Mag-C Expansion Card

Hi,

Microsoft just released a new and very innovative Mag-C feature on top of the standard USB-C which adds MagSafe-like magnetic attaching. I think this would be really nice to implement as an expansion card.

I think we only need magnets around the standard USB-C port. The plug itself is non-standard: it has a gradually thickening shape, no retention latches and magnets. Luckily, we can simply buy Microsoft’s cable, so no problem here.

What do you think? Any help is welcome!:fire:

3 Likes

I had exactly the same idea when I saw Microsoft’s announcement, so I’m glad you started this thread!

Keeping a normal USB-C port and adding magnets around it in an Expansion Card, then using Microsoft’s cable, seems like a really promising direction to explore. Being able to use both the magnetic cable and regular USB-C cables would be a big plus.

I’d love to see this become a community project. You definitely have my support!

2 Likes

Here are internals of a USB-C expansion card, and it seems we should be able just place magnets to there directly :thinking:

For example these: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005010543508327.html

I think the best path would be to order Microsoft’s new power adapter which include the same Mag-C feature as the laptop side, take it apart and measure the exact dimensions+positioning of the magnets.

https://microsoft.com/en-us/d/surface-140w-usb-c-power-adapter/8wg5vqp0x4b5