Please leave your ego at the door

I have noticed that there were a few threads in the past days where things became rather unpleasant. It is important to state that disagreement, even strong in nature, is not what concerns me here, but the fact that some of it got personal.

From my POV, the cause was quite similar in every instance: Someone mistook a reply as a personal attack or as some kind of schooling they felt they didn’t need and reacted in a way that then spurned a heated exchange.

Even though stuff like that is probably unavoidable on a forum of a certain size and the incidents were handled well by the moderators, I urge everyone here to leave their ego at the door and to reply to the nicest interpretation of what was said before you, misunderstandings happen. You might not need the lesson conveyed in the reply, but someone else might. Let’s keep this community as pleasant and welcoming as it is!

50 Likes

I should have been more clear, I meant the defensive part of ego, the “I can’t be wrong, I’ve been doing XY for 30 years, kiddo”. If you want to flex with your Framework setup, I have zero problems with that unless it’s some unironically arrogant flexing.

8 Likes

I think that some users here just have a more direct way of communicating, which may not jive with some. I tend to take things a lot less personally the older I get. Just my two nickles worth, since we no longer have cents in Canada.

9 Likes

I personally don’t mind direct speech, I consider myself a direct person in speech and it would be hypocritical to take offense for that. That is not what is occurring, there have unfortunately been insults and personal attacks.

2 Likes

As you say, please leave your ego at the door.

Everyone is allowed to have a differing opinion about something of course, and everyone is allowed to have a negative opinion about the Framework laptop or about anything else.

But the ultimate rule that the moderators will be enforcing is treat others with respect. If we find that someone is clearly breaching this…this is where we get the moderator tools out. We’ll try the lightest moderation first like editing posts but we will escalate if the behaviour continues, locking threads, temporarily suspending users and ultimately banning users.

You are absolutely allowed to disagree with someone but keep your ego at the door and counter with facts and evidence. As you so nicely put it:

Exactly.

5 Likes

I posted this in a different thread, it was relevant then, its relevant now

6 Likes

I read almost anything here, with various degrees of depth, and sometiems I also participate to the discussion if I feel that my contribution is relevant (whether it is really relevant it’s another thing). Exactly like I’m doing now.
There have been a few threads that upset me a lot, some of them have been moderated to the point that they vanished from the forum; but, even if I felt personally disturbed while reading, I’ve applied the general rule that I apply in real life: ignore the arrogants, have a laugh at it and stay away from futile discussions.

I’ll try to translate a very old Italian adage:

Washing a Donkey’s head is only a waste of water, soap and time.

I hope this may be useful to everybody.

6 Likes

It may also be a helpful reminder to everyone that English isn’t everyone’s first language on a forum such as this, and as such may encounter one or two instances where the post may appear rude or short due to the person’s language barrier. English can be a tricky beast where lots of implied meaning can be inferred by the reader that was never intended by the person who wrote it. As was mentioned previously by others, assume the writer did not mean to sound like an ass. English is a horrid language that is very difficult to learn for those not born into it.

9 Likes

It barely qualifies as a language, it is a mongrel mishmash of various other languages lol

Sincerely,
An illiterate American in any other language but English

3 Likes

That’s what makes it so easy to learn and quite a bit harder to master imho.

Sincerely,
a German that has been learning English for over a decade, benefits greatly from the germanic part of that mishmash, but recently learned that ‘voucher’ is not pronounced in a french way.

6 Likes

I love that. From now on, this old American will pronounce it “voo-shay”. Thanks for making me smile.

5 Likes

Only the very fanciest among us can use this. Exclusive club. :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

As will this not-so-old American :wink:

Interestingly, the etymology of “voucher” comes from “vouch+er”, and “vouch” did come from (or rather, is related to) Old French “vochier/voucher/vocher/etc”. So one could say that we’re technically pronouncing it properly and everyone else is wrong :wink:

At least that’s what I’ll say when someone says “What the hell does voo-shay mean?!?!?!” :smiley:

2 Likes

It is pronounced “voo-shay” in german-speaking countries and “coupon” is pronounced in a french way in English as well (aside from the ending maybe), hence my utter disbelief when my friend from the US broke out in laughter when I gifted her a voo-shay for her birthday. I still insist my pronunciation is right, thanks for backing me up on that :joy:

1 Like

Don’t worry, pronunciation still causes contention among native speakers

1 Like

they’re obviously both wrong, if it’s vautsher it has to be kaupon

2 Likes

I cringe when I hear “coupon” pronounced as “Q-pon”.

Hey man, both of them are Canadian, it’s your people lol

I jest of course, personally idc, I just think the whole exchange is hilarious

1 Like

LTT pronounces it “Q-pon”, we Canadians are a different people. LOL

1 Like