New Laptop Won't Charge/Turn On

Ok theres probably an obvious reason for this question but as someone Diagnosed With Girl this question makes me :fearful: Please explain purpose and I’ll tell you lmao

I tried it and no luck :frowning:

1 Like

Sadly my laptop will charge but the screen does not turn on. I’ve had messages in to FW support but the responses have been a little underwhelming at best. I’ve decided to return my unit and maybe buy back if this ever turns into a thing. Wish them the best.

Since you mentioned that absolutely no LEDs flash or turn on (including the power button, and the tiny LED on the left side of the laptop near the audio input jack), this sounds like a serious enough problem that I think support will reach out to you very soon.

The only other thing I can think of is to double check the battery connector. I would at least visually inspect it and make sure it’s seated correctly. There’s a photo in Step 7 of the guide here: Mainboard Replacement Guide - Framework Guides or Step 6 here: Battery Replacement Guide - Framework Guides

1 Like

Yeah I messaged them 24 hours ago and no response, but again I imagine they are super duper busy

Ok SUPER cool thing I now know how to do. I feel powerful. Unfortunately it did not work. But now I know I can touch that bit :star_struck:

@Ramisdad I had a similar issue the first time I turned on my laptop - the power button lit up, the fan was spinning, but screen stayed blank. I removed one of the RAM modules and that seemed to work (mysterious - IDK why).

How long did you let it run? It’s noted someplace here that there is a long startup the first time; presumably halving the memory would cut that time in half. With 16MB mine was on the order of 5 minutes IIRC (it seemed long, but I was Batch 1 so I could be mis-remembering the time). But do give it a few minutes with both SODIMMs in place.

1 Like

I left it untouched for several hours then gave up. (My machine is also batch 1)

There is a issue with crucial having one dimm with 8 memory chips and one with 16 chips so maybe remove one module and try again.

So from the initial post, the computer should ship with some charge left in the battery, so the charger and the charging circuit should be irrelevant to the issue. The computer should theoretically turn on out of the box from the factory without ever having seen a charger.

When you press the power button, what happens? I assume there are no lights on anything, and no illumination around the power button itself?

I’d rather just wait for support and if I have to ship it back so be it

I’m just a girl I don’t want to get stalked it’s happened before off of very little information

It needs to be plugged in to work initially but yeah no illumination no nothing. Basically a brick. Is that what bricking is?

1 Like

Oof. My condolences for shitty people.

And yeah, that’s what a bricking is for electronics :frowning:
RandomUser revealed that apparently they ship with the bios option for battery disconnect active, which I wasn’t aware of. So maybe it is the charging IC, hard to tell with this info.

Stupid question for clarification, but when you plug in the charging cable is there any indicator light that the laptop is detecting the power? You should be able to see an indicator light turn on, letting you know that it’s accepting power, even if the power button isn’t pressed. If you see that light the problem might be in the connection between your keyboard cover and the laptop motherboard.

1 Like

You mean on the LED? Or on the power button? Because the answer is neither :frowning: I have seen no actual changes when I plug it in. The charger might as well be unplugged from the wall.

Dang. The laptop I’m using rn is rly on its last legs so I hope they message me back soon lmao. This thing could die at any moment. I’ll let you know what they end up doing.

1 Like

Do you have any monitors around or even a TV? That you could plug into the laptop to see if there is any display out?

It’s not on. No whirring no lights no nothing. I’m 100% sure it’s not on.

When you have taken it apart before can you make sure the connector with the little finger tab is properly connected because the keyboard may have become disconnected?
Input Cover Replacement Guide - Framework Guides Step 5

Yeah ive done that several times :frowning: first thing I learned how to do

If you press the button on the laptop while it is open (you can turn it on while open) and feel if any component is getting warm.

Did that too :frowning: no dice

Yeah pretty much. I liked the idea that I’d be able to replace parts if I need to in the future but I didn’t plan on putting it together.

1 Like

This is a long shot, but have you tried removing and reinstalling the ram modules, as well as plugging the charger into each of the four ports (via the usb-c passthrough)? Best of luck, sorry that you are having problems with the machine. Hopefully the support team is able to help you out if nothing works.