Poll: English or your living country's official language or other languages, which language are you more comfortable to read on the Framework website?

As you may know by recent change, if you change your website’s locale setting to your country on the the page: https://frame.work/locale/edit, the website is translated to your country’s public (official) language in case of France and Germany or redirected to some country’s language in case of some other countries.

This pull is to check the reality about how much English is useful for each country’s Framework website. If you can share which country you live, you can let me know on the comment area below.

• People in living US, UK, Australia and New Zealand whose country’s public (official) language is only one and only English: sorry please don’t vote for this poll! It’s to prevent the bias of data.
  • People in living in Malta and Kenya and etc whose country’s public (official) languages are more than 2 and English is one of them: You can vote! If you are more comfortable for English than other public (official) languages, please vote for English.

For someone who is interested in what are the countries where English is a official public language or one of the official public languages: here is the wikipedia page: List of countries and territories where English is an official language - Wikipedia .

Caution: If you are a native English speaker in an English speaking country (US, UK, Australia or New Zealand), please don’t poll to prevent a bias.

Poll: English or your living country’s official language or other languages, which language are you more comfortable to read on the Framework website? (maximum 2 choices)
  • 1: English.
  • 2: My living country’s main official language and not English.
  • 3: Other language (not English) that is not a main official language in my living country.
  • 4: I am comfortable equally for both English and my living country’s main official language.
  • 5: I am not sure.

0 voters

And one more question related to this topic.

Caution: If you are a native English speaker in an English speaking country (US, UK, Australia or New Zealand), please don’t poll to prevent a bias.

Are you a foreigner (people who don’t have the permanent residence permit) in your living country?
  • 1: Yes, I am a foreigner in my living country.
  • 2: No, I am not a foreigner in my living country.
  • 3: I am not sure.

0 voters

I assume this poll’s result can be biased to promote English. Because people who are not good at reading English are hard to stay on this forum. But I am just curious for this poll.

1 Like

Hi, I’m from Lithuania and by default frame.work opens in German language. I don’t understand a word in German. If I try to change my language but the form is also in German. And for some reason locale change does not work and always fallback to German. So the site is useless for me.

I suggest that if you do not have a proper translation in my locale fallback to English by default. It’s easier to change locale to other preferred from English than from other unknown language.

1 Like

Hi, I’m italian but I’ve been living (and working) in the UK since 2018; after the Brexit I’ve been granted the pre-Settled status, which will be converted into Settled in 2023; I’m not sure about the second question but I certainly don’t feel a foreigner here (despite the Brexit!). As per the first one, though, I think that if the website has to be localised in the various market’s native languages (let’s say Italian in Italy and Switzerland), I suggest to be extra-careful and avoid machine-translated content (or, at least, review it very thoroughly). As per the Blog, though, I would recommend to leave it in English.

@Tomas_S @Roberto_Vernina the issue was reported at Now Available for Pre-order in UK, Germany, and France - #3 by junaruga . I believe Framework recognizes this issue as a high priority, but they just take more time to fix.

Pro tip, give people who didn’t read the wall of text an option in the poll like “Native English speaker in an English speaking country” otherwise they’ll just pick option-1 anyway…

Good idea! I want to add the item to the 1st poll on my 1st comment. But right now interestingly I can not edit my first comment by myself, even when I am the owner of this thread. Maybe due to recent category change by a script? Not sure. This issue is same with [TRACKING] Debian testing on the Framework Laptop - #5 by junaruga .

Moderators or people at Framework, could you do something for me to edit this thread’s first comment?

1 Like

I see the thread was changed as wiki by a moderator, thanks for that!

When I tried to add one more item, I saw the following message, You cannot change a poll after the first 5 minutes.". So, I added a caution text above the 2 poll area. It’s better than before. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now the thread was reverted to the non-wiki by a moderator. I was told in the current setting of the Discourse (this forum system), after a certain period of the time, even the owner of the thread can not edit. I am not sure why this setting is enabled.