Real-world battery life experience FW13 AMD

While my laptop doesn’t hold charge well in suspend, it does in hibernate, which you can enable in fedora. The only problem I have is that wifi no longer works after hibernate comes back. I’m still hoping for an update that will fix the wifi issue.

@GastonGR and @Shijikori: Please also run the script I linked above if you have problems with sleep-battery-drain. The AMD Framework is definitely capable of doing week-ish sleep on battery for me (I haven’t done exact measurements, but it’s been on sleep for multiple days without running out of battery). If it doesn’t for you, there is probably a configuration error somewhere, and the script has a lot of checks and hints of what might be wrong. If you still have problem after running the script, you can probably ask in the other thread, Mario is usually very kind in giving people additional hints.

The power profiles are for when the laptop is awake, not when sleeping.

1 Like

Currently impossible as freedesktop gitlab is migrating. I have setup everything I found on the Arch Wiki page following all related guidance and notices. To my memory, the battery in suspend wasn’t too bad but it was only capable of 3 days, not a week.
The MediaTek chip is extremely annoying, especially with the issues it has on wake up from suspend and wake up from hibernate. Changing the NetworkManager backend to iw can help but that doesn’t make it that much more reliable.
Using the power saving power profile allows pretty good battery without video decode.

Little update, I lost about 3 to 5% charge over night left on suspend. Which I’d consider pretty alright. Over night being around 6 hours.

1 Like

Here’s a temporary mirror for now:
superm1/amd-s2idle (github.com)

Nothing to report. All checks are good. If I have one suggestion it would be to maybe list your dependencies. It’s quite annoying to run the script multiple times to iron out the dependencies one by one.

Indeed, thanks. After running the script again and fixing my issue (apparently problematic kernel boot arg I added for another purpose), it looks like my FW13 AMD can last a good 5 days (120+ hours) suspended; much better.

1 Like

Can you suggest what you had to install? It’s supposed to find and try to install them for you for Deb/rpm/arch.

python-systemd, python-udev, iasl and python-distro… those I am sure of, the rest I do not recall. I also noticed it tried to install some packages with pip which caused it to fail to install dependencies since you can’t install python packages system wide with pip on Arch. Unless you really want to.

Specifically, it needs python-distro to detect the host operating system. Without it, it’ll fall back on installing with pip.

Ah yeah; I remembered having to install python-distro by hand when I tried it on Arch. The tough thing is python-distro isn’t really needed unless you’re missing the others. But maybe it should just be made into a hard requirement.

I’ve modified the script to make python-distro compulsory. The rest it should try to install with pacman now (will obviously prompt you though).

Hi there!

I am considering doing a board upgrade from the original 11th gen to either this AMD board (or the latest Intel one). With this upgrade, I aim to fix only one issue: poor battery life when suspended (s2idle). I seem to understand that, if things are configured properly (with the help of @Mario_Limonciello’s script), the AMD board will get the job done.

Do you see any reason to consider the 13th gen Intel solution instead, though?

Cheers,

no AMD’S way more power efficent and has a vastly superior IGPU

1 Like

AFAIK 13th gen has [deep]

1 Like

Looking to order a 13’ AMD soon.

What is now the best setup to get 10-hour battery running Linux?

Which combo CPU, WIFI, RAM, etc?

The newer Intel Core Ultra might be more interesting as it boasts more capable ARC iGPUs which do provide very similar performance to the Radeon 780M on the AMD APUs. Historically, Intel iGPUs also have consumed less power while the newer AMD APUs with RDNA graphics have a lot of issues with the GPU’s power consumption.
If you watch a lot of video content on your laptop, you might as well go with the newer Core Ultra as the impact the RDNA GPU has on battery life can be important.

1 Like

Ryzen 7 (larger battery), 32GB of RAM, default MT/RZ616 wifi… It’s just about running it in power save on watching no video at all to get close to the 10-hour.

32 GG on one stick or 2 x 16GB? Which one is better for the battery?

Single stick uses marginally (like as in barely above measurable error ~0.2W) less power than 2 at low load at the cost of halving your bandwidth. Not worth it imo. Running 4800 instead of 5600 doesn’t even make a measurable difference at low load.

This only counts for amd the intel platforms apparently react quite differently (apparently reacts quite well to slower speeds).

The only reason I’d go with a single 32 stick over 2x16 is if I knew I’d add a second 32 stick relatively soon.

1 Like