[RESOLVED] Kernel 6.4 hang at boot TPM Bug Confirmed

Sure @Matt_Hartley. I hope I’ve got this right.

Kernel: Linux 6.4.4-200.fc38.x86_64
Distro: Fedora Linux
Release (rolling releases like Arch just respond with Arch again): 6.4.4-200.fc38.x86_64 38 (Workspace Edition)

I’ve tried that tpm_tis.interrupts=0 thing a few times, it definitely isn’t taking for me.

1 Like

This is looking promising:

1 Like

Yeah, it got confirmed for official 6.4.5, after the fix in Arch in 6.4.4 through patches. I’m eagerly awaiting it for Tumbleweed, as we didin’t get specific fix, similarly to Fedora. tpm_tis.interrupts=0 works for me, but Hybernation disappeared from KDE shutdown menu (not sure if related, might be something from 6.4.x).

1 Like

Appreciate the update.

Kernel: 6.4.4.-100.fc37
Distro: Fedora
Release: 37 Workstation
Framework: i5-1240p

Booting into 6.3.12-100 worked.
I suggest changing the title to something “hang at boot” related since basically any fedora framework user (who updates their system) is affected at this point.

1 Like

Okay, on Fedora 38 on 12th Gen mainboards.

This workaround confirmed working for me on multiple 12th gen boards:

• Boot into previous kernel from grub menu.
  • Terminal, run sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="tpm_tis.interrupts=0"
  • Reboot into 6.4.4 and it hangs for a split second, then arrives at the expected screen successfully.
  • This was done without external displays attached or anything other than power to the laptop.

Anyone who is experiencing this after running the above command and rebooting, please list the following:

• 11th, 12th or 13th gen?
  • On GNOME, about, what CPU is listed?
1 Like

That worked for me @Matt_Hartley. The only difference this time was that I noted what you wrote and disconnected my external display before rebooting. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.

1 Like

Running into this on a new install today. (Framework 13, Intel)
Installed Fedora 38, everything is good (kernel 6.2.9)
Did a full dnf update, which installed kernel 6.4.4
Hangs with black screen on boot, if I select the newer kernel.
Still boots fine on 6.2.9

1 Like

ubuntu mainline (https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/)
is good starting with 6.4.6

6.4.0-6.4.3 hangs
6.4.4 and 6.4.5 don’t exist (failed builds)
6.4.6 runs

(with TPM available in bios and without tpm_tis.interrupts=0)

2 Likes

Awesome! Appreciate the assist! :slight_smile:

I should have added that I am using Fedora 38, gnome 44.3 as well, 12th Gen unit… Command I used: sudo grubby --args="tpm_tis.interrupts=0" --update-kernel DEFAULT

1 Like

Yes!

After a software update from Fedora, my Framework 12th gen got stuck at the “Framework” splash screen during boot.

By holding down the power button to turn off, then pressing it again to turn on, it gave me the option to boot using an earlier version of the kernel (6.3.something). Once logged in, I used terminal command from this thread sudo grubby --args="tpm_tis.interrupts=0" --update-kernel DEFAULT and restarted. My laptop now boots into kernel version 6.4.4-200.fc38.x86_64 just fine.

Thank you! This is why I love my Framework. If there’s a problem with Linux I know I’ll be able to get help with it really quickly.

2 Likes

Framework 13, 13th Gen, Fedora 38, XFCE
Running the below worked:

sudo grubby --args="tpm_tis.interrupts=0" --update-kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-6.4.4-200.fc38.x86_64
2 Likes

Hi,

I’ve just installed linux-image-6.4.0-1-amd64 from Debian Testing on my first generation FrameWork 13 DIY (on an up to date testing system). Unfortunately the boot attempt is running into Kernel Panic. I’m able to boot from grub alternatives 6.3.0-2-amd64. Any idea if something is broken with kernel 6.4.0?

Kind regards, Andreass.

Hi Andreas,

I’m just answering from a running linux-image-6.4.0-1-amd64 on first gen FrameWork 13 DIY. So it did not crash here.
How far has the boot up come on your laptop? Could you see some of the last log messages?

Best regards

PS: Maybe I was successful, because I’m using refind instead of grub and dracut to generate initrds.

The issue is fixed in kernel 6.4.4, so get that version if you want to use Kernel 6.4

Debian version numbers may be a bit misleading. linux-image-6.4.0-1-amd64 actually contains Linux kernel 6.4.4.

I’m not keen on any kernel version - just need a running laptop. Removing the actual kernel package and falling back to the previous one is a perfectly valid solution for me. But I wanted to report the issue.
Regarding the question: I’m just getting the first three or for messages on screen before grub is starting. I also have to pick from grub alternatives when trying to hibernate my now running 6.3.0-2.
Kind regards, Andreas.

See here, likely the same issue:

Doing some post merging here, so if you see links to this thread here, it’s fine.

Folks, we have determined the following:

• Fedora 38 we can add the needed parameter: sudo grubby --args="tpm_tis.interrupts=0" --update-kernel DEFAULT
    has worked over and over internally.
  • Ubuntu 22.04 users can simply skip this entirely and get to with 6.4.6 (thanks @Brian_White)
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cappelikan/ppa -y && sudo apt update && sudo apt install mainline -y && sudo mainline --install-latest --yes

With both examples, simply rebooting afterward will get you to a good state.

4 Likes