Recommended laptop bags / cases / sleeves?

Lenovo Select Targus 16" Mobile Elite Backpack. It just fits with the dGPU attached.

6 Likes

Didn’t expect it, but it fits in my ancient Dicota Mission XL (from ~2005) with dGPU just fine:

1 Like

I had my DBrand weeks before the laptop. I just wish I was better at applying it.

5 Likes

I just ordered one (the simple version, they also have tote style and folding bags for laptops) for the FW 16, I will report on the fit once the bag and the notebook have arrived.
In the “additional notes” text field at the end of the order process, I made sure to mention the FW knowledge base website with the exact dimensions (this URL), and also to mention that I use it solely in the Expansion Bay Shell configuration (which is smaller than with the Graphics Module, as we all know), so I am in good hopes it will turn out right on the first try (in case Mapbagrag didn’t already have FW 16 customers). :smile:

1 Like

I ordered a Swissgear 8121. My framework 16 with DGPU will fit inside of the laptop compartment while inside of a Cushcase.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but the GPU equipped laptop fits (barely) in the laptop sleeve in my old Timbuk2 custom Alcatraz.

Also fits in my new Osprey Daylite 44L’s laptop compartment, but that thing is huge so no surprise there. Might even have room to fit a sleeve over it too.

3 Likes

All these “barely fit” makes me worried that mine will be the same way. I also have the Cushcase sleeve so now I don’t think I can slide it into my book bag with the sleeve on. Oh well.

I hope future dGPU upgrades won’t get physically bigger than the currently 7700S.

Batch 5 waiting for payment request.

Probably depends on the future power brick availability. Once there’s some 240W power bricks, they might go up to higher end dGPU that needs more power, which means it’ll need more cooling, so it might have to get a bit larger.

Yes that too, but I was thinking more about the sleeves and back packs. It seems even the largest ones, this current version with the 7700S barely fits, so… no more please, lol.

Ordered my CushCase at the start of March and it’s already here in Spain. Post Office is having me pay ~16 Euros for the import fees, which is honestly fine. If anyone else in the EU was eyeing them and their country was not on CushCase’s shipping list, send support an email and they should be able to help out.

1 Like

I bought that one: https://www.bagage24.fr/Fjaellraeven-Haulpack-No-1-Sac-a-dos-39-cm-pour-ordinateur-portable-dark-grey-23340-030.html?searchparam=Haulpack
The FW16 with RX7700S fits in perfectly.

Based on the information in this thread, I ended up getting the Tomtoc Defender A-14 briefcase for a 17”. I configured my FW16 with the number pad, so depending on how I have my keyboard setup, I always have extra pieces, plus I bought extra input modules. I wanted to have a briefcase where I could store those parts and then use it to carry the FW16 if I wanted to take it on the go. This case seems to fit the bill.

1 Like

I am actually would like to have a slim bag that just holds the laptop + graphics module. And then smaller additional bags that are easily attachable (and detachable) in case I plan to bring my extra input modules or the charging cable.

The thing is, often times I just need a simple sleeve for the laptop and don’t need all the accessories. And having a whole bagpack is just too much for most of my use cases.

Currently I have this amazon basic sleeve for my macbook and I love it (just won’t work for the Framework):
81dGEfAsRAL.AC_SS450

To be honest, I am thinking about making my own laptop sleeve with small attachable extra bags. Thing is, I have little to no experience in stitching. So I am torn between getting something that just works but is not ideal or something that is probably fun to make but will also probably end up a bit shitty.

Batch 11 here. I’m a university student and need a good backpack that can comfortably fit my laptop with dGPU (preferably sleeved, but I’ll be ok if not), charging cable, water bottle, notebook, a few pencils, and a graphing calculator. I really don’t want to put strain on the seams of my backpack by squeezing it in there.

So far the Swissgear 8121 looks like the best option for me, but it’s sold out everywhere. I really don’t like the design of most gaming backpacks (Lenovo, Alienware, etc.). Any suggestions?

My kids both have the 13" and an EastPack - as they are made to endure harsh student lives :}
The 16" will be very heavy IMHO for uni.

The 16" with dGPU is only 0.02 pounds heavier than my current laptop, so I think I’ll be fine!

1 Like

:joy: Yeah, in that case, you should be fine :smiley:

1 Like

I’d like to see an update on this when you get your laptop! This looks like a good one

Did anyone try any backpack from https://www.peakdesign.com/ yet?

PeakDesign’s Everyday Backpack has been my daily for a few years now. I just received my FW16, and it DOES NOT… even with nothing in the expansion bay.