MediaTek RZ616 AMSDU config & data corruption

I notice a couple weeks ago that large files would get corrupted when copying from my FW16 (AMD, running Windows) to my Synology NAS. By “large” I mean that I first noticed it with a 2gb Ubuntu ISO file. The VM service on the NAS didn’t recognize the ISO file, and investigation showed that the sha256 of the file was different on the laptop and on the NAS.

Corruption happened with command line tools (copy, xcopy, robocopy) and with drag-and-drop in File Explorer, so that didn’t narrow it down. (And none of them reported errors by the way.)

Corruption did not happen when I attached a USB ethernet adaptor and disabled wifi, so that narrowed it down to the wifi adapter.

Corruption did not happen when I used wifi with the AMSDU setting disabled, so that narrowed it down completely.

AMSDU is an optimization that should in theory allow higher bandwidth, but the MediaTek RZ616 implementation seems to be buggy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is it just me, or is this a problem for everyone with the RZ616, or just the RZ616 under Windows?

If it’s not just me, then I’d urge everyone to disable AMSDU before you corrupt data that you care about. You can get to this setting via Device Manager:

(Sorry about the “expansion-bay-shell” tag, but the editor wouldn’t let me post without it. Something is broken with the tag ontology/hierarchy.)

2 Likes