Okay to put Framework in a briefcase while sleeping/hiberating?

I saw this today and wondered if Framework should also be shutdown entirely before being put in a bag/sleeve or briefcase.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28639952

If you’re paranoid of this occurring (it’s quite possible with Modern Standby) then I would recommend enabling hibernate and using that instead of standby when you are going to be packing your laptop up.

3 Likes

Definitely avoid putting the Framework in a bag on standby.

I just did this today and at some point the CPU was under high load (and obviously could not be cooled down while the fan was blocked). When I tried to take it out, laptop was hot enough that I couldn’t touch it and backpack smelled like hot plastic :confused:

Haven’t investigated this further. Is there a way to avoid Modern Standby, whatever that is?

1 Like

I believe it’s s2idle, which was made so that your computer could wake quicker from sleep. But it solves less problem that it creates. S3 deep sleep is usually what you want it to be to avoid the problems.

The Framework laptop does not support S2 or S3 as support for it is missing in the firmware. (and I suspect the Tigerlake platform lacks support for it in general, IE: not the fault of Framework.)

S0 is getting fined tuned as we speak, but as of right now is not entirely trustworthy.

To be fair I have several laptops that use S3, and while generally it is safe, I’ve been burned before by thinking sleep was activated, but something prevented that and I stuck it in a bag.

SO my advice is the following:
Under Windows enable hibernation and use it. With sub 8 second boot times it is really the safest way to preserve your session and converse battery and heat. While hibernating your computer is off, just as if you shut it down.

Under Linux I am not sure standby (deep sleep) is truly working. I don’t know if I would trust it. I believe it is using s2, and as I said, is not directly supported. This mean that to be sure hibernation is the preferred method as well.

Under Windows or Linux, if I know i’ll be using the laptop in an hour or two, I use standard standby, and have varying results. But for everything else, I just hibernate.

If S0 worked how it is supposed to (taking 10+ hours to use 5% battery before hibernating) I would prefer using it instead of directly hibernating. But in the meantime hibernation works incredibly well under both Windows and Linux.

1 Like

Realistically you can never fully trust that a laptop is asleep before putting it away - you should use hibernate for that purpose. There are a million things that can stop it going to sleep or accidentally wake it from sleep that are often not noticeable.

That’s one of the reasons why computers I support always have no action assigned to lid close, and the people I support are always taught to actively turn the machine off somehow instead.

Let me add another vote for hibernate. I’ve used it under Linux Mint for a couple months without trouble

1 Like