Odd behaviour when charging with expansion slot 1 (Windows 11)

Hello,

I’m posting here as I’ve noticed new behaviour regarding my Framework 16 laptop with Windows 11 installed. I have always charged it using expansion slot 1. Recently however, I have noticed that whenever I plug in the charging cable, it will display a notification complaining about USB Limited Device Functionality. I don’t believe it was doing this before. When I plug the cable into slot 4, it will not display the notification. It does appear to charge normally anyway, but I haven’t been able to confirm specifics yet. Recently I did buy more expansion slots to fill out all 6 slots, I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it? I cannot keep using slot 4 as that it where I usually have my display out for an extra monitor.

Looking around online, I find very little on this and it is usually with different operating systems (windows 10).

Hi and welcome to the forum

You will find many topics/posts about failure of one or more ports not working as usual. The resolution is often a reset.

Sometimes powering off removing all the ‘cards’ power on insert cards.

Search and ye shall find . . . .

Yes thanks for that. As I mentioned, I have searched the forums already. I was unaware of powering off, removing the cards, powering on and then inserting them again, however this hasn’t worked either. I still receive the prompt of it having limited functionality on slot 1. Swapping some of my usb-c cards around also doesn’t seem to have helped.

1 Like

This does seem to occur on the Framework 16. Initially when I transferred my SSD to my FW 16, I kept on getting these notifications that the port did not have sufficient power to charge the laptop well. These notifications can usually just be ignored.

They did stop recently, although I am unsure of the reason.

Did you do a clean install of Windows or transfer your old SSD to the FW 16? Also try running the latest driver install package and BIOS updates.

I did a completely clean install. I’ll try running the driver install package and BIOS again. Regarding those, they should update through windows updates correct? At least that’s what I’ve gathered through some searching, could that have been the catalyst for this sudden change?

It does seem like the charging isn’t any slower on this port, so I think if the above doesn’t work, I’ll just cross my fingers for it suddenly stop like in your case. Thank you for the input!

Unfortunately, Framework does not provide it’s updates through WIndows Update, so you will have to update all the driver and BIOS bundles manually.