[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

I’ve just received an email saying mass production of the Framework 13 AMD version has started! Let’s goooo!

14 Likes

I hope they release the supported memories we can use.

This has been in the Knowledge Base for months - if that’s what you’re looking for:

/herodot

1 Like

It’s not.

Probably you didn’t read the whole thread but many people here(myself included) are worried about which specific memories will work as most memories in the market use XMP and are not explicit about their JEDEC timmings.

@herodot As best as I can see, all that article contains so far is a promise to test some RAM sticks and list the results—there are no actual results there yet, and in fact hardly anything except for the statement that DDR5-5600 should be supported (as expected from AMD’s specs for the CPU).

I don’t mean to accuse Framework of anything or even complain about them — I’m certain they have a lot on their plate right now — but I do mean to say that this is much less than what I wish the article contained, and certainly insufficient for me to shop for RAM with any degree of confidence.

(I’m also more than a little bit surprised at the statement about ECC, because AMD lists ECC for the specific SKUs the Framework 13 is using given “platform support”, whatever that means. But I can readily believe that AMD is being screwy about this in some way, and the realities of business being what they are, Framework can hardly go out and say it.)

2 Likes

Hello all. We’re not being cagey. We recommend against XMP memory due to compatibility issues. As far as ECC support, we can 100% confirm it is not something that will be available. The 7040u series CPUs that we’re offering are not the “Pro” series variants which are required for full ECC support, per AMD.

Avoid XMP and you should be fine with DDR5 SODIMMs with standard timings (DDR5-5600 recommended).

There is no conspiracy here.

13 Likes

So, question about that. Is only 5600 supported? I’m happy I was able to get my hands on 5600 before mine shipped, but if I hadn’t, would I be screwed? That’s an answer I can’t seem to find anywhere.

Unfortunately most of memories in the market are XMP that’s why having a list of tested memories would be useful.

It will probably reduce support inquiries and debug time.

4 Likes

Thank you for the definitive answer! Wonder what AMD mean when they list ECC support for the non-PRO versions (at the links in my post above), but of course that’s not a question for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like with every Computer you can put in slower RAM and it will work - at slower speed.
Most likely you can put in faster RAM - if it’s to fast it will be clocked down to 5600 and will work too. Maybe you need to clock down manually in BIOS.

You’re sure about SO-DIMMS too?? If I search for DDR5-5600 SO-DIMMs up to 16GB I get 14 without XMP and only 2 with XMP, over all sizes it’s 29 vs. 8: Geizhals.at (german)

EDIT: please be aware that these information may or may not be incorrect. Please double check with the manufacturer website.

1 Like

Your link has a search result that’s misleading I suggest you to enter into the manufacturer and get the real specification.

Memories that support only JEDEC are not the majority for sure. Most of them is a mix between JEDEC and some other stuff like XMP, PnP and EXPO.

If no compatible list is released until dispatched I’ll probably go with Kingston Value RAM.

1 Like

Or Crucial they have only JEDEC as far as i know.

1 Like

That’s a good suggestion, Crucial seems cheaper.
Thanks!

1 Like

I’m currently looking at a Crucial kit and a Kingston Fury Impact kit, and I’ll just note that the timings of the Crucial are larger (slower), at CL46-45-45, than those of the Kingston, CL40-40-40. Unfortunately, I can’t for the life of me figure out whether the spec sheet means whether the latter are the JEDEC timings or the PnP overclocking timings without the JEDEC ones being listed at all. (Kingston’s non-“gaming” kit seems the same as Crucial, though, at CL46-45-45.)

1 Like

Did it randomly. Found only G.Skill having XMP-RAM (correctly advertised in my search). Crucial, Teamgroup, Kingston (both Fury and ValueRAM), Transcend and Adata didn’t mention XMP. Patriot has both XMP and JEDEC. So there seems to be plenty of choices.

Do you think some of them use XMP and alike without mentioning it? That would be misleading for sure.

I guess it’s much different for Dekstop RAM, didn’t check that for DDR5 yet. But at least for DDR4 there were a lot more XMP- than JEDEC-Kits.

If you want to trust that source it’s up to you.
I won’t go for each of the item in the list just to prove someone in the internet wrong.

I obviously didn’t check all memories in the whole world to check if most of them are JEDEC only. That’s my impression based on the search that I did in the location I live looking for the memory size I’m interested in.

For instance Kingston Fury spec files are ambiguous they talk about JEDEC but then list PnP and XMP profiles. :person_shrugging:

Same to me :handshake:

It seems that the Crucial won’t reach 5600 without XMP.

Did you mean to link to the Amazon product page? I can’t really find anything about the relation between reaching 5600 MT/s and XMP on it one way or the other. But then there’s quite a lot of stuff there. So if you could clarify which part you are referring to there, I think it would be really helpful.

1 Like

Sorry, I think this link will work. I’ve corrected my post. Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

2 Likes