Phoronix: Windows 11 20% slower than Ubuntu 24.04 on FW16 7840HS

thought might be interesting.

1 Like

Great article. I do wonder if there is bias in the testing that favors Linux based workloads though?

I would be MORE interested in which OS is more stable across normal workloads and environments. Which one handles additional hardware best? And MOST important to me, but which one handles power the best, and primarily during suspend?

Linux is great, don’t get me wrong. At the end of the day though my computer is a tool, and I just need it to work.

Interestingly enough, WSL runs Linux more efficiently than running Linux natively. Interesting right? This is just my own observations, and something I don’t really have the time to test.

Windows can hw decode video for non non ridiculous amounts of power so win some loose some I suppose.

I did estimate this because Windows became pretty blown up with background tasks.

I’m pretty sure it would be able to free even more system resources when using a distribution that comes with another window manager or less service tasks in the background.

In theory the fastest system possible could be archived with gentoo linux (or one of its forks) with maximum hardware optimisation on compiler level.
That way you could throw away everything that is not needed. For example a standard debian/ubuntu linux kernel contains code for AMD and Intel hardware, eventhough you don’t need intel support on an AMD system.

Linux newbies, be carefull! This not easy to manage. Someone will have to learn a lot about how linux works “under the hood” in detail.
I went this way and did learn a lot about linux. It was a journey, that took serval years to master. I did brick my operating system serval times and had to learn how to repair it the hard way.
But the increase in performance was worth it, back when i was a scholar in computer science and could not afford new hardware.

Now i use NixOS, which is not optimised that much, but still highly configurable and will probably be a more performant than ubuntu because it only runs the background tasks i want it to.
But this distribution is not officially supported by framework, so for the average user Ubuntu would be a good distribution.

With 3rd party tools you could increase the performance of Windows, too. There are lots of tasks in background that not everybody needs and could be deactivated.
But i don’t use Windows 11 and can’t suggest any tools to do so.

I am using Linux 24/7 here. No Windows on my FW24, and I use Linux (old 22.04 / KDE Neon) and it is rock stable. Only the boot while connected to Dock seems to have an issue with the Display. Have to disconnect and reconnect to make it work (Prolly a usb-c negotiation thing).

Michael uses his benchmark tools on Windows and Linux, and tries to make these as non synthetic as possible. Some synthetic tests are there, but he mentions it during the test.
You can go to https://openbenchmarking.org/result/2404186-NE-FRAMEWORK98&sgm=1&sor&swl#results to check the details of all results, and compare to other hardware/systems etc. if you want.

2 Likes

Are you using Windows’ “suspend”?

I have used both, which is to say Fedora / Ubuntu and Windows 10/11 suspend.

I love Linux, and in particular Ubuntu. The ethos behind the LTS just speaks to my mindset on how software should be stable instead of the flashiest and newest.

However, I always run into issues after a time that just really annoy me. Settings erode or an update messes them up. Little glitches here and there and in particular with wireless radios like wifi and bluetooth. All things I can fix and get working again, it is just that I have to fix them.

When I can lock down Windows and gain all the stability of that platform (I know people will say it isn’t stable but I have had a total of 4 blue screens of death in the nearly 30 years I’ve been using Windows, so I politely disagree) plus hardware compatibility, and graphical power of the GPU market, this is already a huge draw. But when you add the fact that you can run Linux via WSL and it is a first class citizen, then it really just removes my need to run Linux natively.

But I do look forward to the day when my opinion on this changes. I’m sure MS is going to do something that makes it impossible to thwart their privacy invasive tactics, and when they do I’ll be back to running Linux natively.

1 Like

I can pretty much guarantee linux wins on all of those. The only thing Windows handles better is hardware acceleration for graphics and that is starting to evaporate as well, as it is more of a driver issue versus and operating system issue. Suspend and hibernate are constant moving targets, they don’t really work right on either OS 100% of the time. As to battery life well I am getting 11hrs on a 12th gen Intel i7-1260p, a far cry form the 4.5-5.5 hours I see most windows users complaining about.

This is entirely your perception, not reality.

If your comfort zone is WIndows stick to it, but if you want a stable operating system windows is not it.

2 Likes

Meh, might be. I develop for Windows among other things.

I have worked with Linux for about 12 years now. I ran it as a daily for 6 years. I am doing development work for Linux as well. The only thing that has the kind of stability you are referencing is something like RHEL, which precludes having modern hardware.

Windows aint perfect, that is for sure, and with MS eroding privacy there it isn’t getting any better. However, as I mentioned, I’m not constantly having to fix functionality on Windows. I had to do this about every 2 weeks on Ubuntu. Maybe it is my workload and what I am doing, but I’m doing the same thing on Windows.

I’m not trying to get into an argument either. Linux is great.

3 Likes

Nope I run Fedora on most of my machines, Centos Stream or RHEL on the rest, and at work RHEL 9 servers and clients. RHEL 9 runs fine on this years hardware, so yeah disagree on the modern hardware comment.

That was the problem right there. Ubuntu is, and has been for a while, a pile of hot garbage. Never had a good experience with any Ubuntu based distro, and in place upgrades just abominable. Fedora is so stable I have my mother on it…no more surprise 8 hour drives to play family IT.

Not taking it as an argument, just noting misconceptions. If your doing development work Fedora SIlverblue is truly sweet. It only took me a week to get used to a containerized workflow, with flatpaks for apps, and now I won’t go back. WIth a read only OS, and btrfs snapshots on my home directory, it is damn near unbreakable compared to a regular distro.

2 Likes

My workload is pretty NVIDIA centric and I have traditionally a lot of graphic related issues. Things are getting better for sure. I love proton, for example, but I really just don’t want to wonder if the hardware I’m using or adding later is going to work. I just need it to work.

I know NVIDIA isn’t Linux’ fault, but at the end of the day I need something that works.

On the topic of immutable OSes, I am right there with you. I think Bluefin, which is another Fedora immutable spin is something that is really compelling as well.

Windows is very stable for me, but it might be, because I just know how to use it real well. I might be glossing over issues that other would have but I don’t.

Anyway, I’ll just say this, I focus more on using the best tool for the job that I can. Sometimes that is Linux and sometimes it is Windows.

Anyways, I apolgize for sidelining this thread’s topic.

1 Like

Yeah NVIDIA is a mess…less messy than even last year, but something you have to plan around. I give it another two years before the troubles start to fade.

Bluefin is good, I just don’t like some of their customizations and would rather layer the few rpm’s i need to. However I am experimenting with building out a complete localized build environment to do what they do on github. Almost there…unfortunately the documentation for all of this is poor, old, or in flux so, harder than it needs to be.

Same here. If I need a Windows tool I generally have a VM laying around for that.

I do as well.

1 Like