Microsoft Windows Autopilot "ready"¿

Hi Framework Team & Community.

It is time getting my work-Laptop replaced and I asked for a framework 13.
IT mentioned the devices are not " Windows Autopilot" ready.
Dear Franework Team, are there plans getting your doors opened for this technology?

According to Microsoft’s partner listing, Framework does not participate (yet).

Thank you and best regards.

It seems like the hardware itself is supported, as the FL13 can run a supported version of windows. What isn’t supported is the main pitch of Autopilot, where the machine can be provisioned at the manufacturer and it will perform set up once shipped and delivered to you and you turn it on for the first time. I don’t think framework would ever support a provisioning process with Microsoft due to their values, but you could mention to your IT that they can take a more involved route and have the device shipped to IT, who manually install the Autopilot-enabled image that would be put on by the manufacturer.

3 Likes

to add to this, since Framework isn’t even set up for officially selling to businesses yet (your business would have to buy one through the same process as any other customer) it likely will not support something like this for a long time if at all.

4 Likes

Without knowing the scale of your business and support I don’t know how useful this will be for you, but EVERY windows 10-capable machine is Autopilot compatible.
Unless your IT dept has a 100% toughness autopilot deployment, it’s trivial to run a powershell script in the OOBE, gather the autopilot registration info then drop that into Intune.
Would it be easier if framework just supported Autopilot? Yup. Does the above solution scale to fort ion 500/100? Nope. But in smaller, nimble businesses or small businesses supported by a useful MSP, it’s a minor inconvenience.

1 Like

@Be_Far just an FYI Autopilot isn’t part of an image. It’s an MS-Hosted (azureAD) DB of uniquely identified hardware. You can pull that info from any PC with a powershell snippet and upload it to your MS Tenant.

Once it’s registered and policy is applied, any current windows 10/11 pro/ent install will drop into the Autopilot Setup during OOBE.

So even if the device is fully wiped and has 11 pro reinstall from a default iso, it will be enrolled in autopilot.

It’s pretty slick. And very similar to Apple’s process. Though Apple Business Manager enrollments are tied directly to the T2/Secure Enclave so quite a bit more immutable.

1 Like

Yep! I had a poor choice of words, I meant that IT for OP’s company could get the laptop shipped to them and then pull/provision with Autopilot at their office. Enterprise manufacturers will do that process at the factory and ship direct to employee, but I don’t think Framework would support that.

2 Likes

Update: I apparently don’t have the full picture, because Autopilot is planned as part of Framework’s enterprise solution. I’m curious what internal discussions went on around it.

1 Like

Anything running PowerShell pretty much is…

Instructions for manual add

Mostly boils down to a PowerShell command to generate a hardware ID then importing into your Intune portal - if your org accepts such things (or you have access to that portal and nobody’s stopping you…)

So for small numbers, that’s not much of a technical hurdle. It should make a hash. Key part here:

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12
New-Item -Type Directory -Path “C:\HWID”
Set-Location -Path “C:\HWID”
$env:Path += “;C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Scripts”
Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
Install-Script -Name Get-WindowsAutopilotInfo
Get-WindowsAutopilotInfo -OutputFile AutopilotHWID.csv

If you want to order hundreds or thousands, let them know over the business contact form. Your biggest concerns will probably be not IF, but WHEN, and warranty stuff etc.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your replies.
We are performing initial tests with Windows 11 and I am looking
towards getting Frame.Work accepted as “solution”.

Hi, I’m a consultant. Usually work on larger projects but have been helping a friend with a small business. They have a Microsoft M365 Tennant and brought some Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 5 7640U laptops.
We were able a export the AutopilotHWID easily and import via Intune. It then works as it would for a commercially distributed block of Autopilot laptops where the VAR or Manufacturer would upload the AutopilotHWID for you. Its a little more effort, but easy enough to do for any half competent IT Department. When Framework start providing this for business sellers, even better :-).
Whilst on this, I have to say, I am very impressed with the Framework 13 Laptops, as are the users. Good Battery life, fast, fingerprint reader works with Windows Hello, good screen, keyboard and track pad as well as light and portable.
I actually prefer the Framework 13 to my Surface Laptop, which costs a load more!
Also having the port flexibility for presentations or working in different locations is great.
Thunderbolt docks work no problem (even though its an AMD CPU).
We had a customer replace a load of Surface Laptops recently, because they did not have sufficient RAM. Obviously the storage and RAM upgradability in the Frameworks would have saved them a load of money.
Because of the reparability and upgradability, I believe that running a fleet of these laptops would be more cost effective than any other manufacturer over a 3 or 5 year period.
Only thing which would be a great addition, would be a Windows Hello compatible Web Cam upgrade.
So, great Laptops, work perfectly with Autopilot. The sooner Framework start selling to Business with autopilot onboarding the better.

2 Likes