Mediatek RZ616 very slow

I just installed my Framework 13 with Windows, and as it’s a replacement for a Dell XPS 13 7390, I’m comparing the two as they sit next to each other.

I’m running speedtest.net and nperf.com from the same room, on the same access point (but not at the same time), on the same network.

The dell gets usually double the download speed.
I changed servers a bunch of times, but it’s always the same: it’s getting 125Mbps whereas the Killer AX1650w of the Dell is getting 275-300Mbps

Is this a known thing about this Mediatek network adapter being so slow?

Try turning off WiFi power saving, there is a similar bug on the Linux side that turning it off helps.

3 Likes

Thank you Mario, but I can’t find this, where is it?
My usual power panel is quite reduced

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/82794-change-power-saving-mode-wireless-adapters-windows-10-a.html shows where it should be. Try the command line stuff maybe?

Don’t even bother, it doesn’t help.

[edit:]

I updated my driver to this one (3.3.0.908): [DRIVERS] AMD|MediaTek WiFi/Bluetooth - Republic of Gamers Forum - 857576

My wifi speed instantly increased from 20 Mbps to 400 Mbps.

1 Like

Great! I think framework probably needs to update their windows driver bundle too then. @Matt_Hartley

1 Like

Let me get with the engineering team, see where we’re at there. Thanks as always, Mario. :slight_smile:

Just adding another data point from my Framework 13 with the RZ616 card. Running Windows 11, sitting in the same chair with my Pixel 6 Pro getting 100+Mbps. When I put the machine together and installed the framework driver package, my laptop was getting no more than half the download speed of my other devices. Installing the same 3.3.0.908 driver above Instantly bumped it from ~20Mbps down to ~95Mbps. Seems to be rock solid now!

Just did this update now for the wifi and wondering did you guys also do the bluetooth update from the same link?

The update I did from the link was 3.3.0.918

But the speed has not improved at all, if anything it is worse.

Is it that it is only that specific version of the driver that will work?

I cannot find the specific driver mentioned above, only a newer version but it did not help.

My download speeds are horrendous.

Can anyone direct me to a specific driver download or anything else they did to improve speeds?

Also, shouldn’t it be using 5 GHz rather than 2.4GHz

And it is using wifi 4

???

Hey,
My wifi speeds are ridiculously slow.

I have tried updating to a newer driver from here - [DRIVERS] AMD|MediaTek WiFi/Bluetooth - Republic of Gamers Forum - 857576

But no change.

Rolled back to original driver.

Anyone have any tips or links to specifoc drivers that have improved this?

Thanks in advance.

you can always find the driver for windows here
Microsoft Update Catalog

1 Like

Thank you for the link.

I updated to the latest driver on the list but no improvement.

I just found out it is an issue with the signal strength from my router.

I tested the speeds in my lounge room and then went to the room where the router is and ran the test right next to the router and the download speed went from 48Mbps in the lounge room to 842Mbps next to the router.

Thanks all for your help.

1 Like