PSA: Kernel 6.11.3 display updates

This is to serve as a PSA for those running a rolling release distro: From Kernel 6.11.3 on, DisplayPort Panel Replay leads to missing display refreshes on the internal display. For me this manifested itself as only updating the screen randomly or while moving the mouse - unless I used a compositor like picom.

There is an open issue in the Freedesktop Gitlab to follow: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3682

3 Likes

I’m on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with XFCE4, and it looks like I’m affected by this error.
As long as the screen is active, the seconds in the clock in xfce4-panel are ticking up nicely. But as soon as the screensaver kicks in, the laptop display goes blank (dark, but backlight on) and the animation doesn’t start. It runs okay on the external monitors connected to the WD19TB docking station, though. I can reproduce it without waiting for the timeout by starting the screen saver preview from the settings panel. As soon as I move the mouse pointer on the internal display, the animation starts. As soon as I either stop moving the mouse or put the mouse pointer on one of the external displays, the animation freezes.

System: FW16 without dGPU.
6.11.3-1-default
XScreenSaver module: Atlantis (but other modules behave the same)

I’ve just added the “opensuse” tag to the topic.

I’m on Fedora 40 KDE Wayland with 6.11.3 and I have no such problems it seems.

Do you have variable refresh rate enabled?

On the external screens. I’ve never seen an option to do so on the internal one.

Interesting. I have it enabled from what I can tell (and the display certainly supports it, it’s freesync certified)

But where did you enable it from?

Added amdgpu.freesync_video=1 to my kernel commandline.