[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

I have Crucial CT48G56C46S5 :slight_smile: Crucial 48GB DDR5-5600 SODIMM | CT48G56C46S5 | Crucial.com

2 Likes

thanks - so the “13.5-14 inch” size?

Yes, there are vPro ax210 and ax200 variants that use PCIe/USB, hence why I mentioned functionally equivalent. Framework offer both versions in the Marketplace if anyone needs a replacement / upgrade.

As for vPro… I’m sure there are those that have their reasons to want it. Perhaps ease of use for large scale management. In any case, happy vendor lock-in to them /s

here is the part number: MRA5S560LKKD48GX2 – I haven’t had time to do more game testing and setup linux dual boot. But I also paired this with a 4tb ssd. This machine is going to be a road warrior.

1 Like

Anyone try the NEMIX ram? Just curious, it has always worked great for me in servers

So on my end, I went ahead and found some of the G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR5 SO-DIMM Series DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MT/s]. Eric_Busch mentioned below and was able to get the display and boot into Windows.

Before I had the Crucial RAM 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5 5200MT/s (or 4800MT/s) Laptop Memory CT2K32G52C42S5 and there was no display output with the HDMI or laptop monitor even though the LED post codes had all Green lights and it was BGBGGGGG after the orange light.

I’m still hoping to get a message from support with a fix for the Crucial RAM.

1 Like

Yep! Here’s some photos of it with the sleeve.

3 Likes

I was in the same boat with that kit from Crucial.

Ended up returning it to Amazon way beyond the return window, though they did charge me a 20% restocking fee. After figuring in eBay’s rate (~13%) and the cost to ship the modules (~$10) to someone else, it seemed like accepting the certain outcome was best.

I didn’t want to deal with a potential return, and I thought I might have to reduce the kit’s value substantially to get them to sell at all (given that I couldn’t confirm whether they worked or not).

If I had it to do over again, I might have listed them on FB or CL. Maybe I could have broke even had I gone that route, but I’ve never dabbled much as a seller in those venues.

Kind of hilarious… In trying to save myself $40, I burned through some hours and lost $40 instead! Lesson learned…

If you did buy your Crucial kit from Amazon and you want to return it, all I did was explain the situation honestly, ~“I bought this kit for a laptop I pre-ordered that was delivered much later than I anticipated. I did not have a machine I could use to test this kit with until recently. I’m hoping you can help me because I am not in a position to recertify this product like you can, so I will be forced to throw them away.” You could even add in something about not wanting to contribute unnecessarily towards e-waste :wink:

They’ll first try to dissuade you by directing you to Crucial for support, but if you keep pressing (be sure to remind them that the kit is advertised as Ryzen 7000 compatible), they will eventually ask you, ~“Why are you returning this item late?” At that point, you may have to repeat your initial message, but you should be golden.

I was surprised. I wasn’t aware Amazon allowed late returns, but it all felt very routine once we got closer to the end of the exchange.

One more tip! Once you make the request, they will put you on hold to (ostensibly) get approval.

If you use the chat feature, don’t let too much time pass between your last message or theirs. Shoot them a “…” or “I’m still here” every 1-2 minutes so that the inactivity timer won’t kick in and disconnect you. Otherwise, you will be forced to start the process all over again (even though their message says, ~“Connecting you to someone who can continue with your request”).

Other sellers may allow you to return them as well, so it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Anyway, I usually go for G.SKILL for memory, but I believe their latency was worse in this case (compared to the same 5600 kit from Kingston).

I’m curious… Were you planning to return the G.SKILL kit if support is somehow able to get your kit from Crucial to work?

3 Likes

and yet Intel still broke compatibility between CNVi and CNVi2 :sob: So now, you have cards that are locked to specific generations of Intel CPUs.

7 Likes

I have a sleeve from Tom Bihn. the 13C variant fits my framework perfectly, no room to slide around and it is snug. I really like it and would recommend it if you can get it. Though its definitely not cheap I bought it for the fit and because it was made with fair business practices than some of the lower cost alternatives.

1 Like

I ordered the AMD mainboard kit as a replacement for the original Intel Gen 11 board, which arrived earlier this week. I got it setup without much issue on my Gentoo install (worked well on 6.1, but I added 6.5 to my accept_keywords to fix sleep) but I’m noticing two problems:

1. It seems the function keys have been swapped for their utility function by default, requiring hitting “fn” to get the standard function keys. I’m not seeing anything in the BIOS to swap this back, am I missing an option?
  2. Occasionally when I turn on the laptop the white LED turns on, but nothing else does. If I hold the power button down it eventually turns off. Sometimes I have to do this a few times before the Framework actually turns on. I’m using the RAM ordered from Framework, and I’m not seeing flashing status LEDs, and once the system turns on I have no farther issues. Is anyone seeing similar issues?

You can enable FN lock with Ctrl+Fn, I believe, which swaps them and seems to be persistent across reboots.

4 Likes

Fn+Esc, I must have done that one day one of getting the Gen 11 back in the day and totally forgot it was event a shortcut, even with the text written out on the keyboard. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

My cooling fins looked the same! Weird.

I also was able to bend them back.

I wonder what’s going on in the packaging process that this happened multiple times.

2 Likes

I have a Batch 1 7840. I have Crucial memory. I have the same issue where the machine powers on but does not boot, just the power light comes on. It boots eventually after a few retries. I have to plug the machine in to get it to boot. When the boot fails I get diagnostic code 0A in hex. The other diagnostic lights are all green.l have raised this with tech support.

I read a few comments regarding that one but I really can’t justify that kind of money.

1 Like

For those looking for a sleeve, i just ordered from here:

Seems to be the only one i can find thats designed for the size of the laptop. Not arrived yet so cant comment on fit or quality, but looks like it should be good.

I just put my laptop in my backpack’s tablet compartment (a 16” external display goes into the main laptop compartment).

Kind of surprised at the lack of reviews on youtube for the Framework 13 AMD models. I’ve only seen like maybe 6 reviews floating around. None from some of the bigger channels like LTT, Jays2Cents, Dave2D, Mobile Tech Review, Hardware Canucks, etc.

8 Likes

Most channels aren’t interested in reviewing/showcasing what is basically the same chassis over and over again. And JayzTwoCents doesn’t even do laptop reviews.