New FW16 trackpad zero signs of life

• Windows 11 - version 23H2, build 22631.2861)
  • Archcraft - version 2024.07.01

Device: Framework 16 Ryzen 7840HS, w/ GPU, 32GB DDR5
BIOS: 3.03 latest as of 5 July 2024
Drivers: Installed latest bundle as of 5 July 2024

Just got the framework today and immediately in, several issues are present (e.g., horrible spacer quality) but the trackpad is one I haven’t seen almost any existing support for.

No driver install, BIOS update, Windows / Archcraft settings, anything to any capacity has allowed the trackpad to work. The RGB keyboard and macropad work fine when the keyboard is inserted, but there are zero signs of live on the trackpad. No left click, right click, scroll, mouse moving, triple click, nothing…

I saw one post where the guy left the computer to die overnight and it somehow just, worked, but I want to actually diagnose this problem because it seems to not just be me.

I don’t know where to go for this or how to fix this, any help would be greatly appreciated…

Update, left it to die and cold boot twice and nothing. Adjusted every BOIS setting related to the keyboard and trackpad modules and again, nothing.

I think the trackpad came broken in the box…

Completely reinstalled Windows 11 and Archcraft, again, pointless… The trackpad is registered but on windows it shows a warning sign on “I2C HID DEVICE”. Enabling and disabling does nothing. No responses from support, community, so I’m in the dark now.

I would recommend reseating the midplate connector and cleaning the contacts on the touchpad and midplate pogo pins, as well as trying the touchpad in all 3 positions. Also verify that the flat flex cable (white with blue tape) on the bottom of the touchpad is properly inserted and not damaged

You could also try allowing the laptop to enable the keyboard without the touchpad installed in BIOS and see if the I2C HID device disappears on windows.

This may not fix it though. As far as I can tell the touchpad only gets connectivity over I2C and I’m unsure if the I2C adapter used actually verifies if the touchpad is present (communicating) before showing it in windows / as a device. This could mean a bad motherboard (if that’s where the adapter is), midplate, or touchpad.

The presence of an input module to enable/disable them is determined by a separate pin that gets shorted to ground when the module is inserted, whereas presence in the OS is determined by the device communicating. This is where the adapter could be obfuscating wether or not the touchpad is actually talking or not.

3 Likes

Hi Amar, good news but I am still very skeptical

I previously tried reseating the touchpad (before and after updating the BIOS module power settings), and that did not help.

The blue FPC cable appeared fine, but I took it out then put it back in carefully.

I cleaned the pogo pin pads on the touchpad lightly with my shirt, which I probably should have just used isopropyl alcohol with…

I adjusted the BIOS settings again to enable force power to try and test the touchpad without the keyboard.

When I booted the computer up, the touchpad began working again.

This was not a good scientific test on my end, I cannot rule out which change(s) made an impact. Looking back at the blue FPC cable though, it does appear to be a fairly tight fit. I am not sure if this was by design or variation, but it should really have at least 0.1-0.2mm of wiggle room in there to not be stretched!!

Thank you

2 Likes

Hello @EzraWolf,

Welcome to the community. Congratulations on your FW16 laptop. Glad to hear your touchpad started working again. Someone else a few months ago reported that their touchpad was having issues intermittently, they ended up taking it apart, cleaning, and carefully reconnecting everything similar to your case and their started working again too.

Ideally, it may have just been a poor connection with the little ribbon cable. It is easy to see as you have experienced, how just tight of a fit some of these small cables are.

If you have an issue again with it, defiantly report it to support so they have a history of what went on with your device.

Again, welcome to the community and enjoy your new Framework laptop. :partying_face:

Hello. My trackpad on FW16 also stopped working about 2 weeks ago. It was fine after I got it (about 10 weeks ago), but not anymore. Tried different solutions already that I read about here and at other places, no luck.
I run latest Ubuntu, FW firmware is up to date. Anything else that might help here?