[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

Please take no offense to this but saying won’t work is fairly harsh. If it’s adding to extra support messages i get it but it was used more as a reference then anything for people that were interested on how things are going. For example it’s how i found out that a decent number of people order with micro sd, a card i assumed was unpopular.

3 Likes

Hi @Jeef,

Unfortunately, I have to stick to my wording and say it won’t work for the purposes that people will use it for. If you sat with us while we triage these tickets, being yelled at because someone shipped before another person who placed an order after they did, linking to a Community spreadsheet as proof of some sort of operational failure, you would understand. If you are going to maintain a spreadsheet, please be transparent that it has absolutely no bearing on ship timing or batch placement.

18 Likes

Hey @TheTwistgibber with machines shipping within 6 days - what is a realistic time to expect the update to the RAM compatibility KB page? Particularly the 3rd party “common retail” units reference. Thanks.

1 Like

While I am also a fanboy and eagerly waiting for my Framework 16 in batch 3, I can understand the concern by Framework team raised by @TheTwistgibber about the community spreadsheet causing some customers to needlessly complain and contact support.

Having said that, it would be in the best interest of Framework AND their fans if there were regular updates, of any kind, about the production and shipping. Most of the customers who have pre-ordered are excited and enthusiastic about their framework laptops arriving soon, and any attempt by them to learn about when their batch will ship is justified.

A best case scenario I can think of is if Framework would post video updates of the laptops being manufactured in different stages and being shipped for different batches, via their Youtube and other platforms. It will not only keep the fans excited and happy as they will be receiving updates in some form, it will also increase the engagement and bring in more people, hopefully. I know that the team must be working overtime, but taking short videos to show something already being done in the production space/warehouse will not take much time away from the team, especially since now they have at least one employee dedicated for content/Social media stuff.

2 Likes

As a team of less than 50 globally, video updates of different stages of shipping for different batches is just not feasible. We’ve been providing updates via email to those in the first batch and just sent another update yesterday. We have a singular employee focused on content, but they are spread thin on a number of initiatives. Once Batch 1 shipping has begun, we’ll have a better line of sight to future batch timing. As we’ve stated in public blogs and posts, the delay was in the initial MP (Mass Production) ramp, and we’re working to load/flash the latest software updates via our collaboration with partners like AMD so that Batch 1 orders can ship as soon as possible. The initial delays do not cascade linearly as the product is being manufactured in bulk now with future batches taken into account.

We absolutely appreciate the enthusiasm, but unfortunately, some of the enthusiasm has become toxic across a number of channels requiring constant management/moderation. There is a dramatic underestimation of the LoE (Level of Effort) to plan and execute initiatives deemed “easy” or “simple” by Community members. I assure you we’re doing everything internally to ship pre-ordered product, and when we have high-confidence updates to share, we do, and we will.

Thank you for your continued patience.

17 Likes

There is a meeting with our partner later this evening and we are hoping that a list will be provided. Once we have that list, the KB article will be updated with urgency. This said, per the article, “Any DDR5 SO-DIMM modules that follow JEDEC standard timings should function smoothly.” Our list will NOT be exhaustive, and there are plenty of compatible brands that meet those specifications available globally.

15 Likes

@TheTwistgibber Wanted to send you and the Framework team a note of thanks. While I’m relatively new here, from my perspective the level of transparency, thought, and effort you all put into these products has been excellent. I hope the toxicity you experience doesn’t distract from the goodness the rest of us have witnessed and hopefully communicated that to you.

28 Likes

keanu-reeves-thank-you

17 Likes

Batch 4 here. I ordered in June. To those who are complaining about lack of transparency, or otherwise think that Framework is deficient or less than forthcoming with communications about their engineering, acquisition, manufacturing or delivery processes: go buy a Dell.

You knew what you were getting into. Framework (and I mean no slight by this) is a cutting-edge (dare I say “boutique”) engineering shop who is trying to bring a great idea to what most people are accustomed to as a mass-production industry. This laptop in particular is a brand new architecture, with a brand new motherboard and brand new firmware. If you were expecting the convenience of walking into BestBuy or shopping on Amazon and getting your device in 3 days, you do not understand what is happening, or what you have pre-ordered.

Frankly, they have gone above and beyond on communicating about delays, the reasons for, and projected timelines. Good luck getting this from Dell, HP, etc.

My recommendation: be patient. Both now and when you get your device and the (inevitable) issues crop up because nobody has done this before with this architecture in this form factor. Framework has shown a commitment to transparency and to making every effort to deliver a solid product. They deserve a little bit of leeway for that.

27 Likes

I’m not sure if a “Fuck off” is in any way good style. No one in this thread wants something else than a framebook. And asking is hopefully not toxic (@TheTwistgibber ) no need to escalate in any direction.

6 Likes

I am still wondering about the batch sizes :face_in_clouds:

I think you’ve misunderstood his point. He was emphasizing that you wouldn’t get this level of public communication from a major brand such as Dell.

2 Likes

I think we are all misunderstanding each other points for the sake of our own point of view.

The conversation was far nicer and polite when we were talking about other things.

Changing the subject.

Anyone going to run some immutable linux distro? If so which one?
I prepared an Ansible recipe for a Fedora installation but now I’m inclined to try Kinoite. :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

I am planning on either running Fedora Silverblue or Universal Blue - having no experience with immutable Linux so far.
Looking forward to trying it out, they seem very promising!

2 Likes

thank you @TheTwistgibber for the reply and meaningful detail. godspeed.

Those seem really nice! I need to look further into Universal Blue I haven’t tried it and I haven’t seen anyone using it yet, so I have no idea how it looks like. The idea behind it seems top notch though.

I read that fedora also has a Sway Immutable version. So many cool options!

1 Like

I was thinking of given nixos a try but sadly at the moment don’t have a lor of time to mess with it so I’m just going for fedora workstation

Hmm… I was going to go vanilla Fedora, but I guess it’ couldn’t hurt to try Silver Blue(?) instead. If I don’t like it within a few days or so It’s not like I’ll have lost anything important. On occasion I’ve used Toolbox on my desktop machine, or DistroBox on the Steam Deck… That’s like 50% the way there right?

What do people intend to do first when they get theirs? Assuming the fall weather hasn’t set in too hard in Minnesota by that time, I’m going to install my dev tools and do some work-from-hammock in the back yard. My previous laptop died randomly a couple months ago, and I haven’t been able to enjoy the nice September weather. :frowning:

I’m going to install fedora. I’ve never daily driven Linux before so I’m pretty keen.

I’m also going out of country on October 17, so I’m really hoping things line up so it arrives before I leave. but I guess we will seeee :eyes:

@Jordan_Long As promised. Updated knowledge base article which includes additional compatibility information and a tested/validated retail RAM module list as of a couple minutes ago:

19 Likes