Random hard freezes fw13 amd7840u win11

Just to report back that this issue is totally solved for me. And no trackpad jumping either.

Just to add my experiences.

Since I bought the laptop in December 2023, Iā€™ve had a laggy cursor. It lags when using the trackpad and when using a mouse. By lag I mean it takes a little while to get moving, then it ā€˜jumpsā€™ to where it ought to be and is then fine, until I stop moving it. Then that pattern repeats. Itā€™s very frustrating and makes precise cursor usage almost impossible.

On BIOS 3.03 I got all the same random freezes that are reported on here. Usually the system would lock up, but I could still move the cursor, then eventually the cursor would freeze and Iā€™d either get a BSOD or Iā€™d have to hard reset the laptop. I could get as many as ten freezes in a day, but sometimes none for a week or so. It didnā€™t matter if the laptop was running on AC power or battery, or what I was doing on the laptop.

I updated to BIOS 3.03b and that seemed to cure the freezes, but not the lag. Until earlier this week when, despite running the latest driver package, I had three freezes within about 30 minutes. Iā€™ve now updated to 3.05 and Iā€™m waiting to see whether it freezes again.

Support have had me run all sorts of memory diagnostics (all clear) and reset the mainboard. I just want a laptop that I can rely on not to freeze and where I can use the cursor. Iā€™m beginning to doubt that Framework can supply me with that.

2 Likes

I think you should be polite yet assertive with the support and just demand a new motherboard to replace your existing one. Not to say that if youā€™ve been reporting issues since December 2023, in some countries, a warranty claim needs to be resolved within 30 days.

1 Like

I had the same problem after some time the full bios got corrupted the laptop would not boot anymore and I got a new motherboard

Is there any reason my laptop would do this on the battery? Iā€™m still on 3.03b, the screen was off, the lid was closed and I wouldā€™ve expected the laptop to be asleep so I donā€™t expect it to discharge to 0% in the space of about 10 hours.

Past 7-day usage, it was pretty much only on the morning for a couple of minutes at most today.

Power options settings, closing the lid should put the laptop to sleep so I shouldnā€™t see the battery drain like that.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦ I installed OpenSuSE Leap 15.5 on a DIY FW13 (Intel Core i5 processor, single-boot O/S) and the system performs very well but for the same intermittent problem: it appears to completely freeze and has to be restarted by leaning on the ā€˜startā€™ button to power down.

1. Iā€™ll begin keeping a log of such events, but it occurred last night (my user account, battery powered) and again this morning (my partnerā€™s account, AC powered). Failures are usually less frequent though.

2. At this point, I strongly suspect lockups occur when the wired mouse is actively in use. (When configuring the system I expected to be using it with an external keyboard, mouse, & HP monitor, but Iā€™m not sure I donā€™t just prefer the laptop & a proper mouse.)

3. Lockups are definitely not associated with heavy CPU activity. The initial O/S installation from a USB memory stick followed by a huge backlog of online updates ran perfectly.

4. The mouse, a printer and a scanner are connected to a Verbatim USB-A hub, which draws its power from the FW USB-A adapter. Iā€™d like to replace this with a USB-C hub and will order a second USB-C laptop adapter.

5. The printer and scanner are normally off, however the two failures mentioned above both occurred when the scanner happened to be switched on. The WiFi & Bluetooth controllers, laptop camera & microphone, and touchpad are not used. The system also has an Ethernet and an (unused) HDMI adapter.

Iā€™m beginning to think lockups are associated with some unusual interrupt state, maybe a lost or spurious interrupt from an external device, and I note most devices all hang off one Host Controller.

Hi here, first post on the Framework forum too.
The discussion here was about WIN11 at the beginning but I really have close symptoms so it will may be relevant to put this here.

I received few weeks ago a framework13 DIY laptop with this configuration (every components from the Framework shop):

• 32GB SSD
  • 2TB NVME SSD
  • BIOS 3.05
  • 7040 AMD mainboard

I am posting here because of the same kind of problems concerning BSOD on a linux NixOS, where I can only press the power button until a hard shutdown. And to be honest it begins to be complicated to get where does this issue comes from.

Whats happens & observations:

• Random freezing with no real reasons, either with low or heavy workload (sometimes no problem at all to game for some hours but freezing on some trivial stuff)
  • When I listen some music / video and the freeze happen, I cannot do anything and the screen turns black. But I can still hear the audio that continues for ~1 min before ending and have to hard shutdown
  • Had a hard day yesterday because the laptop frozen every time I turned on a YouTube video on full-screen. On that case the screen was frozen and the audio doing infinite loops with the last second of sound until I shut it down.
  • I noticed that when the charger is not plugged in, the laptop is really more stable, like for the last few days I was able to have no freeze when on battery while running video + Kali VM with ~12GB of RAM to make some HackTheBox stuff

The things I already tried:

• used fwupdmgr to update hardware
  • Look for BIOS update (I think 3.05 is still the latest so far)
  • Install and update the framework drivers for AMD 7040
  • Update to Channel 24.05 of NixOS, rollback to 23.11
  • Trying different GUI like plasma6, GNOME, with X11 or Wayland
  • disable Hardware acceleration for every app I could
  • Try to reset the mainboard state (disconnect the battery within the BIOS, unplug every adapters, shutdown the laptop, press the power button for few seconds and rebuild the whole)
  • Not a professional at journalctl logging / debugging , but I did not found something relevant so far withing the log preceding the hard shutdowns

Next I will may try to setup power-profiles-daemon for power management and try to set PCI Express devices to performance mode. I really want to insist on the ā€œwhen-pluggedā€ issue because its really astonishing during the few past hours.

