I currently have the Chromebook version of the Framework device but I’m having a hard time finding instructions to reinstall ChromeOS. I’ve set up the install disk from Google but I’m unable to boot into the BIOS.
Chromebooks don’t have a traditional firmware, so you won’t be able to get into a BIOS to run an install disk like that. Instead, you’ll want to factory reset your device:
Hope that helps!
What you are looking for is the Chrome Recovery utility, which is an chrome extension. You can reinstall your OS from USB drive.
On the working computer, not the Chromebook with the error:
- If you’re using a Mac or Windows computer:
- Install Chrome.
- Open Chrome .
- Install the recovery extension.
- To open the recovery extension:
- At the top right of your browser window, click Extensions .
- Select the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension. If the extension popup doesn’t automatically appear on your screen, make sure it’s turned on.
- Click Get started.
- Click Select a model from a list, or type in the model number of the Chromebook you want to recover. To find this number, look at the bottom of the error message on your Chromebook screen.
- Click Continue.
- Insert your USB flash drive into the working computer.
- In the dropdown menu, choose your USB flash drive.
- Click Continue Create now.
- When you get a message that your recovery media is ready, remove your USB flash drive from the computer.
Step 3: Begin recovery
On the Chromebook with the error, select Recover using external disk and follow the on-screen instructions.