NVME Fitment

After reading about the height limitations on NVME drives for the Framework 16 I was a bit worried that I’d have to use a single-sided 2280 NVME to get two NVMEs in the Framework 16, however I ended up being able to get a WD Black 2TB SN770M along with a Corsair MP600 PRO XT 8TB (with heatsink removed obviously…) to fit without even trying.

The Corsair drive appears to be a standard Phison design/layout, appearing nearly identical to other Phison drives such as the Inland Performance Plus and Sabrent Rocket.

So, I’m not sure what drives Framework tested with to come up with their height limitation list, however I didn’t run into the issue, so I’m putting this here mainly as a datapoint.

3 Likes

Make sure to test for temperature though, it might get a little toasty like that if you stress both SSDs at the same time.

1 Like

I’m using the 2TB drive for virtual machine images; usually if I’m using a virtual machine I’m not really doing anything else, so it should be fine.

Hi @ryanpetris , I am also thinking of using a few vms and docker containers in secondry disk m. 2230. May I know your experience with sn770m 2tb.

I’m not sure I really have anything exciting to share other than “it works”. I haven’t benchmarked it or anything but haven’t had a reason to, it works just fine.

The primary reason why I keep VM images on a separate drive at all is because my primary is BTRFS and I don’t want to partition it nor do I want to make a folder “NOCOW”; I’d rather just have a separate thing formatted as XFS which is what I did here.

Thanks @ryanpetris ,
That sound good to me, I am worried it might get overheat only, But sound like you do not have encounter it, I saw in Tom hardware post that the sn770m 2tb might get hot even in idle mode. But I don’t trust that article because they are testing on desktop and steamdeck. I will just order it then because it is the only tlc 2tb I found in the market.

Yeah, I haven’t noticed any signs of it overheating but I’m also not hammering it.

Additionally, there is a thermal pad underneath the SSD to help transfer heat to the bottom of the case for the 2230 SSD; yeah it’s not on the same side as the chip but it does help.

1 Like

Thanks @ryanpetris ,
That’s good enough, I want to know the status of normal usage only.
There is no doubt every high speed pcie 4 RAM will run overheat if we did heavy file transfer.
I already bought 0.5 mm thermal pad and 0.01mm graphite +brass plate for heat transfer as the backup plan :smiley:

Just adding another datapoint: I am running an 8TB Corsair MP600 PRO NH (which looks very similar to the MP600 PRO XT 8TB, but has no heatsink) with a 2TB Western Digital SN740 (the model sold by Framework). Things fit effortlessly and I noticed no issues so far.

1 Like

Holy 10TB Batman!

1 Like

I was hoping for two 2280 slots for 16TB.

2 Likes

Eventually i think they will have 3x2280 and 1x2230 as an option but will be no GPU. So you could go crazy and have 3x8TB and 1x2TB so would be technically 26TB

1 Like