I will be grateful for any help but I am a little bit worried bc it seems that I got all last-updated drivers etcā€¦

Thanks for your responseā€¦ At this point it may be we need to better understand the circumstances in which the problem occurs and assemble some statistics. My Partner would like a FW laptop too, but not until this issue is fixed!

My system has some significant differences in configuration. Itā€™s a FW13 with an Intel Core i5-1340P processor, and it runs OpenSuSE Leap 15.5 with the Plasma user interface. WiFi, Bluetooth, camera, and microphone devices are not used; the network connection is via Ethernet.

Yesā€¦ Failures have absolutely no correlation with processor load, and always seem to be associated with mouse movement on this system. The mouse, together with a printer and scanner which are normally powered off, and occasionally a memory stick for backups, are attached to a 4-port Verbatim USB-A hub. The hub is powered from its USB interface on the laptop. Having said that, failures also occur when the mouse is directly connected to the laptop.

That certainly sounds like a clue, but I canā€™t imagine to what. Have you tried repeating the YouTube full-screen video experiment using Wayland?

I suspected that too and tried running exclusively on battery, charging it while the laptop was not otherwise in use, no users were logged in, or it was shut down. I did have one lockup on battery, but theyā€™re not frequent enough to get any meaningful statistics.

I wonder whether transients on the AC power supply are relevant? I could try running it on a UPS I suppose.

I configured this laptop expecting to use it with a large external screen, mouse and keyboard but so far prefer to use it just with an external mouse. Hence the system has an unused HDMI adapter which Iā€™d like to replace with a USB-C adapter, and I wonder whether itā€™s generating spurious interrupts, etc.

(Iā€™m surprised the touchpad still exists; the keyboard would be far more convenient if the battery & keyboard swapped places and the wretched touchpad were consigned to history.)

Hi, thanks for your answer @DavidL

Yep, at the very beginning I though that the last version of GNOME was broken within my config so I switched few times between GNOME / KDE & wayland / X11 to make some tries (even tried DWM and still had the issue).

So its a little bit too soon to say that everything is fine but it seems to gets better. With a little bit of ChatGPT carving on the AMD freeze topics, framework community forums and ArchWiki forums trying to deal with AMD it seems that I reached something way more stable. Also (see at the end of the post), a little manipulation on the battery management is undergoing.

I am not able to explain exactly why everything works better that way but here is the config that seems to be more reliable for my (I am running NixOS so the configuration is declarative in one file, but you could try google/chatGPT the list of options to get how to configure it with your OS):

imports =
        [ # Include the results of the hardware scan.
          ./hardware-configuration.nix
	   <nixos-hardware/framework/13-inch/7040-amd> # Here adds the hardware support for FW13
	  ];
    # Enable power-profile-daemon
    services.power-profiles-daemon.enable = true; # Also to avoid issues on framework13 

# Enable powerManagement with powertop
    powerManagement = {
	enable = true;
	powertop.enable = true;
    }
       # Using the last linux kernel 
       boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_latest; 
       boot.kernelParams = [ 
    	"pcie_aspm=off"                       # Here are all the options I gathered on the Internet that
	    "amd_pstate=passive"                  # could help for the stability, related to AMD GPU
	    "amdgpu.dpm=1"                        # same
	    "amdgpu.aspm=1"                       # same
	    "mem_sleep_default=deep"              # same 
	    "kvm-amd"                             # Not related (virtualization stuff)
	]; 
    # I saw on some forums that the suspend mode of the audio card could cause stability issues: 
    hardware.pulseaudio.extraConfig = '' 
        load-module module-suspend-on-idle timeout=0
	'';

### Enable the X11 windowing system.
    services.xserver.enable = true; # remove if using wayland

### Enable the GNOME Desktop Environment.
    services.xserver.displayManager.gdm.enable = true;
    services.xserver.desktopManager.gnome.enable = true;
    services.gnome.core-utilities.enable = false;

So this is a little patchwork of what seems to work for me.

I still have one freeze yesterday (so way more stable that the previous weekend) on charging but only when reaching 96% (and the external monitor plugged with a framework HDMI adapter in the right port has to be unplugged and plugged in after reboot to be detected). I tried to unplug the charger few times, discharge few percents and re-plug and freezes happened quite systematically.

So I also went into the BIOS to reduce the maximum battery charging point to 90% to see if it changes something. (Just press F2 and go in the Settings/Advanced tab to find the right option).

