Magnetic Expansion Cards

I have a office setup in my house and one day would love to purchase a desktop computer but my daily computer is the Framework laptop. So I tend to have to disconnect my mouse, HDMI, and ethernet cables anytime I want to bring my laptop anywhere. So I have imagined a concept design of expansion card having magnetic or pin connections that would enable the ease of portability of the laptop. Where I could place the laptop on my stand and automatically connect all my expansion card features listed earlier. I assume its possible but what is the difficulty? Does anyone know if others have tried it? What about products that are already enabling this possibility?

Welcome to the framework community!

Please use the search function:

https://community.frame.work/search?context=topic&context_id=26551&q=magnetic&skip_context=true

Welcome to forums!

With that many peripherals, you might want to look into buying a dock. Plug them all into the dock instead of the laptop, that way you only have one plug to connect/disconnect each time.

As for the magnetism, as Anachron was alluding to, someone’s already done it, see Full Power Magnetic Charging Card. You can plug a dock into this, maximum portability achieved.

1 Like