Low profile rj45

Its a shame that there is not low profile rj45 equivalent connector. like micro USB or mini HDMI. I feel like so many devices could benefit from a standard like that or maybe it would just make it more complicated.

5 Likes

It’s an interesting concept, but really the issue would be one of industry adoption. Minor side note, technically what most people call RJ45 isn’t actually RJ45, but a visually similar connector called 8P8C. If you have an ethernet cable, that’s an 8P8C plug on the end, not RJ45. As far as a low profile plug and socket, I don’t see any reason one couldn’t be made, and fairly easily, but then you’d have to convince manufacturers to adopt it, and it would no doubt cause headaches for people during it’s initial rollout. Imagine you’re some random person who just bought a new router, only to discover it has some weird half-height 8P8C sockets on it that you’ve never seen before and none of your existing ethernet cables plug into? You’d probably be pretty annoyed at that.

3 Likes

If something were to replace current ethernet plugs, hopefully they’d do away with the horrid tabs which consistently break off. Although I’d be a bit torn if they couldn’t be cut/crimped by the user.

2 Likes

If there’s a will there’s a way.
But yeah it would be cool if RJ45 got replaced by usb-c.

3 Likes

ya but you cant really make your own USB cables without a lot of effort and the USB standard is not designed to do long distance runs.

2 Likes

@Isidoro_Cosentino yeah forgot about that, length is a problem, guess usb-c wont replace everything.

2 Likes

The more I think about it, actually, it would make a lot of sense to use fiber beyond data centers and backbones. The only issue is that it’s so fragile.

1 Like

HP had one of those spring loaded ethernet connectors for some time. Been using it everyday for the past two years (due to the nature of my job) and it’s still standing.

My current and previous laptop have these springey ethernets. On the previous, the ethernet port (with the moving part) it outlived the wifi card.

@Isidoro_Cosentino That’s a good timing : Finally Revealing my BIG SECRET - Corning Optical Thunderbolt 3 - YouTube
Corning just made a thunderbolt 3 (40gbps) fiber optic cable (up to 50meters), after all usb-c could replace rj45. It’s the first one so it has limitation and cost a lot: it only works on thunderbolt 3 devices, but that’s very promising.
(making your own would be impossible though)

@brochard this is definitely a very cool development and something that I would love to see in the hands of everyday users hopefully costs can come down on that in the future. However, I don’t see this replacing Ethernet anytime soon, with its lack of easy termination and power delivery being two major reasons.

@Isidoro_Cosentino As much as I would love Ethernet, it cannot physically fit without jutting out.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Really the issue with a moving rj45 port is that it CAN break.

But on the framework, you just get a new expansion card and pop it in. Your ethernet capability can come roaring back.

1 Like

Why can’t framework just source the HP hinge Ethernet port and stick it in a card. Those laptops are the same thickness so it should work fine.

The big challenge for the Ethernet Expansion Card is actually the amount of circuitry required beyond the receptacle itself. A bridge IC, power regulators, and especially magnetics end up consuming the PCB area that can fit within the Expansion Card form factor.

3 Likes

This is what I use, GeMini by Juplink. Its pretty small and I don’t need wired ethernet often.
If I remove the modular connection and plug straight into the board it does not stick out too much. It would be great to get a card for it, but I get the technical restrictions.

There is always the Industrial Mini, Type 1 to RJ45, 8p8c cable.

Does anyone know how the expandable rj45 or 8p8c component can be bought? I’ve tried searching for spring loaded jack, expandable jack but without any success.