So it seems that the first part handled nicely the ā€˜classicā€™ cases, the battery thing the ā€˜fully-charged-and-plugged-inā€™ problem. I will update this post later if needed according to the results.

Maybe try turning off Memory integrity?

(I had a ProArt before and it would freeze every now and then whenever I turned on memory integrity.)

Was this originally a MS Windows system, or was it upgraded from Windows to Linux?

Some desktop products running Windows used ā€œOptaneā€ memory, supposedly for the sake of performance. However it isnā€™t supported by Linux, where it resulted in freezes and other obscure problems. I found myself in a lot of trouble until the cause was identified by the wise heads in the OpenSuSE forum.

Iā€™m reluctant to change low-level parts of the system with which Iā€™m unfamiiar, but thanksfor your suggestion - Iā€™ll bear it in mind.

Somewhere on the FW website Iā€™ve read advice from a Support Engineer that the charger should always be used when an external monitor is connected, but exactly why was not specified. I think driving a display requires a lot of power compared to other common devices.

But what do you mean by ā€œand the external monitor plugged with a framework HDMI adapter in the right portā€? Should the HDMI adapter (and other three) be plugged into a specific USB-C slot?

I struck the same issue with the Ethernet adapter after installing the O/S offline. It was caused by the laptop power-management package (part of the Linux distro) which apparently decided the Ethernet adapter was inactive and so put it in a disabled state. Un/Replugging wakes it up.

As a temporary fix, I uninstalled the package and set the Ethernet so it initialises in the active state. However this needs to be revisitedā€¦

Correction: That was confusingly worded. Deleting the battery power-management package ā€˜tlpā€™ resulted in the Ethernet device initialising as (re)configured without being over-ridden by tlp.

Sorry for that late reply, but finally it was not that much more stable so I changed my strategy and waited a little bit in order to see the results.

=> I mean the HDMI adapter was plugged in the port advised by the port mapping (for example it is not a good idea to plug an HDMI adpater into a charging port if I get it right).

=> I am quite surprised to see that it happens with the Ethernet adapter too but it is good that you found that workaround

Therefore I decided to switch to another OS, officially supported (Fedora 40) in order to check if this comes from my non-ability to configure correctly my system or not. First it was really easy to make everything work out of the Box (quite normal I think). I followed the Linux / fedora guides on framework websites, etcā€¦

The result is the following: the freezes did not disappeared completely but no more issues related to the charging part of earlier (like no more systematic crashes when charging and up to a certain %age).

But still some crashes when navigating on Firefox, especially when looking some videos on Youtube.

Also I switched to Brave-Browser (chromium based) and it reduces the crashes amount too, the browser experience is not normal now.

Some freezes still happen (like 3-4 during the last 3 days) but at least the laptop is usable. Plus, I got one today and got this report from bugzilla:

os_info
2.17.5abrt-oopsx86_64WARNING: CPU: 6 PID: 12886 at drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/../display/dc/clk_mgr/dcn314/dcn314_smu.c:159 dcn314_smu_send_msg_with_param+0x108/0x190 [amdgpu]

Modules linked in: xt_CHECKSUM xt_MASQUERADE xt_conntrack ipt_REJECT nft_compat nf_nat_tftp nf_conntrack_tftp bridge stp llc uhid uinput rfcomm snd_seq_dummy snd_hrtimer nf_conntrack_netbios_ns nf_conntrack_broadcast nft_fib_inet nft_fib_ipv4 nft_fib_ipv6 nft_fib nft_reject_inet nf_reject_ipv4 nf_reject_ipv6 nft_reject nft_ct nft_chain_nat nf_nat nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4 ip_set nf_tables qrtr bnep sunrpc binfmt_misc snd_sof_amd_acp63 snd_sof_amd_vangogh snd_sof_amd_rembrandt snd_sof_amd_renoir snd_sof_amd_acp snd_sof_pci snd_sof_xtensa_dsp amd_atl snd_sof intel_rapl_msr intel_rapl_common mt7921e edac_mce_amd mt7921_common snd_sof_utils mt792x_lib kvm_amd snd_pci_ps snd_hda_codec_realtek mt76_connac_lib snd_amd_sdw_acpi soundwire_amd snd_hda_codec_generic mt76 soundwire_generic_allocation snd_hda_scodec_component kvm snd_hda_codec_hdmi soundwire_bus snd_hda_intel mac80211 snd_soc_core snd_intel_dspcfg snd_intel_sdw_acpi snd_hda_codec snd_compress ac97_bus snd_pcm_dmaengine
 snd_rpl_pci_acp6x snd_acp_pci snd_hda_core snd_acp_legacy_common snd_pci_acp6x snd_hwdep btusb snd_seq btrtl btintel snd_seq_device btbcm libarc4 btmtk vfat hid_sensor_als cros_ec_lpcs cros_ec hid_sensor_trigger bluetooth fat hid_sensor_iio_common snd_pcm rapl snd_pci_acp5x cfg80211 industrialio_triggered_buffer kfifo_buf snd_rn_pci_acp3x amd_pmf snd_acp_config snd_timer industrialio wmi_bmof snd_soc_acpi pcspkr amdtee thunderbolt snd_pci_acp3x snd rfkill k10temp soundcore i2c_piix4 amd_sfh tee platform_profile amd_pmc joydev loop nfnetlink zram amdgpu amdxcp i2c_algo_bit drm_ttm_helper ttm drm_exec crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul gpu_sched crc32c_intel drm_suballoc_helper nvme polyval_clmulni drm_buddy polyval_generic drm_display_helper nvme_core ucsi_acpi ghash_clmulni_intel typec_ucsi video sha512_ssse3 hid_multitouch hid_sensor_hub ccp cec sha256_ssse3 sha1_ssse3 typec sp5100_tco nvme_auth wmi i2c_hid_acpi i2c_hid serio_raw ip6_tables ip_tables fuse
CPU: 6 PID: 12886 Comm: kworker/u48:0 Not tainted 6.9.8-200.fc40.x86_64 #1

