[RESOLVED] How do I install BIOS updates with Linux

I have a 11th Gen Framework 13, currently at BIOS version 3.07. I would like to update it to the current version 3.19. The laptop has only Fedora linux installed.

There are only downloads for Windows 10 and 11. How can I update the BIOS if I only have Linux installed?

Details can be found at BIOS and Drivers Downloads

You will also find Linux specific details in the laptop generation docs for your firmware.

1 Like

Looking at https://knowledgebase.frame.work/en_us/framework-laptop-bios-releases-S1dMQt6F the Linux instructions are: “Use the UEFI Shell update method instead for this release.”
The UEFI instructions are “In order to avoid delaying Beta testing further, we’re releasing the Windows updater first. We do intend to have an UEFI Shell based updater available for those on Linux or other OS’s.”

Does this mean that I have to wait until the UEFI installer is available, or is there a workaround, for example with a Windows Live USB?

It appears you are correct. The only way currently to install 3.19 is via Windows. If you look at the download page, they say “BIOS 3.19 EFI Shell update (coming soon)”. You can upgrade to 3.17, it appears.

1 Like

For 11th gen, yes, at this time you will want to use Windows2go or install Windows to update.

Thanks! I was able to update to 3.17 for now, and will look into how I can create a windows live boot stick.

2 Likes

Using some tips I read on lemmy.ml, I was able to use the Windows installer for the current BIOS version without having Windows on my laptop.

You can flash Windows onto a USB stick, or optionally use Ventoy to boot from the downloaded ISO.

• Put the downloaded BIOS installer on a separate USB stick

The following is optional if you want to use Ventoy:

• Flash ventoy on a USB stick.
  • Download a Windows ISO of choice, and copy the ISO file onto the USB stick.
  • Using Ventoy, boot into Windows.

Otherwise, use a Windows boot medium.

• When booting into the Windows installer, do not continue the installer, but select “Repair my PC”.
  • Select “Troubleshoot”, and then “Use command prompt”.
  • Go to the drive with the BIOS installer. In my case, it was D:
  • And execute the BIOS installer file.

That’s it!

3 Likes

Thanks @ChrisGC !
Worked perfectly for me. :smile:

As it appears to have been six months now that 3.19 has been listed as coming soon for Linux, I’d note to those who see this thread that toward the end of the 3.19 release thread, eg, this one, that describe an unofficial way to install the updates without any need for Windows (even the Windows installer).

That is outstanding. My Windows skills are, to be fair, dated. So this is very helpful. :slight_smile:

Correct. As someone who literally only uses Linux, I feel this. I do not have an ETA, however, it’s near and dear to my heart - the moment I have this, I will be updating it. I am actively monitoring progress and am laser focused on getting updates out as I have them.

@ChrisGC @Matt_Hartley
msiexec does not seem to be present on the windows 11 recovery console; what command line did you use here?

Since this may be of relevance here as well, I’ve created an updater to update on Linux through the UEFI shell. There are some caveats and you may not trust all files provided there-in (read the README):

I didn’t need to use msiexec. I used the installer for Windows 10, which is a normal exe file and can be started from the command line.