[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

There is a meeting with our partner later this evening and we are hoping that a list will be provided. Once we have that list, the KB article will be updated with urgency. This said, per the article, “Any DDR5 SO-DIMM modules that follow JEDEC standard timings should function smoothly.” Our list will NOT be exhaustive, and there are plenty of compatible brands that meet those specifications available globally.

15 Likes

@TheTwistgibber Wanted to send you and the Framework team a note of thanks. While I’m relatively new here, from my perspective the level of transparency, thought, and effort you all put into these products has been excellent. I hope the toxicity you experience doesn’t distract from the goodness the rest of us have witnessed and hopefully communicated that to you.

28 Likes

keanu-reeves-thank-you

17 Likes

Batch 4 here. I ordered in June. To those who are complaining about lack of transparency, or otherwise think that Framework is deficient or less than forthcoming with communications about their engineering, acquisition, manufacturing or delivery processes: go buy a Dell.

You knew what you were getting into. Framework (and I mean no slight by this) is a cutting-edge (dare I say “boutique”) engineering shop who is trying to bring a great idea to what most people are accustomed to as a mass-production industry. This laptop in particular is a brand new architecture, with a brand new motherboard and brand new firmware. If you were expecting the convenience of walking into BestBuy or shopping on Amazon and getting your device in 3 days, you do not understand what is happening, or what you have pre-ordered.

Frankly, they have gone above and beyond on communicating about delays, the reasons for, and projected timelines. Good luck getting this from Dell, HP, etc.

My recommendation: be patient. Both now and when you get your device and the (inevitable) issues crop up because nobody has done this before with this architecture in this form factor. Framework has shown a commitment to transparency and to making every effort to deliver a solid product. They deserve a little bit of leeway for that.

27 Likes

I’m not sure if a “Fuck off” is in any way good style. No one in this thread wants something else than a framebook. And asking is hopefully not toxic (@TheTwistgibber ) no need to escalate in any direction.

6 Likes

I am still wondering about the batch sizes :face_in_clouds:

I think you’ve misunderstood his point. He was emphasizing that you wouldn’t get this level of public communication from a major brand such as Dell.

2 Likes

I think we are all misunderstanding each other points for the sake of our own point of view.

The conversation was far nicer and polite when we were talking about other things.

Changing the subject.

Anyone going to run some immutable linux distro? If so which one?
I prepared an Ansible recipe for a Fedora installation but now I’m inclined to try Kinoite. :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

I am planning on either running Fedora Silverblue or Universal Blue - having no experience with immutable Linux so far.
Looking forward to trying it out, they seem very promising!

2 Likes

thank you @TheTwistgibber for the reply and meaningful detail. godspeed.

Those seem really nice! I need to look further into Universal Blue I haven’t tried it and I haven’t seen anyone using it yet, so I have no idea how it looks like. The idea behind it seems top notch though.

I read that fedora also has a Sway Immutable version. So many cool options!

1 Like

I was thinking of given nixos a try but sadly at the moment don’t have a lor of time to mess with it so I’m just going for fedora workstation

Hmm… I was going to go vanilla Fedora, but I guess it’ couldn’t hurt to try Silver Blue(?) instead. If I don’t like it within a few days or so It’s not like I’ll have lost anything important. On occasion I’ve used Toolbox on my desktop machine, or DistroBox on the Steam Deck… That’s like 50% the way there right?

What do people intend to do first when they get theirs? Assuming the fall weather hasn’t set in too hard in Minnesota by that time, I’m going to install my dev tools and do some work-from-hammock in the back yard. My previous laptop died randomly a couple months ago, and I haven’t been able to enjoy the nice September weather. :frowning:

I’m going to install fedora. I’ve never daily driven Linux before so I’m pretty keen.

I’m also going out of country on October 17, so I’m really hoping things line up so it arrives before I leave. but I guess we will seeee :eyes:

@Jordan_Long As promised. Updated knowledge base article which includes additional compatibility information and a tested/validated retail RAM module list as of a couple minutes ago:

19 Likes

Oooh, this is exciting. Just curious what “full validation” means.

Is there much beyond verifying that it boots and runs at the advertised speed?

so who’s going to experiment with the 48GB modules? 96GB total would be a trip on a laptop like this.

I bought this one today. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR5 SO-DIMM Series DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MT/s CL40-40-40-89 1.10V Unbuffered Non-ECC Notebook/Laptop Memory SODIMM (F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS)

Features & details

• 64GB kit containing 2 x 32GB modules, DDR5-5600, 262-Pin, CAS Latency CL40 (40-40-40-89) at 1.10V (Intel XMP)
  • ECC: No, Channel: Dual, Recommended Use: High Performance or Gaming Memory
  • XMP profile support to reach up to the rated overclock speed, or run at default JEDEC profile speed
  • Rated XMP frequency & stability depends on MB & CPU capability
  • G.Skill Specifications page: F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS - Specification - G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.
  • Do not mix memory kits. Memory kits are sold in matched kits that are designed to run together as a set. Mixing memory kits will result in stability issues or system failure.

@TheTwistgibber Great stuff, thanks for the update.

In regards to trying modules not on that list, could you provide feedback on the following:

1. If a module has an integrated heat spreader, is there any space available for such a memory stick, or is there zero wiggle room for that?
  2. If a module has chips on both sides, does that create challenges?

Forgive me if the second question is a bit ignorant, as I’m not as familiar with DDR5 SODIMM modules and I couldn’t immediately tell how common it is for such configurations.

TIA

I’ll partially answer my own questions. Brain only firing and a few neurons here.

On the list provided earlier today, I see that a set of Mushkin Redline modules are included and those have a heat spreader, so it appears there is at least some wiggle room for such a thing. Need to research further the second question.

2 Likes