Hardware name: Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040Series)/FRANMDCP05, BIOS 03.05 03/29/2024

Workqueue: amdgpu-reset-dev drm_sched_job_timedout [gpu_sched]
RIP: 0010:dcn314_smu_send_msg_with_param+0x108/0x190 [amdgpu]
Code: be 93 62 01 00 5d 41 5c 41 5d e9 b3 7c de ff 44 89 ea 48 c7 c6 30 c5 78 c1 48 c7 c7 a0 aa 2b c1 e8 0d d7 ae f0 e9 48 ff ff ff <0f> 0b 48 8b 3b b9 80 84 1e 00 44 89 e2 89 ee e8 74 30 df ff eb b5
RSP: 0018:ffffab34cae27960 EFLAGS: 00010246
RAX: 000099581c892aca RBX: ffff9402cbddcc00 RCX: 0000000000000003
RDX: 0000000000009664 RSI: 0000000000008876 RDI: 000099581c889466
RBP: 0000000000000012 R08: ffffab34cae27974 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 00000000000039bc R11: 00000000000001e1 R12: 0000000000000007
R13: 0000000000000000 R14: ffffab34cae27998 R15: ffff9402dd980000
FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff940a1e700000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 000023fc00d8d000 CR3: 000000020c428000 CR4: 0000000000f50ef0
PKRU: 55555554

Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 ? dcn314_smu_send_msg_with_param+0x108/0x190 [amdgpu]
 ? __warn.cold+0x8e/0xe8
 ? report_bug+0xff/0x140
 ? handle_bug+0x3c/0x80
 ? exc_invalid_op+0x17/0x70
 ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1a/0x20
 dcn314_update_clocks+0x40e/0x520 [amdgpu]
 dcn20_optimize_bandwidth+0x121/0x250 [amdgpu]
 dc_commit_state_no_check+0xfa6/0x1960 [amdgpu]
 dc_commit_streams+0x299/0x5b0 [amdgpu]
 ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0xfbef5
 dm_suspend+0x214/0x270 [amdgpu]
 amdgpu_device_ip_suspend_phase1+0x9a/0x180 [amdgpu]
 amdgpu_device_ip_suspend+0x29/0x70 [amdgpu]
 amdgpu_device_pre_asic_reset+0xcd/0x420 [amdgpu]
 amdgpu_device_gpu_recover.cold+0x475/0xb44 [amdgpu]
 amdgpu_job_timedout+0x18e/0x1d0 [amdgpu]
 drm_sched_job_timedout+0x73/0x100 [gpu_sched]
 process_one_work+0x17b/0x340
 worker_thread+0x278/0x3b0
 ? __pfx_worker_thread+0x10/0x10
 kthread+0xcf/0x100
 ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
 ret_from_fork+0x31/0x50
 ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
 ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30
 </TASK>
BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt1)/boot/vmlinuz-6.9.8-200.fc40.x86_64 root=UUID=2a8cf383-eff5-49be-bfc1-757bc09312a8 ro rhgb quiet amdgpu.sg_display=0kernel2Architecture:                         x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):                       32-bit, 64-bit
Address sizes:                        48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
Byte Order:                           Little Endian
CPU(s):                               12
On-line CPU(s) list:                  0-11
Vendor ID:                            AuthenticAMD
BIOS Vendor ID:                       Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Model name:                           AMD Ryzen 5 7640U w/ Radeon 760M Graphics
BIOS Model name:                      AMD Ryzen 5 7640U w/ Radeon 760M Graphics       Unknown CPU @ 3.5GHz
BIOS CPU family:                      107
CPU family:                           25
Model:                                116
Thread(s) per core:                   2
Core(s) per socket:                   6
Socket(s):                            1
Stepping:                             1
CPU(s) scaling MHz:                   26%
CPU max MHz:                          4971.0000
CPU min MHz:                          400.0000
BogoMIPS:                             6986.70
Flags:                                fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good amd_lbr_v2 nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf rapl pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb cat_l3 cdp_l3 hw_pstate ssbd mba perfmon_v2 ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid cqm rdt_a avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx smap avx512ifma clflushopt clwb avx512cd sha_ni avx512bw avx512vl xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local user_shstk avx512_bf16 clzero irperf xsaveerptr rdpru wbnoinvd cppc arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold v_vmsave_vmload vgif x2avic v_spec_ctrl vnmi avx512vbmi umip pku ospke avx512_vbmi2 gfni vaes vpclmulqdq avx512_vnni avx512_bitalg avx512_vpopcntdq rdpid overflow_recov succor smca fsrm flush_l1d amd_lbr_pmc_freeze
Virtualization:                       AMD-V
L1d cache:                            192 KiB (6 instances)
L1i cache:                            192 KiB (6 instances)
L2 cache:                             6 MiB (6 instances)
L3 cache:                             16 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA node(s):                         1
NUMA node0 CPU(s):                    0-11
Vulnerability Gather data sampling:   Not affected
Vulnerability Itlb multihit:          Not affected
Vulnerability L1tf:                   Not affected
Vulnerability Mds:                    Not affected
Vulnerability Meltdown:               Not affected
Vulnerability Mmio stale data:        Not affected
Vulnerability Reg file data sampling: Not affected
Vulnerability Retbleed:               Not affected
Vulnerability Spec rstack overflow:   Mitigation; Safe RET
Vulnerability Spec store bypass:      Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
Vulnerability Spectre v1:             Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Vulnerability Spectre v2:             Mitigation; Enhanced / Automatic IBRS; IBPB conditional; STIBP always-on; RSB filling; PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected; BHI Not affected
Vulnerability Srbds:                  Not affected
Vulnerability Tsx async abort:        Not affected
dcn314_smu_send_msg_with_paramcaf37839ddaac077d525c66b4ad320c85573bc332024-07-14-11:18:17> ('report_uReport' completed successfully)
2024-07-14-11:18:17> Looking for similar problems in bugzilla
2024-07-14-11:18:41> This problem has not been reported to Bugzilla.
2024-07-14-11:18:41* ('post_report' exited with 1)
device-80.home6.9.8-200.fc40.x86_641720950612NAME="Fedora Linux"
VERSION="40 (Workstation Edition)"
ID=fedora
VERSION_ID=40
VERSION_CODENAME=""
PLATFORM_ID="platform:f40"
PRETTY_NAME="Fedora Linux 40 (Workstation Edition)"
ANSI_COLOR="0;38;2;60;110;180"
LOGO=fedora-logo-icon
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:40"
DEFAULT_HOSTNAME="fedora"
HOME_URL="https://fedoraproject.org/"
DOCUMENTATION_URL="https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/f40/system-administrators-guide/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://ask.fedoraproject.org/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Fedora"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=40
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Fedora"
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=40
SUPPORT_END=2025-05-13
VARIANT="Workstation Edition"
VARIANT_ID=workstation
Fedora release 40 (Forty)kernel-core-6.9.8-200.fc40x86_6400727 707E A15B 79CCkernel-core200.fc40Fedora Project6.9.8xt_CHECKSUM 12288 1 - Live 0xffffffffc28ee000
