[RESPONDED] AMD 7040 Linux - Boiling hot, stuck in sleep(?)

Please do keep us posted. Thank you

1 Like

I have experienced the same behavior on 6.7.4-arch1-1.

Has this been tested with an earlier kernel? A release or two earlier for example? I’d also get this in front of other arch users who may have some similar experiences.

I have been suspending this machine multiple times every day since I got it and never experienced this issue. (1st batch AMD).

For the record I’m on a 13’ 7840U device, without any peripherals.

To be honest, if somebody experiences this I would expect them to report it.
It is fairly scary, “boiling hot” is an apt description.

As I am not experiencing this on Fedora, and I cannot repo it there. I wanted to better understand specific kernel releases as I feel like suspend isn’t happening at all.

Ideally we work to get this done before it starts heating up. This means do not put the laptop into sleep. Instead, run this. I have seen this before when suspend is not happening correctly. Following this below, you should not see the heat issue.

• Disconnect everything from the laptop. No docks, attached peripherals, just power is left attached.

• Let’s start by looking at what the outcome of this script happens to be.

sudo python3 amd_s2idle.py

I’d like to see the output of this specifically.

A friendly reminder, Arch is a community support distro. So ideally, we would test this by installing an officially supported distro and seeing if the behavior happens there.

If it does, we’d suggest opening a ticket, linking to this thread and we now suspect hardware.

If works correctly on a fully installed, fully updated install of Fedora, this is an Arch bug that would need to be reported.

I actually don’t usually let my machines sleep. When I’m not using them, I power it off. It’s a habit I got into a long time ago in college when I came home to a hot macbook (a core 2 duo pre-unibody) that had been cooking in my backpack for a while. After that I’ve never trusted sleep.

I can put my machine to sleep and it appears to be sleeping, but I haven’t left it long enough like that to see if it goes into egg cooker mode.

1 Like

My first actual computers were Atari 800’s and 286 PC-DOS PC’s.
No opportunity to sleep or hibernate on either of those.

I learned to save work, exit applications and shut them down when done.
Still do that today.

My FW13 Batch 1 11th Gen boots fast enough for me, and I do a variety of things, so I don’t want it to come up with other than a home screen.

Sorry, I should have responded much earlier that booting into the newer kernel on Fedora resolved the issue.

Fantastic! Delighted to hear this. Mark this one for Fedora.

Arch users, how is testing on linux-lts going for testing?

1 Like

I’m on the most recent Kernel for Fedora 39 and I still continue to have this problem. I ran the aforementioned script and everything is where it should be. I was working in IntelliJ doing some work and left it for 30 or so minutes, came back, boiling hot. This behavior also happens when I’m running Windows, once it goes to sleep and stays in sleep for any significant amount of time, I can flip it upside down and cook my breakfast on it…kinda scary!

Same here, using Archlinux and the most recent kernel, I was running out of battery so I put the computer in sleep mode, plugged in the charger and walked away.
I forgot about it and walked back several hours later and the laptop was hot to touch, really really hot /,and the fan was off. It didn’t resume so I just held the power button to turn it off.

oh jeez! If it’s happening in both Fedora and Windows, I wonder if it could be resolved with a BIOS update. Question, I’m curious as to why you haven’t upgraded to Fedora 40?

I honestly just hadn’t got around to it. The auto-update tool in Fedora kept giving me errors every time I tried so I just need backup my most important things and just do a fresh install of 40.

Try these commands, per recommendation by a friend who’s a Red Hat engineer, for upgrading to the next release of Fedora:

sudo dnf upgrade --refresh -y
sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade -y
sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=40 -y
sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot

Have since upgraded and so far no more heating issues…however…the stuck in sleep state is still occurring, which still results in me having to hard shutdown.

If you download this script that Matt H mentioned, and run it from terminal, what are the results?
I’ve recorded my terminal session here to give an example run of it.

Hi. I experinenced this issue with Dell w/ Ryzen 8040. I have seen it only once in 10 days, with kernel-6.9.

Thus it must be a kernel issue, but somehow I can’t find any similar reports outside of frame.work. (There’s another report at frame.work 3 days ago.)

IIRC it didn’t resume, so I rebooted and the sensors (1) reported some are > 90°C. Mine reads like this:

dell_smm-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Processor Fan: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 4818 RPM)
Other: +43.0°C
CPU: +43.0°C
Ambient: +44.0°C
SODIMM: +41.0°C
Other: +16.0°C
temp6: +43.0°C
temp7: +43.0°C
temp8: +43.0°C
temp9: +43.0°C
temp10: +43.0°C

At that time temp6 - temp10 were abnormally hot. (There’s also other sensors, like GPU or SSD, but they were ok.)

To mitigate the issue, I put my PC into sleep and leave it for a while. Later I touch and check the temperature is normal. ;)

It’s great that Mario Limonciello from AMD reads this forum. \(ツ)/

1 Like

By the way if you have Ryzen 7040 or 8040 be careful with 6.7+ and 6.10:

• 6.7+ kernels may be unbootable. To avoid it, add
    blacklist amd_sfh
    in your /etc/modprobe.d/* or elsewhere. The fix is almost done.
    (In fact my kernel loads that module, but with that line the system is usable.)
  • 6.10 has a problem playing video. It is said that the system will freeze.

Thanks @teika_kazura for directing me to this thread. This, or something that sounds very similar, is still an issue on Fedora 40 (FW 16 in my case) and gave me a pretty terrifying surprise at the airport last week.

Update: I haven’t experienced any “boiling hot sleep” in the last 50 days. In fact it happend to me only once. (Remember mine is actually a Dell, not a Framework.)