Power Drain when Fully Shutdown

Howdy all. I’ve reached out directly to support, but I would appreciate input via this front.

Problem/Issue:

• When the laptop is fully shutdown, it slowly drains the battery until it is dead.
  • I’ve ensured that I am actually selecting shutdown from within Windows and that I’ve waited until the power LED surrounding the power button has turned off, hoping that it indicates the laptop has actually shutdown.
  • The problem has been happening ever since I received the laptop last fall. I was not able to address this issue until recently due to circumstances beyond my control.

General Specs:

• Model: DIY AMD Laptop Ryzen 7640u
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x32GB F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS
  • SSD: SK Hynix Platinum P41 1TB ‎SHPP41-1000GM-2
  • Framework Expansion Cards: 4 x USB-C
  • OS: Windows 11 with all known officially released updates discovered by “Check for updates” section within Windows settings. No preview release updates installed.
  • Driver Bundle: Downloaded and installed the latest driver bundle available from Framework
  • Firmware/BIOS: JFP30.03.05 (3.05)

First Configuration:

• No peripherals plugged into the laptop (no dongles, no monitors, no power adapter, etc)
  • 4 x USB-C Framework expansion modules occupying all of the expansion slots
  • Result: Noticeable power drain

Second Configuration:

• No peripherals plugged into the laptop
  • All Framework expansion modules removed
  • Firmware defaults loaded
  • Mainboard reset procedure
  • Result: Noticeable power drain

Third Configuration (current):

• No peripherals plugged into the laptop
  • All Framework expansion modules removed
  • RAM modules and SSD removed
  • Will wait for at least two full days to pass then plug the RAM modules and SSD back in, boot into Windows, check reported battery level.

I would greatly appreciate any insight on what might be causing this. Thanks in advance.

When measuring power drain, how long do you wait after power off? The ec stays on for a bit after power off, so you need to wait a bit before it turns off entirely.

The timeframe varies. Sometimes a full day has gone by, other times it’s been several weeks up to a month since it was last powered on. In the most recent testing performed I’ve been powering it down, left the clamshell open (i.e. the screen was not closed up against the keyboard), and then came back after two full days had passed to power it on and to check power levels. I don’t have detailed info to provide yet on the percentage of power loss (or if that amount varies), but anecdotally speaking if I were to leave it off for a week, I could easily see 30% of the charge depleted.