xt_MASQUERADE 16384 3 - Live 0xffffffffc28f4000
xt_conntrack 12288 1 - Live 0xffffffffc28da000
ipt_REJECT 12288 2 - Live 0xffffffffc28d0000
nft_compat 24576 7 - Live 0xffffffffc28de000
nf_nat_tftp 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc28d4000
nf_conntrack_tftp 20480 3 nf_nat_tftp, Live 0xffffffffc284e000
bridge 454656 0 - Live 0xffffffffc285b000
stp 12288 1 bridge, Live 0xffffffffc2853000
llc 16384 2 bridge,stp, Live 0xffffffffc2804000
uhid 24576 1 - Live 0xffffffffc2818000
uinput 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc231e000
rfcomm 102400 16 - Live 0xffffffffc282a000
snd_seq_dummy 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc2322000
snd_hrtimer 12288 1 - Live 0xffffffffc1a25000
nf_conntrack_netbios_ns 12288 1 - Live 0xffffffffc2824000
nf_conntrack_broadcast 12288 1 nf_conntrack_netbios_ns, Live 0xffffffffc281c000
nft_fib_inet 12288 1 - Live 0xffffffffc2812000
nft_fib_ipv4 12288 1 nft_fib_inet, Live 0xffffffffc2808000
nft_fib_ipv6 12288 1 nft_fib_inet, Live 0xffffffffc27fe000
nft_fib 12288 3 nft_fib_inet,nft_fib_ipv4,nft_fib_ipv6, Live 0xffffffffc27ce000
nft_reject_inet 12288 13 - Live 0xffffffffc27f6000
nf_reject_ipv4 12288 2 ipt_REJECT,nft_reject_inet, Live 0xffffffffc27e7000
nf_reject_ipv6 20480 1 nft_reject_inet, Live 0xffffffffc27d0000
nft_reject 12288 1 nft_reject_inet, Live 0xffffffffc258a000
nft_ct 28672 9 - Live 0xffffffffc277a000
nft_chain_nat 12288 5 - Live 0xffffffffc2787000
nf_nat 65536 3 xt_MASQUERADE,nf_nat_tftp,nft_chain_nat, Live 0xffffffffc27d5000
nf_conntrack 192512 8 xt_MASQUERADE,xt_conntrack,nf_nat_tftp,nf_conntrack_tftp,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns,nf_conntrack_broadcast,nft_ct,nf_nat, Live 0xffffffffc2795000
nf_defrag_ipv6 24576 1 nf_conntrack, Live 0xffffffffc258c000
nf_defrag_ipv4 12288 1 nf_conntrack, Live 0xffffffffc1fd8000
ip_set 69632 0 - Live 0xffffffffc26d8000
nf_tables 409600 650 nft_compat,nft_fib_inet,nft_fib_ipv4,nft_fib_ipv6,nft_fib,nft_reject_inet,nft_reject,nft_ct,nft_chain_nat, Live 0xffffffffc2728000
qrtr 57344 2 - Live 0xffffffffc255c000
bnep 36864 2 - Live 0xffffffffc20dc000
sunrpc 905216 1 - Live 0xffffffffc25e1000
binfmt_misc 28672 1 - Live 0xffffffffc1b4b000
snd_sof_amd_acp63 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc24d9000
snd_sof_amd_vangogh 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc2353000
snd_sof_amd_rembrandt 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1fee000
snd_sof_amd_renoir 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1b57000
snd_sof_amd_acp 69632 4 snd_sof_amd_acp63,snd_sof_amd_vangogh,snd_sof_amd_rembrandt,snd_sof_amd_renoir, Live 0xffffffffc251d000
snd_sof_pci 24576 4 snd_sof_amd_acp63,snd_sof_amd_vangogh,snd_sof_amd_rembrandt,snd_sof_amd_renoir, Live 0xffffffffc20bd000
snd_sof_xtensa_dsp 16384 1 snd_sof_amd_acp, Live 0xffffffffc2355000
amd_atl 53248 1 - Live 0xffffffffc1e79000
snd_sof 483328 2 snd_sof_amd_acp,snd_sof_pci, Live 0xffffffffc24f0000
intel_rapl_msr 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc19e2000
intel_rapl_common 45056 1 intel_rapl_msr, Live 0xffffffffc2136000
mt7921e 24576 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1e31000
edac_mce_amd 40960 0 - Live 0xffffffffc20ba000
mt7921_common 98304 1 mt7921e, Live 0xffffffffc2563000
snd_sof_utils 16384 1 snd_sof, Live 0xffffffffc205c000
mt792x_lib 69632 2 mt7921e,mt7921_common, Live 0xffffffffc2130000
kvm_amd 217088 7 - Live 0xffffffffc2528000
snd_pci_ps 28672 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1c35000
snd_hda_codec_realtek 208896 1 - Live 0xffffffffc22e5000
mt76_connac_lib 102400 3 mt7921e,mt7921_common,mt792x_lib, Live 0xffffffffc233c000
snd_amd_sdw_acpi 16384 2 snd_sof_amd_acp,snd_pci_ps, Live 0xffffffffc19f2000
soundwire_amd 49152 2 snd_sof_amd_acp,snd_pci_ps, Live 0xffffffffc1bc1000
snd_hda_codec_generic 131072 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek, Live 0xffffffffc26e2000
mt76 139264 4 mt7921e,mt7921_common,mt792x_lib,mt76_connac_lib, Live 0xffffffffc26f2000
soundwire_generic_allocation 12288 1 soundwire_amd, Live 0xffffffffc1c20000
snd_hda_scodec_component 20480 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek, Live 0xffffffffc1bdd000
kvm 1445888 6 kvm_amd, Live 0xffffffffc236e000
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 102400 1 - Live 0xffffffffc2029000
soundwire_bus 143360 2 soundwire_amd,soundwire_generic_allocation, Live 0xffffffffc1c11000
snd_hda_intel 69632 6 - Live 0xffffffffc1be3000
mac80211 1744896 4 mt7921_common,mt792x_lib,mt76_connac_lib,mt76, Live 0xffffffffc213a000
snd_soc_core 516096 2 snd_sof,soundwire_amd, Live 0xffffffffc1d95000
snd_intel_dspcfg 45056 2 snd_sof,snd_hda_intel, Live 0xffffffffc1a9f000
snd_intel_sdw_acpi 16384 1 snd_intel_dspcfg, Live 0xffffffffc1b81000
snd_hda_codec 225280 4 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel, Live 0xffffffffc20ee000
snd_compress 28672 1 snd_soc_core, Live 0xffffffffc20e0000
ac97_bus 12288 1 snd_soc_core, Live 0xffffffffc20d6000
snd_pcm_dmaengine 16384 1 snd_soc_core, Live 0xffffffffc20cc000
snd_rpl_pci_acp6x 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc20bf000
snd_acp_pci 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc20b4000
snd_hda_core 151552 5 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec, Live 0xffffffffc205f000
snd_acp_legacy_common 16384 1 snd_acp_pci, Live 0xffffffffc2055000
snd_pci_acp6x 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc2083000
snd_hwdep 20480 1 snd_hda_codec, Live 0xffffffffc2076000
btusb 86016 0 - Live 0xffffffffc2034000
snd_seq 135168 7 snd_seq_dummy, Live 0xffffffffc2004000
btrtl 36864 1 btusb, Live 0xffffffffc1ff3000
btintel 65536 1 btusb, Live 0xffffffffc1fda000
snd_seq_device 16384 1 snd_seq, Live 0xffffffffc1fce000
btbcm 24576 1 btusb, Live 0xffffffffc1e54000
libarc4 12288 1 mac80211, Live 0xffffffffc1e4c000
btmtk 12288 1 btusb, Live 0xffffffffc1e34000
vfat 24576 1 - Live 0xffffffffc1e0c000
hid_sensor_als 16384 1 - Live 0xffffffffc1e08000
cros_ec_lpcs 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1b73000
