LTE Cat 4 Cell Modem Card

It will exceed the dimensions of the expansion bay, yes, but only by a couple centimeters at most. This is required due to the SMA connectors.

This is an early design, much can still change after reflection :slight_smile:

I won’t discuss this for now I’m afraid. However, once we begin selling, the design will be open-sourced.

2 Likes

I’m asking to know what bands it can support which is a perfectly reasonable question.

Apologies. In that case, we will have options which will support different regions. Since we are based in the UK, our first prototypes will support those European bands (which should mean it will work within the EU), with future versions supporting other economic areas too.

Regardless, if you are an American or from other continents, please still get in touch with us so we can gauge interest. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is it possible to add some B2B connectors (for example, HD-AFI) on Framework, so cards can use internal antennas, instead of having to add their own ones?

This also give users a chance to customize their antenna. You can, for example, develop a SDR card, or even build your own Wi-Fi module

I don’t believe this is possible I’m afraid, given the constraints we have as developers.

We have updates on the progression of our development of the LTE expansion card, which we are now calling the openCom LTE. You can find more information on our website.

7 Likes

SIAP: Per the above link - at least for the USD $ option

“Orders will open sometime in August.”

Awesome. This community draws engineering talent.

Best of luck with this JE & company!

A clarification, the first batch will be EU only, however we will likely bring sales to the USA within this year :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Jacob_Eva_LES Hi, i went to visit your website and the OpenCOM LTE is listed as coming soon, do you have a date or just an idea of when it will be ready for purchase? And what about an estimated price? I really love the project and would love to purchase the product as soon as it is ready

Hey buddy. We have a big announcement coming soon regarding this, so stay tuned :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks bud

cant wait! customer service on just a shirt so far has been amazing so ill for sure be buying one on release. since youve just released renders of the pcb so far, are we going to get photos or sizes for the card? id imagine itll be a larger card like frameworks ethernet so i cant wait!

1 Like

Likely larger with the antennas. This won’t be something you can leave plugged in.

Id expect as much, I can’t imagine there’s too much that can be done about idle drain on something like this

Yes :slight_smile:

The antennas are removable for this very reason, however I would not say it (the card) is something cumbersome to leave plugged in!

4 Likes

We are now selling our initial openCom LTE prototypes on our store, we will also be accepting pre-orders if these sell out for the first batch of production (which will be Europe for now, apologies).

5 Likes

Any estimate on when this will be available to order / pre-order in the North America region?
Also, the LTE card looks awesome.

We will open a form soon on our site to register interest for a USA variant.

1 Like

We are now accepting pre-orders for the USA!

8 Likes