LTE Cat 4 Cell Modem Card

Battery life and latency.

1 Like

Itā€™s integrated, realistically thatā€™s about it.

Iā€™ve just received the quote back from Quectel, I will be able to sell these for 100USD with free postage, and if you had emailed or PMā€™ed me you should be receiving an email soon regarding your options for purchase.

If you wish to purchase one via Stripe you can do so directly through this link:
https://buy.stripe.com/bIY4hi8zg8xM6Y05kl
For people wishing to purchase via PayPal, send me an email or a PM with your PayPal address/username, postal address, phone number and email and Iā€™ll send you an invoice through.

9 Likes

This is really neat!

Wondering if itā€™s convenient if you would happen to have a specs summary along the lines of Tim Taylorā€™s OP in this thread? For instance to verify the degree of assembly thatā€™ll be required, that it takes a nano-SIM card, which bands itā€™ll support (we can look up which ones the wireless service providers support on our own I figure), what type of antennas we would need to get for it, and if it ought to work with common Linux distributions?

Apologies if this was posted already, itā€™s a long thread and you are a prolific poster, or if some of this should be implicitly obvious (Iā€™m not very well-versed in wireless tech at all) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no clue what module Tim Taylor used, but to answer the other questions, these will be fully assembled, takes a nano-sim, you can find information on the bands on the manufacturerā€™s website, The models being used are the EG-95AUX, EG95-NAX, EG-95EX (Model selected by which country the unit will be shipped to), Antennas will be internal and Iā€™m making it a similar size to the Ethernet Expansion card. Linux compatibility is guaranteed by the manufacturer

https://www.quectel.com/product/lte-eg95-series

7 Likes

Well, Iā€™m sold!

Any estimate on a shipping date for the first run?

I love the linux compatibility here

Modules have been ordered, prototype PCB will be ordered shortly, I should have a prototype within 2 weeks, so probably 3-4 weeks assuming the prototype works.

2 Likes

I might have to order one of these ā€¦

1 Like

Oh Iā€™m in. Ordered through this link. Let me know if you need any more info.

1 Like

Just letting everyone know that if you wish to be in the first batch you have till 11:59 pm (AEDT) on the 25th and anyone who has ordered one should receive an email confirming that you are indeed in batch 1. If there is still interest/orders after this date putting you into batch 2 which should ship approximately 2 weeks after batch 1 where I will move into having modules in stock and ready to ship.

2 Likes

Just over 12 hours till the cutoff.

1 Like

Could you send me a render of one of these modules? Im looking to get one of these along with my frameworks 16 order in may.

1 Like

No renders are available at the moment.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, when should we expect to receive emails?

1 Like

I have a couple questions,

1. does it use an esim?
  2. I assume it uses external antennae that we must source ourselves?
  3. is it just the antennae that sticks out unlike the ethernet module?
  4. 3d printed module casing?
1 Like

Some of these questions are answered in Joshā€™s previous comment: LTE Cat 4 Cell Modem Card - #186 by Josh_Cook

• takes a nano-sim,
  • Antennas will be internal and Iā€™m making it a similar size to the Ethernet Expansion card.

With internal antennas, weā€™re likely to see a compromise to connectivity performance. It would be cool if itā€™s possible to optionally use an external antenna.

2 Likes

Roughly 8 hours from now.

2 Likes