[Poll] CPU and GPU combinations

Linus Torvalds told me to vote against nvidea, and he seems credible

15 Likes

Wow, is Linus Torvalds interested in owning Framework Laptop 16?

1 Like

For CPU, as far as I can tell, amd is still the leader for power efficiency and igpu, so it’d make it a better laptop when you need longer battery life or when you’ve got the dgpu detached. And the price to performance, barring ray tracing, is undeniably better from amd than Nvidia. So an amd-amd laptop would make the most sense from a versatility standpoint for swapping between gaming and say, going and writing in a coffee shop.

1 Like

I mainly chose the amd-amd option for the fact that having it all on one platform generally makes them play more nicely with one another.
(And also the fact that I really like how powerful the igpu should be, since it would be more powerful then my current dgpu)

I voted for AMD+AMD, but really all I care is that the GPU is not NVIDIA for Linux compatibility reasons.
I don’t have strong feelings about the CPU either way, both options should to have good enough performance and Linux driver support.

10 Likes

What sort of Chaotic Neutral individual wants an AMD CPU and an Intel GPU?

12 Likes

People who want AMD + Intel are people who root for the underdogs.

6 Likes

My thoughts exactly. As a Linux user, Intel graphics has proven to be more reliable than AMD and I want to give them a shot. At the same time, AMD CPUs have proven more reliable than Intel, so AMD+Intel would be interesting.

1 Like

So long as the initial GPU module works flawlessly, I’ll buy it. But if it’s AMD^2, I’ll buy it harder.

I’ve tracked this poll from 50 people and what I suspect is that the first people were located in EU and the current wave at up to 320 people are located in US or the like.

And the split between AMD+AMD vs AMD+NVIDIA in both cases (up until this moment) was 2:1.

Imagine being a company that sells chips (a lot of chips) and acting in a way that the sentiment is consistent among continents… wow…

I just want all AMD as they have a good track record with linux

2 Likes

Most importantly, non-Nvidia, please.

Here is a well thought-out explanation why:

7 Likes

Ah okay. Now I understood the meaning of that @danso said “Linus Torvalds told me to vote against nvidea”. Linus just told that in the context that is not related to the Framework Laptop.

2 Likes

That one is age-resticted. Doesn’t play as embedded for me.

I honestly don’t know if they have changed their ways since but I won’t easily forget “Nvidia has been the single worst company we’ve ever dealt with”

4 Likes

I’d also like to see AMD APU + battery as vote optio

3 Likes

BFG as well. nvidia had an uncompetitive/bad period some years back (around the gtx 200 period). Their two main gaming manufacturers (XFX and BFG) were struggling and wanted to also produce ATi/AMD cards to shore up their own businesses. Nvidia threatened them that if they did that they’d be cut off. XFX took the risk and got cut off by nvidia, BFG did not, and folded. XFX is still around selling radeons.

also shit linux drivers, overhyped raytracing and price fixing.

2 Likes

Going for the Nvidia GPU. Not for gaming but for CUDA workloads. CUDA is important for my work and is the de facto standard SDK for GPU compute, but only supports Nvidia GPUs. It kind of sucks but AMD is a non-player there.

7 Likes

Yeah it’s kinda unfortunate nvidia got pepole hooked on cuda, at least for small scale stuff. Though for compute there is much less penalty when using a thunderbolt egpu.

They most definitely are a player, most already support HIP or through SYCL/DPC and of course OpenCL. 5 years ago CUDA was the only (real) game in town, but not anymore. So unless you are on a legacy app, CUDA isn’t the only option anymore

2 Likes

AMD CPU for battery life, AMD GPU for great Linux compatibility. Would gladly use Intel or NVIDIA if they supported Linux as well.

4 Likes