close Firefox, close task manager. Close everything that you can find an Exit / Quit button on, except HWInfo64 and those in the system tray that can’t be closed.

Let’s get to that first baseline, power consumption at idle. By closing apps / processes that are not required.

Also, I see that Windows Update is running? Let that do its thing…till its done.

For reference / comparison, here’s my unit at 5minute idle:

closed a couple other things. no signifigant change.

windows update isn’t actually running; it’s just bugging me to update to 11.

You need to figure out what else is running in the background.

Something is consuming 2W averaged over the last 34 seconds.

I’ve killed every process I know I can kill. I don’t know what else to do T_T

Take a look over here:
Power optimizations under Windows: lower temps, longer battery life - Framework Laptop - Framework Community

If you have Edge running in the background (it is by default), you’ll need to go to Edge’s SettingsSystem and performance:
Disable Startup boost
Disable Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed

@SIGSTACKFAULT

Thanks for answering my questions before. I have one final suggestion, although finicky. I’d suggest if you’re feeling confident enough to disassemble your fan Module and re-paste your CPU.

It’s not ideal, but it’s also the only other thing I can think of that could possibly help.

Best Regards,
Varg

3 Likes

I am not.

Completely understandable, in that case, I hope that the Official Support Channels are able to resolve your Incident. Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestions :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Varg

I’m surprised no-one has pointed this out yet… While it appears to be working, the laptop is really supposed to be running with 3200Mhz (Native, not XMP) RAM. That could be a notable cause of the lack of performance.

2 Likes

Would you mind elaborating on this? I genuinely find this point interesting and would like to know more.

Best Regards,
Varg

I don’t know anything about RAM speeds and feeds. It’s all magic numbers to me.

It could be the cannibalized RAM is causing the issue from what I am gathering. If this is the case then I believe the framework marketplace can provide something appropriate or even your local computer hardware store.

From my own experience, RAM for laptops is a tricksy business for sorting out when it comes to anything other than what the manufacturer provisions. Perhaps there’s a buyer’s guide for RAM here on the forum somewhere?

Best Regards,
Varg

…because slow RAM doesn’t cause PROCHOT.

Not normally, no. But one has to take into account that this generation of processors were all really designed to utilize soldered DIMMs at LPDDR4x-4267 or standard
DDR4-3200. Not to the extent that AMD Ryzen absolutely needs FAST RAM for processor functions, Intel has probably followed in kind, offloading parts of the processor’s capabilities, making it reliant upon the memory speed.

We have a processor that is only spec’d for 2 speeds, and a motherboard that is only really spec’d for one (With no support for XMP, meaning that it needs a native 3200Mhz). A portion of this puzzle may very well be that DDR4 RAM from the beginning of the DDR4 Generation of RAM isn’t able to give the processor what it needs, when it needs it. And the processor in response is hitting limits that it normally would not be hitting because of it.

We’re talking about a mostly standard product, with pretty tight requirements on stuff like RAM speed, and a suggested QVL list for models, speeds, timings, and capacities. We have an item that we know off the bat is not on a few of these lists. As far as troubleshooting goes, it seems like a decent item to take a look at. “What separates this laptop from the hundreds/thousands of others that seem to be chugging along?”

Framework has made a list of tested DIMMS with model numbers, beyond this list forum members have had success with other kits “around” these product numbers.

This is my gut feeling too, ultimately. Perhaps the original paste was pushed too thin, or the thermal pads are not placed correctly. Stuff happens.

Not going to push the issue, though if it is from just a state of not being familiar, and needing a guide, Framework has one:

No. We have a processor that’s spec’d for 2 maximum speeds base on memory type (DDR4, and LPDDR4/x)

Take Intel’s LPDDR4/x memory validation for example. It’s not just supporting 4266MHz alone. 4266MHz is the maximum supported speed of LPDDR4/x:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/platforms/details/tiger-lake-up3/docs.html?s=Newest

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/platforms/details/tiger-lake-up3.html

Take some lower-end Tiger Lake UP3 laptops…they’re paired with DDR4-2133MHz memory. That’s how they cheap out on you in various areas (memory speed, storage speed, TBW, power supply, display panel colour space coverage…etc)

1 Like

@Second_Coming

I noticed once my laptop was throttling instead of ramping the fan(s) up, resulting in very low performance in games (Windows 11).

It’s happened again today, so I came to the forum and spotted this post.

I’m on latest BIOS 1.37, up to date drivers etc. The fan is running, but it won’t ramp up when the CPU is under load.

Very strange.

The BIOS 3.07 (right?) is not the latest any more. The 3.10 is the latest.