Requesting a couple details for eyes-free framework DIY installation

They announced their collaboration with Framework in the new release. You can see the latest news in the page below. (There is no specific link for the news article. Inconvenient web design.)

https://www.orbitresearch.com/news/ -
Announcing the Integration of the Framework Ecosystem into the Optima Braille Laptop Computer

Ok, with the instructions here as well as some trying around, I did manage to get everything seated. However, I am now running into another issue.
I wrote a win11 image to an, admittedly very old, USB stick and the writing was successful.
When I power on the laptop, the fans come on and the machine is obviously working, but the screen stays entirely black. This is after jacking it into the power adapter for a while and leaving it to charge, and with the power cable inserted on powering on the device.
Everything appears to be connected and seated just fine, I mean …storage and RAM only go in one way and so does the input cover connector, so I’m not super sure what to do to debug this one. There’s no boot beeps or error noises indicating something’s wrong, and given the screen stays black even when repeatedly pressing f12 to bring up the boot options, how would you go about checking what the issue even is?

1 Like

From my experience, this is unfortunately the point when you would need someone who can see to help you. Despite the fact that UEFI firmware has advanced to the point where it could be made accessible, including any error messages that may or may not come up, no manufacturer has put in the effort to make UEFI firmware accessible beyond beeps, if such a thing is an option at all. On the Framework laptops, LED’s blink in various patterns and different colors, which you can’t see as a blind person, and there’s no audio output on the UEFI firmware, sadly.

Aside from these limitations, there are a couple things that could be causing a problem with your USB drive not booting. When you created the Windows 11 install image, did you use Microsoft’s official media creation tool, or a third party program? Others have indicated that utilizing tools such as Rufus could be problematic. The other two issues I could think of, is that your USB drive is for some reason not compatible with booting from a UEFI system, something on the SSD may be interfeering with the process of booting from the USB drive, the USB drive is for some reason not being detected by the computer, or secure boot is enabled and the drive isn’t configured for secure booting. Some of these are more unlikely than others, but all are potential possibilities.

The best way to diagnose this at this point, would be to have someone that can see help you, whether this be through a smartphone camera, or someone being physically with you and your laptop. Those are all the ideas I’ve got at this point.

Also, for those who posted the directions on the RTC battery replacement and insertion, thank you, there’s definitely more information there than the official guides provide.

1 Like

The black screen doesn’t look like the symptoms that would stem from a Windows image not written with the official Microsoft tool.

It looks more like a hardware problem, where indeed the blinking pattern of the side LED would help (on the side of the laptop where the power is connected).

But even without the blinking pattern I can try to have a wild guess. Maybe check that the RAM sticks are fully inserted (they really need to be inserted as deep as possible).

I would also try to get more info by using the BIOS screen, available by pressing F2 after powering up (what I do usually is to hammer repeatedly F2 immediately after I power on without stopping until the BIOS screen shows up).

Ah and I would also try to hammer F3, because that brings up the EFI menu. Very often, in the EFI menu you can see items not present in the F12 menu.

1 Like

Yep, Was just about to report back. It was a RAM stik not quite properly seated. Works now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No. It is still ML1220.

3 Likes