LTE Cat 4 Cell Modem Card

Thanks bud

cant wait! customer service on just a shirt so far has been amazing so ill for sure be buying one on release. since youve just released renders of the pcb so far, are we going to get photos or sizes for the card? id imagine itll be a larger card like frameworks ethernet so i cant wait!

1 Like

Likely larger with the antennas. This won’t be something you can leave plugged in.

Id expect as much, I can’t imagine there’s too much that can be done about idle drain on something like this

Yes :slight_smile:

The antennas are removable for this very reason, however I would not say it (the card) is something cumbersome to leave plugged in!

4 Likes

We are now selling our initial openCom LTE prototypes on our store, we will also be accepting pre-orders if these sell out for the first batch of production (which will be Europe for now, apologies).

5 Likes

Any estimate on when this will be available to order / pre-order in the North America region?
Also, the LTE card looks awesome.

We will open a form soon on our site to register interest for a USA variant.

1 Like

We are now accepting pre-orders for the USA!

8 Likes

Does this card have the software support to send and receive SMS messages?

Yes. In Windows your carrier will likely have an app to interact with the card to do this, and in Linux it is possible with mmcli and likely other programs too.

2 Likes

All the prototypes have sold now, now we wait and see how the Europeans like them :wink:
Pre-orders are still available for both continents.

2 Likes

Are you making a 5g module also? Why was 4g priority?

Might have something to do with being easier, cheaper and more available.

3 Likes

5G modems are extremely expensive (£200+) and have heat dissipation issues also unfortunately.

3 Likes

Is there by chance anyone else producing these LTE expansion cards, who is not putting questionable symbols on the PCB and the shell? The snake of the Gadsden flag is something I really don’t want to be carrying with me all day. Thankfully LES has made the hardware open enough that modifying these aspects and custom building a version without those symbols shouldn’t be too much effort.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

The snake on the pcb you could get away with scraping off. It’s on the edge of a ground plane, even if you scrape hard enough to take off the copper in that spot, it should be fine.

If that would be ok to you, then you’d just need a replacement 3d printed shell.

Yea, along with questionable remarks in both the website and the trailer. also the product itself is not certified by any regulatory agency which would be something I’d like to see from a device both emitting and receiving RF signals and also illegal to sell in certain countries and could cause damage to the laptop/LTE card.

2 Likes

This is simply untrue. Our device bears the CE marking and also has the UKCA and CE marking affixed to the accompanying manual according to EU and British law. We are currently in the process of gaining certification for the USA markets, but we have not shipped any devices to that country yet.
We also have filed declaration of conformity documents, detailing which regulations the device is certified for in these markets.

Please do not make these claims without evidence. Our product is perfectly legal to sell in the markets we have chosen, we do understand the regulations within these markets.

Please do not insinuate that users may have their cards / laptops damaged through negligence on our part, this is simply untrue.

Humour is subjective :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome JC,

You could indeed print the bottom shell without our logo if you so wished, it’s as simple as commenting one line in the openSCAD file for that part :slight_smile:

We of course do not recommend this. If it’s of any consolation our silkscreen logo will be hidden most of the time unless you go out of your way to remove the board from the shell :wink:

1 Like