cros_ec 20480 1 cros_ec_lpcs, Live 0xffffffffc1fbc000
hid_sensor_trigger 20480 2 hid_sensor_als, Live 0xffffffffc1b77000
bluetooth 1056768 46 rfcomm,bnep,btusb,btrtl,btintel,btbcm,btmtk, Live 0xffffffffc1e81000
fat 114688 1 vfat, Live 0xffffffffc1e5a000
hid_sensor_iio_common 24576 2 hid_sensor_als,hid_sensor_trigger, Live 0xffffffffc08ad000
snd_pcm 196608 14 snd_sof_amd_acp,snd_sof,snd_sof_utils,snd_pci_ps,soundwire_amd,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_soc_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_compress,snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_hda_core,snd_pci_acp6x, Live 0xffffffffc1de7000
rapl 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc19f7000
snd_pci_acp5x 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc19e9000
cfg80211 1421312 4 mt7921_common,mt76_connac_lib,mt76,mac80211, Live 0xffffffffc1c39000
industrialio_triggered_buffer 12288 1 hid_sensor_trigger, Live 0xffffffffc19dc000
kfifo_buf 12288 1 industrialio_triggered_buffer, Live 0xffffffffc1bd1000
snd_rn_pci_acp3x 24576 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1a4f000
amd_pmf 86016 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1c00000
snd_acp_config 20480 9 snd_sof_amd_acp63,snd_sof_amd_vangogh,snd_sof_amd_rembrandt,snd_sof_amd_renoir,snd_pci_ps,snd_acp_pci,snd_pci_acp6x,snd_pci_acp5x,snd_rn_pci_acp3x, Live 0xffffffffc1bf6000
snd_timer 53248 3 snd_hrtimer,snd_seq,snd_pcm, Live 0xffffffffc1bc6000
industrialio 135168 5 hid_sensor_als,hid_sensor_trigger,industrialio_triggered_buffer,kfifo_buf, Live 0xffffffffc1b93000
wmi_bmof 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1b89000
snd_soc_acpi 16384 3 snd_sof_amd_acp,snd_pci_ps,snd_acp_config, Live 0xffffffffc1a43000
pcspkr 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1b79000
amdtee 40960 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1b65000
thunderbolt 577536 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1ab3000
snd_pci_acp3x 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc19fa000
snd 159744 26 snd_sof,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_soc_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_compress,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer, Live 0xffffffffc1a66000
rfkill 40960 7 bluetooth,cfg80211, Live 0xffffffffc1a54000
k10temp 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1a48000
soundcore 16384 1 snd, Live 0xffffffffc1a3c000
i2c_piix4 40960 0 - Live 0xffffffffc1a2a000
amd_sfh 69632 1 amd_pmf, Live 0xffffffffc1a12000
tee 49152 2 amd_pmf,amdtee, Live 0xffffffffc19fd000
platform_profile 12288 1 amd_pmf, Live 0xffffffffc072f000
amd_pmc 45056 0 - Live 0xffffffffc08b0000
joydev 32768 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0889000
loop 45056 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0786000
nfnetlink 20480 5 nft_compat,ip_set,nf_tables, Live 0xffffffffc06d2000
zram 40960 2 - Live 0xffffffffc0668000
amdgpu 17829888 30 - Live 0xffffffffc08bc000
amdxcp 12288 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc0873000
i2c_algo_bit 20480 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc07c1000
drm_ttm_helper 12288 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc076b000
ttm 114688 2 amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper, Live 0xffffffffc0804000
drm_exec 12288 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc072b000
crct10dif_pclmul 12288 1 - Live 0xffffffffc0727000
crc32_pclmul 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc06bf000
gpu_sched 65536 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc06ab000
crc32c_intel 16384 4 - Live 0xffffffffc0656000
drm_suballoc_helper 12288 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc08b6000
nvme 69632 3 - Live 0xffffffffc0898000
polyval_clmulni 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc088e000
drm_buddy 20480 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc0881000
polyval_generic 12288 1 polyval_clmulni, Live 0xffffffffc0877000
drm_display_helper 274432 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc0819000
nvme_core 245760 4 nvme, Live 0xffffffffc07c4000
ucsi_acpi 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc07b9000
ghash_clmulni_intel 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc07ad000
typec_ucsi 77824 1 ucsi_acpi, Live 0xffffffffc078d000
video 81920 1 amdgpu, Live 0xffffffffc076e000
sha512_ssse3 53248 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0759000
hid_multitouch 36864 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0746000
hid_sensor_hub 32768 3 hid_sensor_als,hid_sensor_trigger,hid_sensor_iio_common, Live 0xffffffffc0734000
ccp 180224 2 kvm_amd,amdtee, Live 0xffffffffc06f7000
cec 98304 1 drm_display_helper, Live 0xffffffffc06d5000
sha256_ssse3 36864 0 - Live 0xffffffffc06c4000
sha1_ssse3 32768 0 - Live 0xffffffffc06b9000
typec 118784 1 typec_ucsi, Live 0xffffffffc068a000
sp5100_tco 20480 0 - Live 0xffffffffc067c000
nvme_auth 28672 1 nvme_core, Live 0xffffffffc066d000
wmi 36864 2 wmi_bmof,video, Live 0xffffffffc065a000
i2c_hid_acpi 12288 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0650000
i2c_hid 45056 1 i2c_hid_acpi, Live 0xffffffffc0633000
serio_raw 16384 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0618000
ip6_tables 28672 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0638000
ip_tables 28672 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0628000
fuse 229376 5 - Live 0xffffffffc05dc000
WARNING: CPU: 6 PID: 12886 at drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/../display/dc/clk_mgr/dcn314/dcn314_smu.c:159 dcn314_smu_send_msg_with_param+0x108/0x190 [amdgpu] [amdgpu]uReport: BTHASH=abff0edc2756c49406e3a7c17abf17d5d0cec10e
ABRT Server: URL=https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/reports/bthash/abff0edc2756c49406e3a7c17abf17d5d0cec10e
N 5
success: 2
fail: 0
failed_freeze: 0
failed_prepare: 0
failed_suspend: 0
failed_suspend_late: 0
failed_suspend_noirq: 0
failed_resume_noirq: 0
failed_resume_early: 0
failed_resume: 0
failures:
  last_failed_dev:	

