Matte screen protector

For anyone living in the EU, the German seller schutzfolien24 now also offers screen protectors including matte ones starting at 14,99€. - Sadly I couldn’t test them out yet, since my laptop is not here yet.

7 Likes

I mentioned this to ViaScreen’s support, their reply:

I’m not sure if that’s true @nrp? Fair enough if so, but it really doesn’t seem a great fit to me, though maybe the spec was fine and it’s just poorly cut (it isn’t even square after all, which I did also mention, no reply to that).

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I bought the 14,99 one, just applied it and its waaaay better now. Honestly i do not see any upsides of having a reflective display. Right now with the cheap matte protector the display looks as sharp as before, but without the incredibly annoying reflections.

The company is called “Brotect” btw, great name.

EDIT: For 14,99 you get two, not one protector

2 Likes

I got the photodon one sized for framework and I didn’t do mine on center. But it seems like if I center it there will still be some edges with glare (but less pronounced). I would love to have someone verify this before I think about returning my laptop again lol.

Update: it seems like the photodon sized one only covers the part of the screen that lights up, but there is probably a few mm of parts that are glossy but don’t light up that the photodon one doesn’t cover.

I’m getting a slightly bigger photodon one. I’m going to try 287x193 exact and get back to you on this.

I’m getting 2 in case the first installation fails.

The framework ones are a bit small. I don’t like the glare right at the edge of the bezel.

3 Likes

Okay, i ordered the Brotect Matte Protector. I made photos in the following order:
Off, lowest, 50%, 100% Brightness

The setting is a north side room with a very large window, on a day with very bright evening sun. The photos were made with an LG G6 in automatic mode.

Without protector:
The screen shows a clear, sharp reflection of the window at the presented angle.
With screen protector:
The screen shows a diffused, bright reflection without details.

Subjective interpretation:
Without the protector the reflection is so clear and detailed that i could skip the morning tour to the mirror. Working at lowest brightness wouldn’t be possible in the given light situation.
With the protector it’s way better. It’s not quite the most comfortable working at lowest settings, but it’s doable without beeing too distracted by the reflections. One step above is already very comfortable (and actually the setting at which i’m writing this). When i sit in front of the laptop there is no reflection at all, with the window to my side.

The foliage itself is cut to fit the framework display. There is a margin of ~2mm top/bottom combined, and ~1mm left/right combined. You can see it when the display is off, when the display is on it’s basically unnoticeable. Though i would recommend to make it flush at the top, and have more margin at the bottom, as in my subject experience it’s less distracting at the bottom.

They also offer a glas variant, I would be really interested in how that would look, if the finish is very different or not.

9 Likes

Depending on how annoying it is, you can also provide them with pictures. They are normally very flexible when it’s about margins etc. and may send you a slightly bigger one.

1 Like

I bought the “BROTECT Matte Screen Protector for Framework Laptop”. Tried to apply both. Failed miserably.

Then I bought the “BROTECT AirGlass Matte Glass Screen Protector for Framework Laptop”.

I turned on the shower for a moment, waited for some steam to take out all dust in the air. Made a little workspace for myself.

Then cleaned the screen, and used a credit card in a soft fabric as a squeegee to apply this screen protector.

And now I have a glorious matte screen, perfectly applied, no dust, no air bubbles, just like God intended. :wink:

9 Likes

p.s. I still hope that frame work will sell me a 1920x1280 matte screen in the future. Perhaps sending in the current one (Don’t even need a refund for it. You can use it for someone else!!)

1 Like

Have you had any chance to compare the “matte”-iness of the glas and the foliage variant? Really interested if there’s a qualitative difference.

1 Like

As far as I could see: none. Completely fine both of them. The glass does feel better though. Less fingerprints as well.

3 Likes

Can you please share some photos with us? I’m curious how it looks overall once applied.
thanks!

Here you go, first five

6 Likes

And the last four

9 Likes

And ofcourse… now I see the three dust spots. Believe me: They are just dust, there’s nothing underneath it.

1 Like

Thank you for the pictures! Looks great!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! :+1:

Just ordered, got redirected to french site protectionfilms24.fr, but goods come from Germany anyway.

I’ll post photos when put on laptop :computer:

3 Likes

Oh boy, applying these things is harder than I thought. Turned on shower, vacuumed before.
1st foil, I destroyed by scratching the air bubbles too hard with the soft plastic card, believing there was another protection foil to be pulled off. Alas, no, I was scratching the matte screen to death.

1. foil went on easier, but I still have around 10 dust specks and air bubbles underneath. Decided to leave it like that for now, but applying that foil, is a really stressful thing.
1 Like

I was successful wirh applying the brotect matte glass. It looks like I managed to :shower: away the dust, nothing squeezed in. The air bubbles dissipated after a day.

I’ve just apply the matte screen protector, was so focus on the vertical alignment that I made the mistake to be a little too close to the left edge of the screen. About 1 or 2 mm gap on the right edge.

I didn’t do the shower trick, just cleaned the screen with windows cleaning spray, dust-off with glasses wipe and applying it.

The result is great in the end! Hope it help make your mind if you consider buying one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes