FW 16 AMD Not Charging On Slot 4

I have a USB C expansion in slot 1 and slot 4.

When using the official framework charger it is only charging the laptop through slot 1. In both instances the orange light is coming on solid.

To quickly test it when plugged into slot 1 and I run acpi I get:

➜  ~ acpi         
Battery 0: Charging, 11%, 00:56:21 until charged

and on slot 4:

➜  ~ acpi
Battery 0: Discharging, 12%, 00:48:28 remaining

I have tried swapping around the expansion cards so it appears to be the slot. I’m getting the slot numbers from Expansion Card Slot functionality on Framework Laptop 16 so I think that’s correct and should allow me to charge from it.

Does anyone have any idea what could be broken here or any suggestions for things to try before I do a support query?

I use top left and top right, 1 and 4, to charge mine, so definitely the right ports.

Sounds faulty to me though.

Do 2 and 5 work?

Yeah 5 and 2 both work.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I only have the 13" and in such a case a main board reset usually or often is the solution.

Is there such an option for the 16"?

2 Likes

Hi @Kevin_Coyle,

I would definitely contact support about the charging issue. Those two ports are the ones they primarily suggest connecting charging up to. Each side has its own controller, the controller on that side of the machine may either be corrupt or something has failed and is causing it to not accept the charge. Support will have the best course of action to take and likely wants to know more information so they will have an idea of what to go off of should the issue come up again for other FW16 owners.

Thank you for reporting it and let us know how it turns out.

2 Likes