A certain company just introduced magnetic USB-C charging port
It would be great if we could have an expansion card like that: support both magnetic cable and normal USB-C cable
A certain company just introduced magnetic USB-C charging port
It would be great if we could have an expansion card like that: support both magnetic cable and normal USB-C cable
I had the same thought when I saw Microsoft’s announcement! An Expansion Card that works with both the new magnetic cable and regular USB-C cables would be a great addition.
Keeping the USB-C port and exploring how to integrate magnets around it seems like a promising direction. I’d definitely support a community project to make this happen. There’s also a closely related discussion here: Mag-C Expansion Card
I think that the challenge will be to get port.. it has a different shape. without usb-c port in extension card it will be hard to do anything. Any idea where it can be bought?
What do you mean? The port is just the standard USB-C with two magnets, so it should be pretty straightforward to add Mag-C feature. What is non-standard and challenge to get is the new plug by Microsoft. Good news are that we can just buy the cable from them ![]()
Yeah I just saw this as well and I 100% agree! It should be quite easy to create a USB-C passthrough port module that just uses the currently dead space next to the port for magnets. That should be all that’s needed to get a magnetic charging port on any Framework Laptop. To imagine that Microsoft of all companies enables this…
It looks like connector is slightly thicker than a regular USB-C plug. which means that hole around socket probably is thicker too. but it is just a guess based on the photos.
I would say that you can connect standard usb-c cable to magnetic connect port, but probably you will not be able to connect magnetic connect plug into standard usb-c port.
I’m referring to this part but I might be wrong