My Kingdom for an Fn' Indicator

I think you may be right. Still if I have the spare capacity for some extra learning I now know where to go. Thanks.

Perhaps use one of the side LEDs or the power button? IE Power button breathing is fn’ locked and solid is non fn’ locked. Many colors to choose from on the side LEDs.

How many LEDs are there for the kb backlight? If it’s localized enough may be able to do an indicator on some part of the kb to indicate what state it’s in.
Could even have a fn’ press blink the kb light once for locked and twice for unlocked or something, if the individual LEDs aren’t addressable.

I think what we really need is a way to read the EC from the OS.
fn’ great OP BTW.

2 Likes

Couldn’t you just add a system tray icon with a small padlock? This has been driving me nuts the last few days.

The OS is not aware of the Fn lock state; one could indeed not “just” do that :frowning_face:

1 Like

If the OS can’t tell what keyboard buttons have been pressed, then what “system” registers button presses?

On the 13, the embeded controller handles converting Fn key presses. On the 16 it’s the QMK firmware in the keyboard. It’s the result, after applying Fn layer conversion, that’s passed to the OS.

2 Likes

Just had this happen again. Accidentally locked the function keys and took me some hours to figure out why F5 was registering as “G”… CRS syndrome. FML.

2 Likes