[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

For us stuck-in-Anchorage, AK sub-guild: looks like its just been released from customs!

Oct 17 2023 06:41 am

2023-10-17T06:41:00-08:00

International shipment release - Import

7 Likes

Sadly no, still not here… at least tomorrow is wednesday :slight_smile: So two whole days just waiting in the depot roundabout 35km from me. Could have got it faster by walking there and getting it myself :grin:

2 Likes

I need Fedex to hurry up, I’ve been sitting here anxious on if my RAM is gonna be compatible or not for so long LOL it’s just been sitting in a facility an hour away for 8 hours

And here we go ! :blush:

12 Likes

Launched! Windows 11 in this case but my SSD was already pre installed with a Windows 11/Linux Mint combo. Will have to check how Mint holds up.

Mainly because I took my sweet time unboxing and reading the manual, it took me 20 minutes to DIY it and boot it up.

I’m curious to how it holds up in general. I’ll be running several benchmarks

Hardware list:

• Ryzen 5 7640u
  • SK Hynix P31 Gold 2 TB
  • Crucial 2x 32 GB 5600 MHz (CT2K32G56C46S5)

FedEx once again visited the wrong house so right before they left I noticed and intercepted them before they were gone.

10 Likes

Happy to announce that mine is FINALLY here!!!

And even happier to announce that my 4800mhz cl40 RAM is working!!! Once again, my kit is Crucial CT16G48C40S5.

9 Likes

Out of curiosity, why Debian? I love Debian but it moves a bit to slow for my liking :slight_smile:

I work on KDE packaging for Debian. Also yes Debian stable moves slowly but if you’re ready to cope with rare breakages, testing is close to being a rolling distro.

7 Likes

My FW is now operational with the kit from Kingston (KF556S40IBK2-64)! Thanks again to @0xFF and others for reporting working modules early on!

There are apparently some instances where the 5200s are working (not sure which, yet), but I would avoid 5200s if you are still shopping around (or can still return yours). Not worth the hassle. Besides, who doesn’t like more speed?!

Best of luck to all that are still waiting!

10 Likes

LOL no problem, I’m just glad it’s there now. Thank you!

Oml I’m just imagining you performing a steak out of your own neighborhood just laying in wait for your moment…

3 Likes

You don’t want to know how accurate you are…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

For everyone who wanted to know some benchmarks I made a post on reddit.

4 Likes

Seconded. I had been using Debian from about Woody (3.0) to Squeeze (6), when I moved my daily drivers to Gentoo, which I’ve been using since. For much of my Debian time I used “testing” and never had any major issues, sans the odd dependency problem which would resolve no more than a day or two later. Even today for non-daily driver uses (e.g. Raspberry Pi, live USB drive) I use Debian and this thing continues to meet its main selling point as “rock solid”. Even with the “testing” branch which, as @coucouf points out, is pretty similar to a “rolling” distro. And compatibility is high as many third-party packages come in .deb (or .rpm).

I would certainly recommend people to try Debian stable, or testing if stable moves too slow for their liking.

In contrast, Ubuntu gives me pains and aches every… single… time… I’ve tried to use it (incl 22.10) until I ultimately lost all confidence. I’m obviously very biased on the matter, but in my view Ubuntu, as it is today, is an absolute disaster and train wreck. For regular 6mo release distros Fedora is, in my view, far superior.

1 Like

Just got my 7840U board. Not POSTing with Crucial 2x 16 GB 5600 MHz kit CT2K16G56C46S5. Swapped sticks and still has a black screen with the fan blasting after more than 10 minutes.

I’m reading online that desktop Zen 4 takes up to 400 seconds for memory training with 4 DIMMs. Should in theory be less with 2.

EDIT: It booted successfully with a single stick. Now diagnosing whether it’s compatibility, or a bad DIMM/slot.

EDIT 2: Bad DIMM. Amazon kicked me to Crucial who is giving me a compatibility runaround. The one stick works perfectly, the second doesn’t. Getting frustrating.

4 Likes

@Todd_Freeman - great to hear that you got it working. Now that it is, how are the deep blacks? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Todd_Freeman I was going to ask the same thing! :laughing:

Yeah RMAs can be a pain especially if you didn’t buy directly from the manufacturer and it’s outside the normal return window, sigh. Hopefully they will work with you. I’ve had to RMA with Crucial before due to a bad stick as well.

My mainboard is out for delivery today so hoping I don’t have a repeat…

EDIT: up and running, having some issues getting the old mainboard working on my TV in the Cooler Master case but probably user error…

1 Like

Mine arrived today and I had the same problem. I ordered the RAM from Framework. However I noticed that the LEDs on the side were flashing different colurs, it was indicating an issue with RAM. So I moved the single DIMM to Slot 2 and it then it posted.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts? DDR5 is a lot more sensitive to stuff like finger oils on the contacs than previous versions were.

2 Likes