last_failed_errno:	0
  last_failed_step:	

1720948548Kerneloops1caf37839ddaac077d525c66b4ad320c85573bc33

I will investigate through this log later, but maybe it could be useful for you. And at first view it seems to confirms that it is well coming from the AMD part - at least for my case.

Iā€™m also pretty sure battery charge isnā€™t the problem. This FW13 is normally run while trickle-charged from the FW power adapter. However yesterday, by accident, it was on battery down to 2% of full charge before the AC adapter was switched on, and it ran faultlessly the whole time. Earlier today it ran fine down to 19% of full charge.

Iā€™ll reinstall ā€˜tlpā€™ when I have time (and after updating the BIOS so as not to complicate matters) since I think all it needs is an edited entry in the config file in /etc.

This issue has always seemed to me more likely to be BIOS- or maybe even hardware-related, and several FW users have observed that BIOS upgrades appear to end hard-freezes, e.g. Random hard freezes fw13 amd7840u win11 - #445 by Brian_Gregory

My own FW13 has an Intel-5 CPU which may be less likely to induce the problem than Ryzen, but itā€™s still frozen 4 or 5 times since June 30th, twice within 24 hours.

Iā€™m preparing to update the BIOS to 3.05 together with the updated shell, and weā€™ll see if that fixes the problemā€¦

I should add Iā€™ve only used Windows on my Framework 13 laptop.
I have used both the built-in touchpad and a Bluetooth mouse.
I rarely bother with sleep and hibernate, I just boot up, use it, and shutdown.

Note that unless youā€™ve specifically disabled ā€œFast Startupā€, the ā€œShutdownā€ button in Windows is actually ā€œLog out then hibernateā€. (Rebooting is still legit.)

TLP is kind of famous for randomly killing devices (both onboard and external), itā€™s a significant part of the power savings it provides. So you should either be prepared to debug issues of this sort or use something less aggressive (e.g. power-profiles-daemon as recommended in the Framework docs, preferably a recent version).

That is so rightā€¦ Searching the OpenSuSE Forum for tlp-related problems revealed something which hadnā€™t occurred to me.

Some laptops have a BIOS parameter which disables USB devices when running on battery. This of course includes USB-C ports used for supplying AC power via the AC adapter. Gotcha - Catch 22!!

I think Iā€™ll adopt a view similar to that of a contributor to the OpenSuSE forum. Having uninstalled ā€˜tlpā€™ I might keep it that way. If I want the laptop to save battery power Iā€™ll close the lid to suspend it. Thereā€™s no point in complicating life unnecessarily.

The power-profiles-demon is running, and Iā€™ll have a closer look at its config.

I suppose I must have disabled fast startup. Plus I usually do whatever it takes to make absolutely sure hibernate cannot occur no matter what. Once you have a fast NVME SSD all that stuff and hybrid boot doesnā€™t really help and only causes problems. People who try and use it are always moaning they found their laptop boiling hot or with the battery dead in their rucksack on many if not all Windows laptops not just Framework.